Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
You have an odd sense of how to use a watch then. I've NEVER picked up ANY watch even with the Analog face on the display and not noticed the time. That's the whole point of my tilting my wrist. Again, pick up and tilt my watch, ready to check messages and BAM! The time is displayed for me to either read or I suppose ignore. YMMV. However, if you ignore it, it's not a design issue of the device or app screen. I call user error.

Also, you noted above that it would be odd to have your watch screen ON all the time. So that would mean you have to either tilt your wrist and activate it to be ON thus seeing the time, or manually touch it to turn it ON again, thus seeing the time, or be a completely aloof person who purposely doesn't notice the TIME on their own WATCH! WOW!

That's a use issue not a device issue. I might even go so far as to say a design issue of your on/lock screen. On my Note 3, I have my display set up to show a lot of information, but the TIME is the largest font and easily noticed at a glance thus whenever I pick up my phone, I know the time.

The time on an iPhone lock screen is huge. that's not the issue. When I go to use the watch or my phone for something other than to check the time, I don't pause to notice the time, sorry. I immediately go to the app I need. Maybe because your watch doesn't always show the time, it has trained you to always look at the time first. ;)

For example, I just saw the neighborhood albino squirrel in my yard so I grabbed my iPhone to take a picture. Do I know what the time is right now from the iPhone? Nope.

zyanly.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
The time on an iPhone lock screen is huge. that's not the issue.

Then we agree, the device isn't the issue.

When I go to use the watch or my phone for something other than to check the time, I don't pause to notice the time, sorry.

Exactly, YOU don't pause to notice the time. No smart watch nor design of an app is going to fix YOU. Feel free to pass the buck though. Whatever you need to make it work for you.

Maybe because your watch doesn't always show the time, it has trained you to always look at the time first. ;)

I've trainined myself to watch what is in front of me and when I pick up a smart WATCH I notice the time that it SHOWS me immeidately. I don't need to remind myself to focus on the time first given it pops up the moment my smart WATCH is lifted and activated. I think Apple needs a watch app that reminds you to read the TIME when it displays it for you. I'm sure they'll do it right and have it remind you to check the time on your phone too.

I hope you look at the first step before you go down the first flight of stairs. Often times that first one is a doosie!

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
But, nothing could be more disingenuous than you initially posting this diagram and stating it is an accurate comparison to any round smartwatch compared to the Watch:
counternotions_2015-aug-14-png.578360
Actually that is the only diagram that matters. All things being equal, a circular watch is only has 63.66% of usable area for information and UI display than a rectangular watch.

Regardless of ppi, regardless of physical size, regardless of pixel count.

And you have YET to come up with a single use case apart from time and a circular progress meter that would benefit from a round UI!

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Actually that is the only diagram that matters. All things being equal, a circular watch is only has 63.66% of usable area for information and UI display than a rectangular watch.

Regardless of ppi, regardless of physical size, regardless of pixel count.

And you have YET to come up with a single use case apart from time and a circular progress meter that would benefit from a round UI!

Your lack of vision is not my problem.

ALL THINGS ARE NOT EQUAL. Don't know how to say that any more plainly. The Watch display has a specific set of dimensions which easily fit inside a circle the same diameter as the Watch is high. So no. Your graphic, and your attempts to distort the issue via pixel count is a blatant attempt at deception.

20902379520_12d0b4ca96_o.jpg

Reactions: blahblah100

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009

ALL THINGS ARE NOT EQUAL. Don't know how to say that any more plainly. The Watch display has a specific set of dimensions which easily fit inside a circle the same diameter as the Watch is high. So no. Your graphic, and your attempts to distort the issue via pixel count is a blatant attempt at deception.

You are bringing logic and facts to an emotional argument, and fanboys don't care about logic or facts.

Last edited:

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Then we agree, the device isn't the issue.

Exactly, YOU don't pause to notice the time. No smart watch nor design of an app is going to fix YOU. Feel free to pass the buck though. Whatever you need to make it work for you.

I've trainined myself to watch what is in front of me and when I pick up a smart WATCH I notice the time that it SHOWS me immeidately. I don't need to remind myself to focus on the time first given it pops up the moment my smart WATCH is lifted and activated. I think Apple needs a watch app that reminds you to read the TIME when it displays it for you. I'm sure they'll do it right and have it remind you to check the time on your phone too.

