Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
So I got a new connected tv and it connects to my network fine and plays netflix and all of the flawlessly but for some reason it doesn't recognize my Mac devices. My friend had his pc over and the tv instantly recognized it but it wont see my macs on my network even the shared public folders. Any help?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What protocol are you using to share data in Macs; AFP, FTP or SMB? SMB is the only one that supports Windows AFAIK so you might want to use that instead. You can set it from System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
What protocol are you using to share data in Macs; AFP, FTP or SMB? SMB is the only one that supports Windows AFAIK so you might want to use that instead. You can set it from System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options

I had it on aft but then tried to change as u suggested nut that still doesn't recognize it. Any other ideas?

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
I didn't look very hard, since I don't have one of these, but it looks like they are using DNLA for the connection (same as PS3). Macs don't support DNLA natively - you need an additional media streaming server (software) to do this. I used MediaLink with my PS3 before I gave the console away. Works OK, but I had to stop and restart the service occasionally.

The good news is that many NAS devices do include a built-in DNLA server, which might be worth considering.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
I didn't look very hard, since I don't have one of these, but it looks like they are using DNLA for the connection (same as PS3). Macs don't support DNLA natively - you need an additional media streaming server (software) to do this. I used MediaLink with my PS3 before I gave the console away. Works OK, but I had to stop and restart the service occasionally.

The good news is that many NAS devices do include a built-in DNLA server, which might be worth considering.

So if I picked up an LG Nas drive, do I have to do anything additional like format it in any way?

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
tvmobili dlna server is what I use on my mac to get to content from my samsung 55 and 46.

works flawlessly, I am able to watch mkv's directly from my mac without having to convert to m4v or mp4.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
So if I picked up an LG Nas drive, do I have to do anything additional like format it in any way?

No idea, but they usually come with a "read Me first" sheet that will tell you what to do. Many NAS devices come without disks installed, in which case you would certainly have to format the drives as part of the setup. Remember that a NAS (Network Attached Storage) is not the same as USB or Firewire DAS (Direct Attached Storage). With a NAS, the device is going to have some sort of management software (often a web site that is hosted on the device) where you configure it. You are more likely to need to set up higher level function, like users and shares, than low level tasks like formatting.

I think that DLNA was the answer to your original question. If you think you would rather go to a NAS solution instead of installing a DLNA server on your Mac, you should research that separately - there are many threads that discuss NAS and offer recommendations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.