Samsung 26" HDTV LCD Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Afro1989, May 16, 2006.

1. Afro1989 macrumors 6502a

Dec 16, 2005
    Hey people. I've been using my 19" LG LCD monitor for a couple of years now for my Mac Mini and Xbox 360. I'm starting to think it's time to upgrade. Why not? I have the money. This is why I come to you people to ask if the new Samsung 26" LCD HDTV (Model #LN-S2651D) is worth buying.

I will be using the monitor mostly for my Mac Mini and gaming if that helps. I don't want to spend too much money so that's why I chose the 26". It also seems like the most popular HDTVs out right now are made by Samsung and I've heard many great things about them.

I have a question though. I know that LCDs might fade after time and that would not be good at all since I'd be spending over a grand on this thing. Do LCD televisions such as this have the liquid crystal display with no bulbs that blow in a year or does it have bulbs?

This particular HDTV got some pretty good reviews on but I just wanted to check in with you friendly & honest people because macrumors is where I get the best info/opinions from. :)

I hope someone can help me out on this big decision. I'm only 17 years old and can't afford to waste my hard earned cash. Thanks.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Afro -

First off, this is probably the wrong forum to post this thread - you should probably be in the buying tips and advice forum. Perhaps a mod will move it for you.

As far as LCD TVs go, I am not the most knowledgeable - but I have heard Samsungs are among the best. They also have really nice design aesthetic (imo). If you can get a good price and things look good (if you can see one in action instore somewhere), I would go for it.

As far as gaming goes, I know the larger LCD screens have a slower pixel-response rate, and iirc LCD TV's do in general compared to dedicated monitors. I don't know the specifics (Samsung specs/your gaming habits), so I can't say if that will be an issue for you.

Good luck.
  3. Afro1989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 16, 2005
    Thanks for your response and sorry for putting this thread in the wrong section. I thought the buying advice section was only meant for anything Mac/Apple knowing this website is called MacRumors. :)
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
  5. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    LCDs generally have little to no fade for A WHILE. Bear in mind though, the resolution on that TV will only run the mini at 1360x768 (i know because i got an LN-S2641D Sunday from Sears). I've adopted the large resolution after 3 days, but now that i look back on it, i wish I had gotten either a 1080p Westinghouse from Best Buy or an Apple Display to push at a higher resolution, though no TV capabilities on the Apple display without some sort of DVI splitter and a cable box. Good luck!
  6. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    If I were you I'd seriously consider a 24" monitor like the Dell 2405FPW or something similar like the Samsung 244T. [Note I'm a big fan of Samsung monitors and am typing this on my Dell with a Samsung 930B].

As h0e0h pointed out, many HDTVs will have 1280x800 or similar resolution, while a similarly sized monitor will be able to display 1920x1280. For your stated uses mo' resolution is mo' better. If you were intending to use it to display HDTV programming I might reconsider, but you didn't say anything about any video that doesn't come from your Mac mini.