Samba 1.3.1

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by titaniumducky, Mar 16, 2004.

1. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

In the OS X 10.3.3 thread I saw mention of Samba 1.3.1 - EDIT: APPARENTLY THIS PERSON THOUGHT THE TOPIC WAS IPOD FIRMWARE. I tried to update to 1.3.1 except I couldn't find it. At samba's website I downloaded what they reported to be the latest version - 3.0.2a. I followed instructions on Apple's site to install it.

When I checked directory access, it now reports 1.1.2! :( 1.2.1 is better than that...

My question is how do I get 1.2.1 back? Please help.

2. titaniumducky thread starter macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Well, I seem to be able to connect to shares, so I guess it's not a huge deal; still if someone could explain to me what to do...

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I'm confused

Panther does have Samba 3 built in. That is what it uses to file share, Apple was the first to ship Samba 3 too. Now why are you installing it free hand, it don't think it will be the Samba that gets used when you turn on file sharing under systems preferences.

What you did was installed the Unix Samba 3 under the BSD that runs the Mac OS X. See, Apple has put Samba in a directory of its own that isn't its normal spot, and when you install this download, it puts it into the normal directory, not the one that Apple has designated for being used when turning on sharing. At least I believe that is right.

And what made you try to do this?

4. titaniumducky thread starter macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I was confused because Directory Access apparently reports Samba 3.x.x versions as a 1.x.x number. When I looked at the samba website and saw 3.x.x instead, and I saw directions on Apple's site for upgrading Samba, I decided to try it. Apple does include directions to have this version of Samba turn on at startup (which I can easily disable).

Unfortunately the OS X version of Samba that I installed is actually a older version, which is reported as 1.1.2 by directory service (as opposed to 1.2.1 that is default).

I can connect to Windows computers by smb more seamlessly, but the 10.3.3 update was supposed to do that too. I hadn't tested whether I could connect in 10.3.3.

Can you help, by any chance?

EDIT: I SEEM TO HAVE FOUND AN OPTION (UNINSTALL BINARIES/REVERT BINARIES). I WILL TRY REVERT FIRST THEN UNINSTALL AND TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENS.

5. titaniumducky thread starter macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I did this, but Windows Sharing is disabled in Sharing Preferences. It says to use my OS X install disk - I'm going to use Pacifist to look for it. Does anyone know where the System Preferences stuff (SMB/Windows Sharing) would be? I'm having some trouble finding it. The OS X 10.3.3 installer doesn't see anything to add; I can still connect to PCs but nothing appears under "Network."

6. titaniumducky thread starter macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Well, since I haven't been able to fix it, I'm just going to use the 3.0.2a version; I'm reinstalling it now.

Windows computers can't see me...

I guess I'll use DAVE 5.