I hope you look at the first step before you go down the first flight of stairs. Often times that first one is a doosie!

A well-designed device doesn't have to force me to do anything different than I normally would. It anticipates what I need. A watch that always shows you what time it is. Crazy idea!!

Reactions: bobob

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA

LOL, If you are ok with all that unused screen real estate, there's nothing that can be said to change your mind.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia

Christ on a pogo stick. Do you want to at least try and not trot out such blatant BS? Here is your imaginary bezel-less 42mm round watch overlaid on a 42mm Apple Watch, same ppi. Notice something? The content is sticking out beyond the edges of the round watch.

42mm.png

Reactions: laurim

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Christ on a pogo stick. Do you want to at least try and not trot out such blatant BS? Here is your imaginary bezel-less 42mm round watch overlaid on a 42mm Apple Watch, same ppi. Notice something? The content is sticking out beyond the edges of the round watch.
View attachment 578703

If Christ was on a pogo stick, could he hop across water, too? Oops, off-topic. But I do think it will take a biblical miracle to settle this.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
So with failing basic geometry and math, can you at least come up with ONE more use case where a circular screen would be more appropriate than a square one?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
A well-designed device doesn't have to force me to do anything different than I normally would.

I already agreed with you. No smart watch is going to fix the fact that you don't look at the time when you pick it up.

It anticipates what I need. A watch that always shows you what time it is. Crazy idea!!

If it works for you to see the time all the time, then so be it. I personally don't need to see the time while reading a text message.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I already agreed with you. No smart watch is going to fix the fact that you don't look at the time when you pick it up.

If it works for you to see the time all the time, then so be it. I personally don't need to see the time while reading a text message.

Yes, it works very well for me. I like not having to force superfluous information into my brain just in case I need it later because I am using a device that can't do the most basic function ;)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
So with failing basic geometry and math, can you at least come up with ONE more use case where a circular screen would be more appropriate than a square one?

Viewing a photo of a circular watch would be a much better experience on a circular watch.

Reactions: ErikGrim

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Glad you already know the content of every text message you will ever receive. Must be reassuring.

No, I just happen to read the TIME when I turn my wrist to look at my WATCH regardless of what makes me pick it up notification wise. It's clear you don't so you need that app I mentioned earlier or instead prefer to have it display the current time regardless of what you're doing on it. But hey, perhaps having a small telephone dialing screen at the top of my email message on my phone might come in handy for when a customer asks me if I can call him back.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
No, I just happen to read the TIME when I turn my wrist to look at my WATCH regardless of what makes me pick it up notification wise. It's clear you don't so you need that app I mentioned earlier or instead prefer to have it display the current time regardless of what you're doing on it. But hey, perhaps having a small telephone dialing screen at the top of my email message on my phone might come in handy for when a customer asks me if I can call him back.

Just think what you could accomplish with those brain cells if you didn't have to store the time in them all the time and let the watch do it for you... guess it's a good thing you probably don't spend more than a minute doing something on your watch or that stored time from when you first looked would be pretty worthless, lol.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Yes, it works very well for me. I like not having to force superfluous information into my brain just in case I need it later because I am using a device that can't do the most basic function ;)

You against superfluous infromation? Sorta like listing the fact that your FEMALE in your signature? LOL! Do we really need to know that for any reason? is your screen name not clear enough for some?

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
You against superfluous infromation? Sorta like listing the fact that your FEMALE in your signature? LOL! Do we really need to know that for any reason? is your screen name not clear enough for some?

Based on the number of times I've been referred to as "bro", "he" etc. in this forum, no it's not. Which is precisely why I put "female" in my signature in an attempt to help the men here who assume everyone in this forum is male. There is such a thing as sexual bias in technology, haven't you heard? When I was an engineer, my trade magazine was addressed to MR. Lauri Mueller. To be fair, if I lived in Sweden that could be a valid mistake. In America, it's just sexist assumptions.

kdarling

macrumors P6
And chews up the battery in the process.

My LGWR goes for up to two days with the display always on.

I fail to understand the need to have the face lit when I'm not looking at it.

