Samsung Announces 160GB 1.8

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 20, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung has announced a 160GB 1.8" Hard Drive that would be suitable for use in devices such as Apple's iPod.
    Apple's iPod is overdue for an update, with the last update almost a year ago. The high end iPod currently tops out at 80GB. Both Toshiba and Samsung have made steady advances in these micro hard drives over the past year, but Apple has not yet taken advantage of these higher capacities.

Apple is widely expected to release new iPods in the coming months. The most recent circulating rumors point to fullsize touchscreen (iPhone-like) iPod to replace the high end iPod.

Article Link

2. macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I would love to see them use a 160gb hard drive on the iPod. I could finally fit my entire music collection and a good amount of photos and videos.

3. macrumors 65816

yoda13

I agree, the more the merrier...I might finally be able to take as many of my movies along with me as I want...:)

4. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Apple really needs to update, there was a time when the iPod music player was a leader in storage space with a whopping 5 gigs of space. That left all other mp3 players in the dust (especially with battery life!), and it's about time Apple reclaimed the throne.

5. macrumors 68000

BWhaler

After buying an iPhone, I wasn't sure why I would buy an iPod again.

But with a 160 gigs, and if Apple can push battery life for video over 10 hours with a bigger screen (wishing now...) I will be the first in line...

6. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

Now THAT is something I would be interested in. I could put entire seasons of all my TV shows on it.

7. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what are the consumption ratings for this thing? they should be exactly the same as the smaller drives shouldn't they? this is an awsome advance in technology!! soon we can have those puppies in lappy HDD's :)

8. macrumors regular

160GB sounds nice and all, but what would be the price tag on it?:eek:

9. macrumors G3

bigandy

nice. but i bet it won't be included in the iPod until the next generation (7G), just like there isn't a 120Gb at the mo, which we'll probably see at the next (6G) update methinks.

10. macrumors regular

-kritter-

hmmm this is a good thing, but i personally hope that the 6G iPod uses flash, im extremely picky with my music and 16GB of flash would be totally adequate for me, i would rather have more battery life than a huge HDD that i would probably never fill up...and i would also like a slimmer more durable ipod, and a harddrive just wouldnt allow apple to fulfill those things...

11. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

then get the next nano... It will most likely have 16GB of space. For the rest of us we want an external hard drive for movie collections and back ups.

12. macrumors 603

Multimedia

Put 'em In AVC-Intra HD Camcorders ASAP Please

Next Gen AVC-Intra 3CCD HD Video Camcorders need this ASAP.

13. macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Is anyone else getting impatient with this iPod waiting lark? I'm ready to order the top of the line one, be it 80GB or 160GB, as soon as it comes out but I'm just hoping that's early next month at the latest.

I really hope they come out with a new form factor, though. If it's a 6G iPod with a bigger hard drive and an OS X-type OS, I doubt I'll go for it, and even your man-on-the-street prospective iPod purchaser is going to either consciously or otherwise dismiss them. People want the next big thing, and a proper iPod video with some cool bits and pieces on it is going to be popular. Having said that, even though the video capability of the current iPods is t3h suckag3, loads of people I know are perfectly happy with it and use it all the time. Although, Apple has a knack for figuring out what people want before they realise it themselves... but if they want those Christmas sales they'd better hurry up! :p

14. macrumors regular

-kritter-

omg no way, the next gen nano will have 16GB of nand flash... all i want is the feel of a full sized ipod without the feeling if i once drop this, the harddrive could be toast. im also remembering some rumors awhile back of apple going all flash in the near future.... please dont rain on my parade

15. macrumors member

Let's do some math, shall we?

160GB HDD + Full Touch Screen = THE BEST IPOD EVER.

I've got money in hand. Just announce the damn thing Apple!

16. macrumors regular

I think that having 160GB of storage in the next gen iPod would draw a clear line between it and the iPhone. It would enable apple to release an iPhone minus the Phone, without them looking too similar.

8GB vs 160GB = two very different products. One is a media player, the other is a communication device.

