same 'ol question: iBook vs. PowerBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bowser, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Bowser macrumors member

so ive been a windows guy ever since my family bought our first computer (when i was three years old). after years and years of never questioning the superiority of microsoft, I am finally fed up. I am sick and tired of security issues and crashes, something that i have had to put up with this whole time but apparently didnt have too. after doing some light research, i realize, for my needs apple is the way to go for me. In my youth, i used to be a hardcore gamer, so apple never was an option. but now, things have changed. I am looking for a nice, portable laptop that I can simply browse the internet, write papers, do some audio mixing and editing, and basically enjoy. I am looking at either the iBook 12' or the PB 12'. My question is:

"Which notebook should i get, iBook or PB?"

as i have stated, im not doing too much graphically intensive work, simply browsing, writing, and composing. at first, i had my heart on the PB, simply because its better than iBook and many different areas (casing, processor, hd etc.). however, the iBook's pricetag is too much to pass up. For the same price of the 12' PB, i can get an iBook with 768mb RAM (albeit SD), 60GB hd, and an ipod mini (my first gen ipod finally crapped out after 3 solid years). I think its a better bargain, especially since i wouldnt be using the PB to its fullest potential. My only chief concern is that people have been saying iBook is due for an update, + the buyers guide says not to buy. However, other sites say not to buy the first gen update (as it wont have the kinks ironed out). So i am sort of at a loss. I pretty much need computer by the end of July (both my windows based laptop and desktop have completely died on me). Should i just say eff it, and go with the G4 iBook, or should i wait for some update? Your comments and advice will be highly appreciated, seeing as this is a common question posted frequently.

also, I have never used an Apple (save for some statistical work here and there), is there a website that can kinda ease the transition from windows to OS X? or should i just get the mac, and dive right in?

2. yklxcq macrumors member

yklxcq

I think the ibook suits you better according to the price tag, extra functions,and ports between ibook 12 and powerbook 12.
    And for the update, there are may rumors going on, IMO, i think the ibook would be update in september in paris, and it is gone be a BIG update for ibook, for instance, new design probably:).
    For the switch, u can go to apple website and there are many useful info, also look around in this forum.
    chose mac, you will not regret, it worth the money!

3. Bowser thread starter macrumors member

thanks, pretty much reaffirmed my current sentiment. the inherint feeling of loss that accompanies buying something only to see a new version released soon after is something ill just have to "cope with" (as if that is something worty of coping :). i guess i will just have to settle for a uber-stable laptop that will keep me happy for many years to come :p

another thing that worried me, was while i was walking through my local Fry's, i couldnt help but notice how all the new windows based laptops had Xbrite screens. they looked so pretty, with their HD backgrounds and whatnot. it made the apple screen look so washed out, pale, and unimpressive. are these Xbrite displays just set at ultra high brightness that's not necessarily good for the computer? (similar to what they do to TVs on display) or are these screens just that much cooler?

oh yeah, should i buy any additional SO-DIMM from Apple, or get it all from crucial?

4. polyethyleneguy macrumors member

Recently, Apple laptops have fallen behind when it comes to display brightness and resolution (in my opinion). That is pretty much the only compromise you will be making when you switch to Apple. On the bright side, the small washed-out screen of the 12" iBook takes very little battery, thus giving you a good 4 hours or more of life (even with wireless on). No windows laptop that I know of can do that (even though many manufactures claim they will).
    About the RAM for the iBook, buy your own from Crucial. It is an easy upgrade that will save you big bucks (go for the 512 or full 1 gig).
    Finally, about the pending updates, I think they will be sooner than you think. Read some of the other posts. It could even be next Tuesday :D
    You should at least wait till you absolutely need to buy (I think you said end of July), then buy.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers!

5. Bowser thread starter macrumors member

regarding the update, does the price change at all?

so is the RAM installation fairly simply (im guessing so)?

if so, might as well get the 1gb :p

im getting pretty excited, good thing im about to go on a trip, to cool the impulse buying jets.

6. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

After an update they could lower (or raise) the price. They laptops are slowly trending cheaper.

RAM install is just popping a cover on the bottom.

Yeah, I'd personally go with a 1GB update. I think I've seem 1GB modules for not much over $100 (like $110 or so). That seems to be the way to go now.

7. montom macrumors member

If you want a powerbook, go for an an Apple Certified Refurbished model. I was waiting for the new ibooks forever and said screw it and just bought a PowerBook - but fortunately Apple had some on sale. Last month I ordered a 12" 1.33Ghz for $1099 and it arrived working perfectly without a single scratch or dent, looked and functioned like brand new. That's only $100 more than the current 12" ibook and it comes with larger HD, bluetooth, Tiger, russian bride, accessories, etc... ;)

Keep your eye on the Apple Special Deals page -- there's a 12" for $1099 available right now, in fact.

