Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I want to replace my aging iPhone 3GS. My main concerns are reliable syncing of contacts,calender, and email with Microsoft Exchange and Google, a good maps/routing app, and full device encryption. iOS, Android, and WP8 seemingly all satisfy these needs.

The reason I want to upgrade my iPhone 3GS is I want a better camera and better battery life. A newer iPhone would give me a better camera, but it seems to me I would not get a considerably better battery life.

So what are my other options? I am aware there are large Android phones with excellent battery life (e.g. Motorola Razr Maxx), but I don't really want either a larger or a heavier phone than my iPhone 3GS.

Whilst I don't need all the special features (e.g. Siri, etc), speed, or display quality of top end phones, I also don't really want a phone stuck on an outdated OS (e.g. something stuck on Android 2 or Windows Phone 7.5).

I can't seem to find a phone that is the same size as iPhone 3GS, with a significantly better battery life and an up to date OS.

Am I missing one? Is it better I wait and see what the options are within the full first crop of WP 8 phones?

Last edited:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I'd wait for a midrange Windows Phone 8 handset if I were you. Android is not going to give you many options with your size requirements. If anything, you'd end up getting the iPhone 5 out of frustration. Android is really for people who want big screens at the moment.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Razr M and Droid Incredible LTE come to mind first.

Thank you, I took a look at them. One thing that I am not keen about is both these phones only have 8GB internal storage. I would prefer 16GB. I notice the smaller Windows 8 phones announced so far also only have 4 or 8GB internal storage.

So if anyone else has other suggestions, they will be very welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.