Samsumg OLED

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by millar876, Dec 9, 2004.

1. millar876 macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2004
    Peterhead, Scotland UK
  2. supergod macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    Wow, sounds pretty cool. I'd really like to see what a designer could do with this technology in the ability to work with nontraditional materals and to make thinner displays. OLED matrixs could run out of a wooden display for example. In addition, a display of OLEDs would be able to function very well in the dark as the OLEDs give off their own light (no more uneven backlighting like on LCDs). I personally am more interested to see what can be done with OLEDs in laptop designs as they are well suited due to their flexibility and low energy consumption.
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Oooh, that's going to be nice! I wonder what sort of lifespan they're getting with that? And no mention of cost, either :(

I'm thinking OLED will eventually replace LCD - its just a matter of time.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Isn't it December? That story is from May, so I am guessing this puppy has already been demoed?
  5. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    That is what caught my eye too. Sounds neat I like the resolution, low power req, and thin frame. Life Span is a mystery considering NEC stepped off this development makes me think it has a limiting future.
  6. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast

I've been reading up on OLED technology for a while now. I have now been convince that OLED screens will never (at least not in the next 10 years) make it to market. The reason is that the lifespan of OLED screens are woefully inadequate.

There was an article about Epson's upcoming OLED screens designed to replace LCD and plasma HDTVs. Their current state-of-the-art screen only has a life span of 4,000 hours. Compare that to LCDs and plasmas that get 60,000 hours. Sure, eventually, they'll get the OLEDs to last longer, but other companies will continue to improve the other technologies. Unless OLED companies want to take a huge profit loss, I don't think that the marginal price advantage of OLEDs will make up for the short life-span.

There are other, more promising screen technologies out there that may have a chance to unseat LCDs. It's too bad, OLEDs showed so much promise a couple of years back.