salon interviews clarke

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Mar 28, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

selected quotes:

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The White House has nothing. It's amazing. Nothing.

Will the American people be willing to get it?

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

From what I've seen so far? No. They prefer to bury their heads in the sand. The only ones who get it are those who always did. :(

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, the numbers are small, but hopefully this is only the beginning. Lot's of people are dedicatedly partisan and cannot be swayed, so maybe this means some of the swing vote is swingin'

link

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Contrary to what he contends, I think Clarke has been baited successfully by the administration, at least to a limited extent. When he uses phrases like the "big lie" it suggests an emotional investment. He'd better be careful about how he words his remarks to the press, or he'll begin to look like a partisan, and this is just where the Bush people want him.

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I saw this today. Last night on the news (?) they said that American public's view hadn't changed on his handling of the terrorist threat. Perhpas the difference is in who is polling and what specific questions they are answering. :confused:

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yep -- even small differences in each can produce wildly different results. imo, it's more useful to track a poll from one polling outfit, reassessed over time, than polls from different companies w/ different questions.

8. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

It is extraordinarily frustrating. That is the disadvantage/advantage to having taken college level statistics. One has enough knowledge to be skeptical of any poll but is never given enough information to actually determine that the poll was or was not done well. I think they should be required to give the exact question/statement the person was asked to respond to if they are going to report on the polls.

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

a lot of the polls do that, but you can blame the media for reporting only the results to one or two key indicators (often w/o even reporting on the exact question)

i find the CBS/NYT polls to be in the "more useful" group. e.g. you can see the results of some findings here, and you'll notice in the Learn More box on the left side, you can grab a pdf w/ the actual questions.