same G3 tower...new ailment...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by eyelikeart, Apr 19, 2002.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm searching the net for some answers to this as well...but I wanted to see if any of u guys could help me out with it first...

G3 333 tower...suddenly having problems reading certain CD-Rs...any solutions? software update? CD-ROM going out? help.... ;)

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    sameproblem

my g3 does that sometimes too. asks me if i want to authorize the disc which it obviously can't do. i think its the drive slowly dying because its so random--and it will eventually read the disc if i pop it out then back in again.

drag:confused:

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Have you run the software update control panel on it lately??? Which OS is on it? If you suspect the cd-rom drive is on it's way down the crapper, then see about getting a replacement. Personally, I would try and get one out of another Mac, so that you don't need to get any third party software for it. I think OWC has some that they sell, but I am not 100% certain on that.

4. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

the only software update that hasn't been performed is 9.2...

everything else is up to date...

I just think it's gone bad....the internal Zip also went bad on it a couple months ago...

damn...this thing is just falling apart!!!! :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Just for S&G's, try installing a new ATA ribbon to the drive. Also, I would suggest checking to make sure the jumpers on the back of the drive are fully seated.

Did you already toss the zip drive, or is it still in da case?? If it is inside still, make sure it is off the ribbon.

6. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

the zip is still there....everything's connected....can't get the damned hd to show though...problems...problems...

I think I'm just gonna go home... :mad:

anyone up for a drink tonite??? :eek:

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'll pop open a Guinness for ya later... when I get home (still at work too).

8. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

damn...if I were remotely nearby...I'd bring over a bottle of vodka... :) :D :p ;) :cool: :eek:

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

LMAO!!! You can down a whole bottle??? Personally, I don't care for that stuff too much... more beer and wine for me... and when I say beer, I am talking about Irish stouts and ales. :D

I do have a bottle of bourbon (Evan Williams) and scotch that I use for cooking though. Love the flavors there, just don't care too much for da burn...