Salvation Army allowed to discriminate with public money

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chacala_Nayarit, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Use of religion in hiring decisions OK - NPR audio, cannot find anything in text, strange enough.

The Salvation Army up until a few years ago accepted federal money and hired people without regard to their religion. In the past few years, they have reversed this policy, and now scrutinize their employees religion.

The City of Portland, Maine will not do business with the Salvation Army because it will not hire homosexuals. ;)

"Jews and Catholics need not apply." OK, so the real targets will be Wiccans, atheists, gays (with the exception of a few states so far - until Federal laws trump them), lesbians, Mormons, Muslims, and other groups that it is popular to hate in the US. Keep in mind that this is your tax money funding this, and it does not matter if you are the most qualified person.

And the sad thing is that this sort of thing is getting to the level that the precedents are now laid (both in the laws/practice and in judicial decisions) - it will take decades to recover from the spate of government pushing religion. And that is being optimistic.

Part of me hopes that some ultra-fundamentalist group takes real control of the direction so the mainstream Christians understand (once again) why the separation of Church and State is good for religion as well as the non-religious.

Here's to hoping that the direction changes before atheist "reeducation" camps pop up.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Where is the ACLU in all of this? I know the administration is keeping them really busy, but come on! I'm sick of my tax dollars paying for discrimination.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

they're all over it. this article is from 2001.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks zim, but they need to obviously work harder.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks for the info. I'm certainly not giving them my money anymore.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

they need more funding, for starters. and a better PR campaign, too. i don't doubt that they work very hard (i know a lawyer who works in the chicago office) and commend them for deciding to work for such causes, and for relatively low pay on top of it.

a somewhat thankless role, i reckon.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Who? The Sally Ally or the ACLU?

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Salvation Army. If they're going to discriminate when it comes to hiring people, then I'll discriminate when it comes to donating.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sure you're right.