Samsung 172X monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ben Sheehan, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Ben Sheehan macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2002
    At the risk of sounding like a lunk head, I've just forked out for a rev a. dual 1.8 G5, and am looking to get a non apple display (well, unless Steve pulls a cheap monitor out of the hat at WWDC). I'm keen on the Samsung 172X, but I've been advised by half the vendors I've chased prices from that it's not Mac OS compatible. Does anyone own this display, or could someone perhaps suggest something that gives a similar bang for buck?

Actually if the 172X is not Mac OS compatible, why is this the case?

Thanks in advance :)
  2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    I looked up this monitor and have found that it is 17" and is in the $500 range and for about $600 you could get an Apple 17" monitor. I would think for that price it would be a better idea to go with the apple display...or am I missing something?
  3. Ben Sheehan thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2002
    Probably should have clarified - I'm in Australia, and the Samsung 172X is around $400+ cheaper than the Apple 17" here. The specs are near identical - and I really don't understand why sellers are telling me I can't use my VGA to DVI adapter to connect it to the G5.
  4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Not Mac OS compatible or are these crack heads just trying to make a bigger profit. As long as the PowerMac has a video card w/ DVI connector, you're set. Samsung and Sony are two of the best LCD manufacturers I know of. I have bought 4 LCDs between the two companies and have hooked them up to PCs and Macs (DVI or VGA/DVI adapter), in both single and dual video mode, in mirror and extended on both platforms, Apple Cinema Display + Samsung/Sony on the Mac, no problem. The biggest upside on these two companies versus Apple is the 3 year warranty, parts/labor/shipping/whatever, that comes free w/ the purchase of the monitor. What's Apple Care?
  5. silence macrumors member

Jun 1, 2005
    I'm in Australia too and picked up this exact monitor for $220 (factory second) :p To be honest, I can't even tell its a factory second as there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm a graphic designer by trade, and the viewing quality on this monitor is amazing, & screen is very bright with accurate colours. Also, out of all 3rd party monitors.. i'd say the Samsung is aesthetically one of the best looking monitors, besides from the Apple. Very slim, light and flexible (it can fold all the way back 'til its flat on the floor).

Even though i'm using an old PowerMac G4, the Samsung monitor also hooks up to the standard DVI connection fairly easy. Note: you will have to purchase an ADC to DVI adapter. This is definitely a necessary investment, as the colours and brightness when using an analog connection are disgusting.

I don't know how much these monitors are in the US, but $220 for this monitor is a very very good equation here :)
  6. silence macrumors member

Jun 1, 2005
    By the way, i wouldn't recommend getting a VGA to DVI adapter unless you really need to.. as it isn't a true digital connection.

Not sure on the G5's, but for the G4's the ADC to DVI adapter provides a true digital to digital connection, so you will be using the monitor to its max potential.

On the Samsung i noticed a significant difference between analog and digital resolution.
  7. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I, too, am using that exact monitor, and can assure you it is 100% Mac-compatible. It's also gorgeous and has a great picture. If it makes sense for your budget, I fully recommend it!
  8. mcthc macrumors newbie

May 1, 2007
    Samsung 172x - Powermac G4 (ADC to DVI)

I recently purchased a Samsung 172x for use with my Powermac G4 and got an ADC to DVI adapter as SILENCE suggested. But when I turned it on, the monitor wouldnt recognize the mac; a floating window said NO SIGNAL and ANALOG. I had my old VGA monitor plugged in at the same time and it was working fine.

I went to preferences - display, and the color was set to my old monitor model. There were other profiles but I don't know which one to select.
    Do i need to import a profile for the 172x? it did not come with any mac software. What should I do to get the ADC to work?

any suggestions would be much appreciated!