Sam And Max Hit The Road

Discussion in 'Games' started by Baseline, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Baseline macrumors member

Can anyone tell me if the old Mac version of this game works under Panther?

The recent cancellation of the MUCH anticipated sequel has left a gaping hole in my heart, and I need some classic Sam And Max action to fill it.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Try SCUMMVM at versiontracker.com. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it to work, but it certainly does once you get it going.

3. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

I tried Full Throttle on that a while ago and didn't have much luck. I almost cried when they stopped development of the sequel to that. Sam and Max is a great classic though.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Really? :( :( :(

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I got the x86 CD version of Sam & Max working just fine using the SCUMM VM under OS X. Played it all the way through no problems.

6. Rob Nance macrumors newbie

The cancellation of Sam and Max 2 is tragic. Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Zak McCracken, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango...I could go on and on. I would love for a sequel of any of these. Lucas is too busy cashing in on their Star Wars franchise, running it into the ground by flooding the market. Do we need to remind them of the Star Trek franchise's demise by flooding the market with garbage?

7. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I seem to recall a problem with the mini-game where Max is on top of the car jumping over all the roadsigns. Did you have any problem with it?

9. Baseline thread starter macrumors member

Well, SCUMMVM lists that as a current compatability issue ("Highway subgame doesn't behave correctly"), which is why I started this thread. I was really wondering about the native Mac version.

But after I posted I remembered I don't even have Classic installed, what with me being the Switcher that I am and having no classic apps.

Guess that SCUMMVM is my only chance now.

For all those wondering, Lucasarts still sells the game on their website, http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/adventure/

Comes with Sam and Max, Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis, and Maniac Mansion II.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

That mini game doesn't work but... it's not required to complete the game... and it doesn't crash SCUMM VM to play it either. I saved, went to the mini-game... and the mini-game is dumb anyhow... you just jump over highway signs... it doesn't get you anything or advance you at all... then once I lost the mini-game it went back to the game... nothing was actually wrong as far as I could tell except the mini-game went too fast.

11. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I had that game once upon a time...on my LC 575.

I remember beating it....something about a huge ball of twine and some kid bending spoons....and a helicopter? Hmmm.. Long time ago...

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I remember removing Classic from my first Mac, thinking I would never use it. I'm not going to make that mistake again!

13. Baseline thread starter macrumors member

It seems that SCUMMVM can work with the old Mac version as well. No need whatsoever for Classic (at least for me)

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well i just signed that petition. we definitely need more good games like that. :)