Same Spam, Different Contintent

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I just received this tonight. I'm a little p.o. that they're using the Tsunami as a part of the whole scam.... :eek: :mad:

Isn't there a site where you can report these idiots?

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Oct 11, 2004
    St. Louis, MO

I just got a spam email the other day in my hotmail.
    The blue "links" at the bottom are just blue underlined text, and the hotmail thing says that it doesn't think it was sent by who it claimed to be.
    Clicking that link to update my info goes to some weird-named site that won't load.

Another reason I knew it was a scam: I never had any PayPal account to begin with.

Attached Files:

3. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Try, the site of whomever whacked that Russian spammer a short while back. ;)

Sadly, though, there is no real site to report this sort of thing. It seems that the anti-spam filters of programs like Entourage and Outlook are now smart enough to look for words like "Nigeria" (and other commonly-used African nations in this sort of scam), so the spammers are changing the names to get through.

Nothing to do, really, but educate people about stuff like this and pray for a solution that will shut the spammers down for good.
  4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    I've received about 5 ebay and paypal scams within the past two weeks. If I read the first line and it doesn't address me by my name, I automatically give it a home in my spam box.
  5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...I have a Netscape mail account that I use for *very* few has ben totally spam-free until about 2 weeks ago when I started getting the Nigeria scam emails, about one per day. Of course I am not stupid enough enough to fall for any of that crap but I am still amazed that anyone actually is. They are supposedly cracking down on these scammers but the succes rate for the scammers must still be good enough to keep taking the risks....oh yeah!
  6. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Not to mention the fact that the e-mail says that PayPal was founded in 2005. (It was more like 1998 or something.)
  7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    In Canada, the RCMP and Ontario Provincial Police have set up a fraud hotline for 419- or 'advance fee' scam reports. The site is and the 419- reporting email is

In the Netherlands there is a reporting address for lottery scams that originate from Holland
    There is a general phishing reporting hotline

Microsoft, Adobe and Macromedia are appreciative of pirated software spam reports,, Apple's is Quark and Filemaker I have never heard boo from so I have given up on them.
    Face it, Microsoft has a way bigger budget to go after spammers and their ISPs that I do... so more power to them. and are good addresses to send those phishing schemers to.

More addreses

I have also been reasonably successful getting the senders' Yahoo mail accounts terminated. It's a game of whack-a-mole of course, that will never end unless ISPs give up issuing free Webmail accounts with no ID required. -- although you sometimes have to send it 4 or 5 times before the drones on the helpdesk actually read the complaint. Usually they just kick it back with a "didn't come from us" boilerplate reply.
  8. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    He cannot even spell isn't the word judiciously. :D