Salt - Do You Take It?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shaun.P, Aug 9, 2006.

?

Do You Add Salt To Your Meals? (Irregardless of how often).

1. Yes I have been known to salt my food

61.2%
  2. No, I don't add any salt to enhance the flavour of my meals

38.8%
  1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hey there,

A recent conversation at my work has shown that I am among one of the few people in my work who use salt on meals. The majority of my collegues don't sprinkle any salt on their meals, whereas I have always done it. I have stopped taking salt completely after discovering this. I don't add any salt to any of my meals and I have been doing this for about three weeks.

I was just wondering, do you add salt to your meals? If you don't why? If you do, why?

I asked some people at my work why they don't take salt, one reply was that it makes the food taste 'fake'. Which I suppose is true. If food doesn't taste good without salt then should we consider it as good tasty food?

Is it dangerous to stop taking salt with meals? Is it better for you?

2. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Only on certain things. Chips and rice always get it.

3. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I love salt... couldn't live without it. :) Of course, with it, Im probably slowly killing myself. :eek:

I use salt cause it makes things taste better and adds more flavor.

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

:confused: Salt? Makes food taste fake? Maybe if you put heaps of it on your food. Too much salt is bad, and if you don't need salt I guess that's ok. Iodized salt has something helpful to the body I believe. I don't see why you would stop using salt because others did. It's freakin salt. Sorry but this is a wierd topic. :p

"Salt is necessary for the survival of all living creatures, including humans. Salt is involved in regulating the water content (fluid balance) of the body. Salt flavour is one of the basic tastes. Salt cravings may be caused by trace mineral deficiencies as well as by a deficiency of sodium chloride itself."
    - Wikipedia

5. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

I don't salt anything after its been prepared(except fries, but i rarely eat them).

I do cook quite a bit and use salt sparingly in cooking. It is a flavor enhancer. But needs to be used much less then most people apply it.

6. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Yes, but you get salt naturally through foods that you eat, i.e. bread. So adding salt on top of food isn't necessary.

About the fake comment, let me clarify. If you add make up to your face to look better, you may look better, but it does show the real you. Adding salt to your food enhances the flavour, but it isn't how the food really tastes.

7. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I used to, but most people get too much sodium in their diet anyway.

8. vniow macrumors G4

Sparingly, mostly on the aforementioned fries. I don't think I have any at my place at all.

Pepper on the other hand is a bit more popular among my taste buds. ;)

9. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

If think this poll is going to reveal an approx 50-50 divide!

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Do I "take it" ?

Yes

"have you ever watched The Matrix.....'On Salt! ??"

11. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

12. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I don't usually add salt to any of my meals because I eat so much processed foods that it already has enough salt in it. But I do love salty foods.

13. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Soup needs salt and pepper if you make it yourself. Period.

Fries need salt. Period. If you eat without you're just WEIRD...

Nothing else I can think of right now.

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I always try my food first and then add salt/pepper/vinegar/sauce etc if I think it needs it.

One thing that annoys me is when people pour some salt onto their dish without even trying it first. How do they know it needs salt?

15. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I cook with salt and garlic salt, and I add salt to chips (fries to most of you), but not much else.

16. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

My grandad always did. But in his day he always had a plate of meat 'n' two veg in front of him which he knew hadn't been salted and on which he knew he liked salt. I'm sure it was the same with the old timers in Wales, when they weren't singing close harmony :D

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

With all of the singing in choirs and working down the mines they didn't have time for such luxuries as salt :p

18. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Your co workers are nuts. Ask any chef in a fine restaurant what one of the most important basic ingredients he or she has is, and they will invariably say salt.

As to adding it to your meal, I think a good rule of thumb is to taste the food first. Food should already be salted to the chefs/customer's taste. If things just seem "bland" or missing that spark on your pallette, salt can enhance the hidden flavors that are getting lost in the dish.

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I don't add salt to any of my food after it has already been prepared. I often find food to be too salty for my taste as it is. :eek:

20. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

What, the salty taste?

21. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

French Fries is the first thing that comes to mind. After that though it really comes down to what whatever I'm eating taste like. If its too bland add a little salt 'n pepper.

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Rarely... I put a pinch into some sauces but for the most part, I prefer to use herbs/spices rather than just salt.

The only food that's not right withOUT salt is popcorn ;)

EDIT: added the word 'out' to the sentence above!

23. Lau Guest

I grew up eating hardly any salt, as my mum was concerned about us eating too much salt. However, I've never had a much of a sweet tooth, but I do like salty/savoury food so would find sneaky ways to make things more salty. My mum used to make a huge load of homemade playdough out of flour and stuff, and would add loads of salt to it so we wouldn't eat it. It was mega tasty and I used to eat loads of it. :p

When I cook, I do use salt, because there are definitely foods that need it (my mum never added salt to the pasta water for instance :eek: ) and does bring out the flavours of food. I've also rediscovered food I didn't like as a kid (like boiled eggs) are delicious with salt. Mum, why didn't you think of that? :p However, I'm a bit of a spice and condiment queen in general – I use tons of black pepper, and chilli, and vinegar and herbs.

As for adding it at the table, I never do, apart from on chips, because what good are chips without salt? :) And tons of vinegar. If I've cooked it, it'll already be salty, and when eating out, things are usually on the too-salty side as opposed to not enough.

Applespider – no way?! The only flavour of popcorn that's right is salty!

24. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    oops... wrong way round. That's exactly what I meant to say... :eek:

25. Lau Guest

In that case, I nod to your good taste. ;)