Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
My friend (a life long PC user) is looking to get a Mac. He just visited the Apple Store in Shortbridge Mall in NJ, but forgot to ask:

What's the sales tax in NJ?

We live in PA, where sales tax is 6%. I know that in Phillipsburg and Elizabeth(?) NJ sales tax is only 3%. Is this statewide? If so, that can be a nice money saver :)

radhak

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
That should be Short Hills Mall, NJ.

I did not buy my Mac locally, but am pretty sure the tax is 6%. I have paid 6% for everything here. I can't believe it would be less (3% ?) in Elizabeth; are you sure?

I know that Delaware does not have any tax at all, so maybe he could go to a CompUSA there and buy? (I don't think they have an Apple store).

blvdeast

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Cliffside Park, NJ
Yes the sales tax is 6% in NJ. Some communities are allowed to have a lower tax (3%) becasue their commerce is gone. Mostly poorer and industrialized places have the lower tax.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
stop complaining about a whole 6 percent tax, here is Québec the tax is 15 percent. it made my powerbook go from 4600cad, to about 5200cad.

aethier

kaosfere

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2003
Chicagoland
Originally posted by aethier
stop complaining about a whole 6 percent tax, here is Québec the tax is 15 percent. it made my powerbook go from 4600cad, to about 5200cad.

Stop complaining about that 15 percent tax you have. You gotta pay for that socialized medical system somehow. ;)

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
lol, i guess. free health care, or 11 percent less tax... hmmm, that is a tough one, i spend alot, but do not get sick a lot...

aethier

(but for the people who get sick it is good)

EDIT: actually, i am not sure how the medicare works, it is fre\e, so it does not come from taxes, otherwise, it would not be "FREE health care. our taxes go to other things, like fixing the expensive ciment highways that get ruined everywinter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.