Same app, different binaries, peaceful coexistance!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mechcozmo, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I downloaded the new "Temperature Monitor" app. I had 2.5, the new is 3.2. :eek: Anyway, I quit the old one, dragged the new one from the disk image to my Applications folder... and.... it copied! No prompting to overwrite!

:confused:

Turns out, one is a Universal Binary and the other one is PowerPC only. I guess they can exist peacefully. Thought it was interesting.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Being a Universal Binary has nothing to do with it. The two apps have different names. There is probably an extra space in the name of one of the apps.

3. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I am thinking the same thing. I have NeoOffice/J on my iMac at home. I recently downloaded the 1.2 Beta version and ASSUMED it would overwrite the other version. It didnt!! Why? 1.2 Beta is listed as NeoOffice, not NeoOffice/J as the previous version did. THerefore, they existed side by side. I had to manually delete the older version.

4. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Er... no.
    Look at the screen shot. It is nicely spelled out for you there; they are the same. It IS the universal binary thing.

That'd be different names. Different names=co-existance. Same names=issues.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

So you can see leading or trailing spaces in a screenshot?:rolleyes:

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's certainly possible, but why would the authors do that?

7. Lazyhound macrumors regular

I can see the leading ones for sure (though there isn't one in the screen shot).

8. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Nope, the author changed the application names.

Version 2.5 of Temperature Monitor (the one I currently have installed) is actually named Temperature Monitor.app. (Finder hides the .app extension and the fact that Temperature Monitor.app is actually a folder.)

Version 3.2 of Temperature Monitor (that I just downloaded) is actually named TemperatureMonitor.app. I presume that Finder is picking up the name "Temperature Monitor" to display by reading some meta-data out of the application.

Edit: Finder displays the name stored in the Resource fork of the application as the application name in the finder view. This is the location of the meta-data I mentioned above.

9. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Ahhhh.... interesting. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought that since they were different styles of compilation, they were stored differently. I guess I was wrong. :eek: Thanks again for finding the different names.

And no gloating MisterMe, because you didn't know how you were right either!:p ;)

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mrichmon, thank you for the explanation and education! :)