salon: Torture begins at the top

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 17, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

his supporting docs:
    Records Released in Response to Torture FOIA Request

U.S. Marines Engaged in Mock Executions of Iraqi Juveniles and Other Forms of Abuse, Documents Obtained by ACLU Reveal

U.S.: New Detainee Deaths Uncovered in Afghanistan

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's been the defense of those who were caught commiting the torture the whole time. More "just following orders", while those at the top get off scot-free. All while the administration claims to be for the troops, yet sends them haphazardly into harms way, not dealing with the ones who commit the crimes, making the good ones look bad, not giving them proper training (or gear). But those of us who criticize are somehow against the troops, while they act like rogue cops, saying it's our fault the bad guys go free even though they are the ones who didn't do their jobs. Choosing to criticize and attack those who point out mistakes, rather than dealing with those mistakes. They did the same after 9/11, until they caved and allowed the 9/11 commision. For the most part.

Then taking responsibility for it, even though it mostly pointed out their own mistakes.

Everyone I know in the military have nothing but bad things to say about the officers at the top. They treat our troops like expendable machines, and refuse to deal with the problems that inevitably come up. I support the troops, from what I've seen, this administration merely claims to.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I thought for sure this would be a thrilling exposé on high-level White House S&M shenanigans that would make Lewinsky look like a softcore scandal.

How mislead I was. :(

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It won't open for me.

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Another conspiracy? or one of those exagerations.

9. pdham macrumors member

What, registering for Skunk's dictionary or that torture thing?

10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Both :D

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The signature thing doesn't bother me all that much. Seems like just another tempest in a teacup, the soldiers dying for oil in the name or terrorism bothers me more.

The Democrats ought to focus on developing a coherent strategy and plan for the future.

But then again, Clinton was eternally dogged by stupid scandals that seem to come out on a daily basis and ended up wasting a lot of his time. The fact that torture hasn't brought more of an outcry from such a pious base is apalling.