However, an ibook is better for writing, emailing, and web surfing because it has an extra hour of battery charge, doesn't fry your lap, has double the wireless range, and you can handle it securely without worrying about denting it. You can feel more relaxed using it and "throwing it around" whereas the powerbook you gotta carry around on a silk pillow, j/k. Overall I would say the PB requires less maintenance, cleaning, upgrading, and accessorizing than the ibook. [minor point, the PB line in is a LINE in, not a microphone-level in, so you still need a mic pre-amp, and then there's potential for ground loops and noise unless you unplug the powerbook while recording]. The only thing critics have against the PB is price, but for $1100 that point gets thrown out the window.

If you do get an ibook, wait until WWDC for the new ones, or just get the refurbished PB since its speed is whatever the ibooks are about to be bumped up to...and then I would recommend an extra 512MB RAM rather than 1Gig because the latter in an ibook is overkill. I put 1Gig of Kingmax RAM in my PB and it works without a glitch, good price too from newegg.

8. 2Sticky macrumors regular

This article may help.

For your needs I would say go for the iBook, though the PB's do look nice, the iBook is best suited to you, and your needs.

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Did you really have a first gen iPod?? Because the first ones only worked with Apple computers. They have a scroll wheel that actually moved around as you turned. The second gen were the static scroll wheels that came in both Mac and PC formats.

10. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Did you get the russian bride with 64 or 128 meg vram? :confused:

11. Bowser thread starter macrumors member

oh yeah, I have a 1st gen iPod. and it works with my PCs. they did make PC-compatible 1st gens (with the physical wheel and all), but it didnt use iTunes as the bundled program. it actually came with Musicmatch Jukebox, which was horrible. i just used EphPod (a very good freeware PC iPod program). the ipod did die on me once, but Apple replaced it. The thing is pretty beaten up (as i had no case for it, i just stuck it in my back pocket everywhere i went). the wheel has brownish stains, the menu button only works if you press it in the right spot, and the plexiglass front tends to pop out of place sometimes. when you pop it back in it makes a nasty breaking sound. the thing still runs decent, but it did whipe itself of all my music which really pissed me off (just think of busting out your ipod on the university bus and not finding any songs). i am going to keep it as sentimental value, as its one of the few peripherals that earned its money with me :p

someone mentioning that 1GB of additional ram is overkill. what do other people think of this? i was just going to get it so i didnt have to worry about getting additional ram later, but if i dont really need that much, id rather save the cash.

12. montom macrumors member

64meg vram is minimum to get the "jiggle" effect.

[One more thing - the Powerbook keyboard is like butter and the aluminum doesn't stain like the ibook's white plastic does. The general consensus is, if you have the money for a PB then get it. I would have been equally happy with an ibook. You cannot lose either way. Perhaps this question will help you: will you use the notebook more on your lap or on some surface? If on your lap then avoid the powerbook, it is too hot for comfort. If you get a PB with 1Gig of added RAM, you'll be set for the next 3-5 years at the least.]

13. Bowser thread starter macrumors member

well i do use my laptop a lot in my lap. however i dont mind the excessive heat, kinda soothing. i use a 3 year old pentium 4 PC laptop, which produces a lot of heat. how does the PB heat output compare to one of the old pentium 4 laptops.

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

There is a strong possibility that we might see an iBook update between now and MacWorld Boston, July 7-14th.

If so that might give you a few more options in features and pricing.

Although an iBook will cover your basic needs, The quality and additional features of the PowerBooks are hard to resist especially if you can take advantage of the education discount or catch a refurb in Red Tag Sales.

The improved graphics card in the 12" PB also comes in handy for connecting to a larger display for those more involved sessions.

15. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

16. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you get a PowerBook women will have sex in your back yard! :D

17. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

there are 1001 topics on this forum about the exact same thing.. this is redundant and tedious. try using search.

18. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Don't get your panties in an uproar, we were all noobs once.

We do encourage the use of the search functions to help reduce the load on servers and generally you CAN find the answer to most questions easily.

As long as someone comes to these forums with an open mind and good intent most of us will be very glad to help.

19. enoch macrumors member

Why didn't apple just use this as advertising?

20. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

That line was obviously written by a man.

21. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I get the ripple effect on my 1GHz 12" PB with 32megs of VRAM.

22. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

So I guess you're saying that women are not as inclined to drool over a shiny new PowerBook ;)

23. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

And one obviously written by a woman.

24. dcv macrumors G3

One week on and I'm still drooling over mine ;)

25. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I would love to see a candid camera placed in a Starbucks or some other gathering place just to see how differently people would react to someone working away with a new PowerBook vs, someone doing the same thing with a new Wintel laptop.

To make this more interesting, I'd like to see what would happen if you placed an iMac G5 in one corner of a Starbucks and another similar
    Wintel AOI at the other end of the room with both machines open for public use.

To even the slate you could have one man and one women working in each platform so any reactions would not be merely gender based.

My guess is that the Apple products would grab the most attention regardless
    of the users gender.