Not talking about when I'm not looking at it. Talking about not having to do any special motion to turn it on when I _am_ looking right at.

Very handy when my hands are filled with bags, or my arm is filled with a sleeping child, or if I'm sneaking a look with my hands folded in front of me at a meeting table, and many other similar situations. Or even if I've taken it off and laid it on a counter.

But then, my watch isn't a vanity item for me.

Nor me, but it needs to act like a watch in order to replace the ones I've worn all my life, 24/7. And that includes not having to do anything to see the watchface. Your needs may, and apparently do, vary.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
My LGWR goes for up to two days with the display always on.

Not talking about when I'm not looking at it. Talking about not having to do any special motion to turn it on when I _am_ looking right at.

Very handy when my hands are filled with bags, or my arm is filled with a sleeping child, or if I'm sneaking a look with my hands folded in front of me at a meeting table, and many other similar situations. Or even if I've taken it off and laid it on a counter.

Nor me, but it needs to act like a watch in order to replace the ones I've worn all my life, 24/7. And that includes not having to do anything to see the watchface. Your needs may, and apparently do, vary.

meh. Every time I need to know the time, the natural motion I make to look at the watch turns it on for me. Hasn't been an issue.

I looked up your watch. Seems that the "always on" isn't always on full brightness, though. That's why it doesn't drain the battery like a true always on would. And what's that bezel for?

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Based on the number of times I've been referred to as "bro", "he" etc. in this forum, no it's not. Which is precisely why I put "female" in my signature in an attempt to help the men here who assume everyone in this forum is male. There is such a thing as sexual bias in technology, haven't you heard? When I was an engineer, my trade magazine was addressed to MR. Lauri Mueller. To be fair, if I lived in Sweden that could be a valid mistake. In America, it's just sexist assumptions.

Look dude, you're way too sensitive of an individual to be messing around on the internet. Man-up already.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
It shows the Huawei is the exact same height as the Watch. Where do you get bigger? If you're talking about the width, then that's irrelevant since 42mm round watches are pretty standard issue, and any round watch is going to be wider than almost any rectangular one.

That's what I've been trying to say. A comparable circle is bigger.

The mounting brackets are irrelevant as well since any traditional round watch would have those. Moreover, any of the classic leather bands will also have the mounting lugs, adding several millimeters to the height of the watch, so that completely negates your objection.

I don't care what a traditional watch has. It adds to the overall size. Apple Watch's mounting system is inside the watch case. Not all bands extend the mount and those that do (leather) is pretty seamless. Look how close the leather is to the casing.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

42mm-png.578703

Well if it isn't captain obvious to the rescue! I'll see your new graphic and raise you my original graphic which clearly shows the exact same thing yours does. Hope you didn't spend too much time working on that.

Imagine that, a circle that's wider than a rectangle of the same height when laid over it?

I'll bet you didn't know that the watch industry measures their watches by width, as the height tends to have band connectors and the like. But not Apple -- they buck the trend and measure the height, and in doing so, the case only, leaving out the band lugs on some models in the process, which would increase the watch dimensions.

So anybody buying a round 42mm watch (which is a fairly common standard size) is going to expect the width to be equal to the height, not including connectors.

So once again, in a direct comparison of the 42mm Huawei and the 42mm Watch, the Huawei has more area to display information than the Watch. And in case you missed it the first time -- here's the graphic again to prove it, next to yours if you like:

42mm-png.578703

Last edited:

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Well if it isn't captain obvious to the rescue! I'll see your new graphic and raise you my original graphic which clearly shows the exact same thing yours does. Hope you didn't spend too much time working on that.

Imagine that a circle that's wider than a rectangle of the same height when laid over it?

I'll bet you didn't know that the watch industry measures their watches by width, as the height tends to have band connectors and the like. But not Apple -- they buck the trend and measure the height, and in doing so, the case only, leaving out the band lugs on some models in the process, which would increase the watch dimensions.

So anybody buying a round 42mm watch is going to expect the width to be equal to the height, not including connectors.

So once again, in a direct comparison of the 42mm Huawei and the 42mm Watch, the Huawei has more area to display information than the Watch. And in case you missed it the first time -- here's the graphic again to prove it:

If I see these pictures one more time I may have to do something violent.

Reactions: rjohnstone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.