Samsung and Sharp Introduce New Ultra-High-Resolution Notebook Displays

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 20, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

While Apple's 15" MacBook Pro was the first consumer notebook to gain a Retina-level display nearly a year ago, it is no longer the only such offering, as Google's Chromebook Pixel with its 12.85" 2560x1700 display and Toshiba's Kirabook with a 2560x1440 220 PPI display have joined the market in recent months.

Seeking to raise the ante on Retina displays, Samsung and Sharp have both introduced new high-resolution displays in the past week, targeting notebooks and ultrabooks with the latest technology. The new displays from both companies sport 16:9 ratios, making them unfit for Apple's line of notebooks, which all use 16:10 ratio displays, but they should make Retina displays a mainstream feature in the relatively near future.

Sharp last week announced new 11.6", 14", and 15.6" displays with pixel densities of 235-262 PPI, joining the company's existing 13.3" display at 221 PPI. Samsung's announcement today included a new 13.3" display with a 3200x1800 LCD panel at an even higher 276 PPI.

For comparison, Apple's 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display has a 2560x1600 13.3" display at 227 PPI.

While high resolution is the most obvious benefit of these new displays for consumers, some of the screens bring other benefits as well. Samsung says its new 13.3" display offers 30% power savings over existing displays, something that would be important for a potential MacBook Air with Retina display. That machine is constrained by needs for a super-thin display and battery. And even for Apple's existing Retina MacBook Pro, advances being brought about by Samsung and Sharp are likely to make their way into Apple's notebook displays in the future.

Sharp advertises similar energy-saving benefits from its new IGZO displays:
    Apple has been rumored to be looking at Retina displays for desktop applications as well, but a future Retina iMac would face a different set of issues, including the cost of the panel itself at such large sizes, as well as the immense graphics and connectivity needs to drive such a display.

Article Link: Samsung and Sharp Introduce New Ultra-High-Resolution Notebook Displays
  2. macrumors 68020

Jul 8, 2006
  3. macrumors member

Oct 1, 2012
  4. macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    How can the designers imitate the MBP and still make it look a bit naff?
  5. macrumors member

Feb 2, 2010
    Leeds, UK
    Chrome Pixel website reads "Pixel is machined from an anodized aluminum alloy to a tight tolerance, leaving nothing extraneous or distracting: vents are hidden, screws invisible, and stereo speakers seamlessly tucked away beneath the backlit keyboard." Does make it sound very like a Macbook imitation without a decent OS.
  6. macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2009
    Boston, MA
    How much?? And why does every laptop look like the MBP now?
  7. macrumors regular

Aug 2, 2011
    Does that mean IGZO will finally be mass production ready??
    That might also mean an IGZO iPhone and iPad.
  8. macrumors 6502

Oct 1, 2007
    Is this just not simple technology progression?
  9. macrumors member

Sep 1, 2011
    There has to be a good balance between power consumption and resource use when it comes to something like this. I think that's what other companies will fail to do and will simply shoot for specs, losing out on either battery life or on GPU usage. That being said, I am glad that there is more progress in the development of such displays following Apple's introduction of them into the consumer market. This can only mean that there will be improvements in there types of displays.
  10. macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2012
    Well the windows users have been asking for a high resolution screen for a while now so I think that there is a serious demand. I just wonder if the pricing will confirm that Apple's pricing of the Retina Macbooks is not anywhere as outrageous as some people like to make it sound, like the *cough* Chromebook Pixel and Toshiba's Kirabook already have done.
  11. macrumors member

Feb 2, 2010
    Leeds, UK
    Progression would be bringing something new to the table. This is just catching up.
  12. macrumors G3

Aug 3, 2011
    It's Never A Good Night To Have A Curse
    LG and Samsung made the high DPI Retina screens for Apple at their request. How can you accuse them of copying their own technology?
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Couldn't the 11.6 screen work for the 11" Macbook Air, which uses a 16:9 aspect ratio?

"11.6-inch (diagonal) high-resolution LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors

Supported resolutions:
    1366 x 768 (native) at 16:9 ratio"
  14. macrumors 65816

Jun 20, 2009
    Lincoln, UK
    They now just need Windows to support those high resolutions.

I'm looking forward to seeing these pixel densities on desktop sized screens. 4K TVs are dropping in price very quickly (Sony 55" for for $5K), so something reasonable at 27" should be near.
  15. macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2012
    it's about time we all move to high res 200+ ppi screen.
    hopefully over time it will get cheaper this panel.
  16. macrumors 68020

Jan 5, 2012

Windows 8 does?
  17. macrumors 68020

May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    They haven't announced any laptop, they just demoed displays that could eventually be used for laptops.

Samsung demoed a 2,560x1,440 Series 9 prototype last year as well and it never became and actual product. Same thing with Sharp.

Just the Metro part. Desktop scaling is still broken. Most apps will either have their layout broken, get inconsistent scaling, or have no scaling at all. Even preinstalled Microsoft apps have issues, and third-party support is almost inexistent, including major browsers.
  18. macrumors 603

Jan 8, 2009
    All these iOS/iDevice lawsuits, I'd give more credence to lawsuits around the unibody aluminum MacBook Pro's. Seems a lot of tech companies are emulating such design.
  19. macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2010
    Ahh, I remember the Chromebook Pixel. A shameless Macbook ripoff with a diluted web OS!
  20. macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2004
    Penn's Woods
    These are not imitations, this IS where the portable market is going.
  21. macrumors newbie

Nov 22, 2012
    The MBA 11.6" has a 16:9 ratio, so those new displays would be suitable for them. I guess when the author said that Apple's line of notebooks uses 16:10 ratios, they were referring to the retina lineup?
  22. macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2012
    Apple's new motto for the company:

"Think Different, first"

"Become LAST at their own game."
  23. macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2003
    so cal
    Impossible. "Retina" is an Apple Trademark. By definition, Retina displays can't become mainstream, since only one company produces them.

Perhaps MacRumors means "2560x1440" or "2560x1700" or "next generation high res" or something else, but not "Retina"
  24. macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2010
    There sure are a lot of hurt feelings in these comments.
  25. macrumors 68020

May 9, 2008
    I see lots of vents and screws on my MacBook Pro.