They'd need to also give the iPod some video features that the iPhone doesn't have. Higher resolution or something... to help draw the line between the two.

However, remember those leaked videos of the interface of the next gen iPod? It's not fullscreen/touchscreen! So i'm depressed. They're gonna make a minor update to the current iPod, and put a larger hard drive in. :(

17. macrumors 6502a

the next iPod will be 120GB and then they will make a minor update to that in january and clock it up to 160GB which is what we are seeing now. i am so sick of the current iPod's...THEY SUCK!! hurry up apple!!!

18. macrumors 68020

Here they are :)

Here is the new line up :)

Attached Files:

19. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

^^ sorry but i cant see that happening.... too, square

20. macrumors regular

Something just hit me.

I think the 6G HAS to be a widescreen/touchscreen and large capacity. Why?

Remember how people were somewhat let down with the 5.5G iPod, being that it only got a slight bump? My guess is that Apple has had the iPhone iPod all along, but couldn't release it because the iPhone wasn't out yet. If they released it last year, then everyone would be clamoring about the touch interface and widescreen in the iPod rather than in the iPhone. Once the iPhone was released people were thinking "Damn, what if they released an iPod like that!" Sure, the iPod would've sold amazingly if they released it a year ago, but I think it would've made the iPhone look a little less attractive. In releasing it the way they did, they built massive hype for the iPhone and will appease everyone who wants the large capacity, phone/internet-less iPod.

21. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

I think I agree with this, but it does beg the question: what about Europe/Asia? Will they get their fancy new iPod before the iPhone hits their markets?

I fear people are right that the 160s won't hit until a minor bump down the line... It would certainly be a bummer though. My 60GB is chock full, and I'm sure I could fill 120GB without much thought.

22. macrumors 6502

@ knelto: please let it hit you again. The iPhone is not even out yet in other countries and you expect Apple to undercut the market already?

In any case, I think 160 GB would only be nice for a small sub-set of the market: those that have insanely large collections, probably illegally acquired, and those that are really looking for a jukebox to keep at home / take with them.

For the movie-argument, I'd also like to stress that there is no movies on non-US iTunes yet. That said, if they introduced super-HD movies + a large-capacity iPod, that would probably do really well.

23. macrumors member

But remember that quote on the iPhone commercial...."Our best iPod yet" or something along that line. My bet is that they are trying to rack up as many iPhone sales as they can before the release of the widescreen iPod. And considering uk/europe doesnt have the iPhone yet i can see it being put back.

Some would say that they are completely different devices, but if you give the iPod a gorgeous widescreen and touch display with coverflow then you basically have the entire looks and functionality of an iPhone. The only real thing that the iPhone would have over it is telephone and email, and the other added extra's from a typical consumer point of view aren't that essential, especially when you look at the price of the phone and the plans. And to further flog the dead horse you would have 112Gb's less of storage compared to the new iPod. So i think that Apple are going to want to get as many people on the fixed telecommunication plans (which is half the profit) before they release a reasonably similar alternative.

Though if you look at if from the other angle, the full size iPod line is getting rather stale and Apple arent making as many sales as they could (decreased iPod sales expectations for last quarter). But then again, is there any need introduce that new and revolutionary widescreen iPod if Apple are still by far the leader in regards to portable music? Nothing is going to knock them off in the near future, so is there much point in releasing the iPod now? It would affect iPhone sales, a new line of products that its trying to promote and get out into the public as much as they can.

Well thats my prediction. I hope to death that i am wrong though. I've been iPodless for around 6 months now and would really love the widescreen, though i'll still probably end up getting whatever they release next, i need music! For my student sized bank account, the iPhone will be a little too expensive when it comes out here in Australia. The price of the phone itself is fine, though the price of the plans are a killer. Might get it as a graduation present for myself....

24. macrumors 68000

Loge

Stop talking like Steve Ballmer. There are plenty of reasons why someone might have a large collection legally acquired. CDs have beeen around 25 years; some people like lossless encoding etc etc.

25. macrumors 6502