Sales Tax at Apple.Com?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joshua_msu, Aug 5, 2004.

1. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

I was wondering if Apple.Com charges sales tax on orders placed through them? i began to fill out an order for a 15" PB with the Education Discount and updated my subtotal, and did not notice any ntax being charged. This was the final total Im assuming since it asked for my CC number and to place my order. So, does it vary by state or educational discount, or do they just not charge tax? Thanks.

2. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

I've heard if your state has an Apple store in it, they charge you sales tax. However, Apple online doesnt add in the tax until the final step after you enter all yoru information in.

At least all that is AFAIK

3. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Hmmmm, there are a few stores in my state, but it is just odd that it would charge you sales tax after you enter in all your CC info and click on "place order". Oh well, I guess that education discount will have to go to sales tax.

4. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

It seems to me that they are charging tax in almost every state. I had my iPod shipped to North Dakota and they charged tax, but there is no Apple store in North Dakota.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

They charge tax. They don't give you the exact amount when you place your order though. They do give an estimate.

~Dan

6. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

They charged me 6% but ND state sales tax is 6.5%.
    However, they charged 6.5%, when I had it shipped home in MN, the sales tax there is 6.5%. So I don't know where they are getting their figures on charging sales tax.

7. randal macrumors newbie

Taxes

I'm up here in Canada, and they didn't tell me how much the taxes would come to until a day and a half later when the order was processed. When I sent my order through they quoted me just the sale price plus shipping. At first i thought I was patting myself on the back for not buying from a regular store, but then they sent me the invoice :)

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

apple has a rep who is located in each state, which means every state will have tax. it's not just based on the apple store. even if there is a independent dealer in that state it still counts.

iJon

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It happens that if your state has a sales tax, then apple.com will charge you a sales tax. At least as long as your purchase greater than $50 the shipping is free.

10. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yes, I paid sales tax on my online edu order shipped to Mississippi. ugh...oh well free shipping, and 3 hours away from the nearest Apple store I'll get over it. The wife may not when she sees the credit card bill though.

(...still tracking, iPod in Indianapolis, iBook left Taiwan today)

11. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Who says the wife has to see it? :D Just make sure the next item on you bill is from Tiffany's. She might think it is a surprize for her. Or worse, a surprize NOT for her. ;) Either way she'll forget about the Apple purchase.

12. Champale macrumors member

Sales Tax

Yep. Paid sales tax on my PB 15" from the Apple store.

I live in Michigan where there's an Apple Store though. Not sure what happens if there's no store in your state.

And they didn't give me the sales tax until the order had been placed.

Tricky devils...

13. mrbrown macrumors 6502

As long as Apple has any kind of presence in the state (which it does in all 50 states), they are required to charge sales tax if the state/city/county/parish collects sales tax. When I order things from Apple.com @ school in Louisiana, I'm charged the local (Baton Rouge) and state sales taxes, even though there is no Apple Store in the state. However, Apple has a physical presence in the state by selling their products in stores and at independent resellers, and they even have an office in downtown Baton Rouge (have no clue what its for, though).

~Tony

14. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Weird, just this morning I was discussing this same thing with a co-worker whom I have recently convinced an iBook is what she needs. She asked me about sales tax and I wasn't sure off the top of my head so I did a little digging at Apple.com:

More Apple sales policies can be found here.

Hope that helps!