Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung today asked the U.S. Federal Circuit Court of Appeals to reconsider a central part of a recent ruling that ensured Apple would receive $548 million in damages, according to the San Jose Mercury News. The Korean company wants the court to hear the case with its full 12-judge roster rather than the 3-judge panel it used in the previous ruling.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg

"Unlike rugs, spoons, and simple mechanical objects, smartphones incorporate hundreds or thousands of different patented technologies, and it is undisputed here that Apple's design patents claim only partial, minor features of such devices," Samsung's lawyers argued in court papers.
In 2012, a jury ruled that Samsung willfully infringed Apple patents and awarded the Cupertino company $1 billion in damages. However, the award was slightly reduced to around $900 million a short time later after it was determined the original jury erred in its decision. Earlier this year, a U.S. appeals court reversed a significant part of the judgment, bringing the award down to $548 million. Samsung's latest move would target a part of the verdict that accounts for $400 million of the $548 million in damages Samsung owes.

The move is the latest in the ongoing legal battles between Samsung and Apple. In June 2014, it was reported that the two companies were attempting to find "common ground" in their legal battles and that they were both attempting to become "more practical" about finding a solution.

Article Link: Samsung Asks Court to Reconsider Appeal in Infringement Ruling

keithtae

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
Good, reminds Apple that their are not the only player in this game. Apple, who do you think you are?

ben118

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2015
"Except for people who can be talked down to using simple metaphors and can't see what we've been doing for years, and it is undisputed here that stealing is stealing and we should be held accountable," Samsung's lawyers should have argued in court papers.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Samsung should do what Apple is doing to other companies. When the iPhone. 6s is ready to build, they should just ban Apple and not produce screens, processors and components for them.

Reactions: flyinmac

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Samsung profits have been eroding the last full year, there is no way they would pass on Apple's business.

That's true, I guess I was just trying to make a point for what apple did. But imagine if they were as rich as apple is.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
I was in Costco yesterday, thinking about buying a new tv. Looking at a giant Samsung. I thought, "Nope. Not going to reward their BS and lack of integrity." Got a Sharp. I think they stole from them too.

I'm 80% the same way. The Costco I go to was filled to the brim with Samsung TVs right around christmas. There was one or two LGs tucked underneath all the Samsungs on display (really, only Samsungs were on display), but that was about it. I ended up not getting anything and bought a JVC online...

Last edited:

jdsingle

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
Samsung should do what Apple is doing to other companies. When the iPhone. 6s is ready to build, they should just ban Apple and not produce screens, processors and components for them.

Shaking my head. You do realize that in doing so Samsung would lose significant amounts of money and would gain what?

Reactions: aloshka and Gasu E.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I was in Costco yesterday, thinking about buying a new tv. Looking at a giant Samsung. I thought, "Nope. Not going to reward their BS and lack of integrity." Got a Sharp. I think they stole from them too.
Biggest load of bollocks I’ve ever heard. If that’s how you feel don’t buy iPhones or Macbooks. Pretty sure a lot of them have/had Samsung screens. In fact take back the ones you’ve already purchased just to be safe.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I'm the same way. The Costco I go to was filled to the brim with Samsung TVs right around christmas. There was one or two LGs tucked underneath all the Samsungs on display (really, only Samsungs were on display), but that was about it. I ended up not getting anything and bought a JVC online...
…and then after that you decided not to buy any more Apple products with Samsung components inside. I can get you a list if you want to make sure you’re maintaining the courage of your convictions?

Incredible hypocrisy, (assuming you knew - and if you didn’t you know now).

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
…and then after that you decided not to buy any more Apple products with Samsung components inside. I can get you a list if you want to make sure you’re maintaining the courage of your convictions?

Incredible hypocrisy, (assuming you knew - and if you didn’t you know now).

Well aren't you an angry one. There are positives and negatives to buying every product. I do happen to consider the fact that Apple uses Samsung components to be a negative, but most players in the industry do, so there's no getting around that fact. I don't consider that one negative aspect to be strong enough to warrant not buying Apple products, as they have far more positives in my view. I will not buy a product that is 100% Samsung, but given enough positives, I will buy one that uses their components. There is no hypocrisy here, you just didn't understand my viewpoint. I await your angry response! :)

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

There is obvious reason why you are not CEO of Samsung, Apple or any big company for that matter, but just a regular guy posting on a regular forum. Samsung should consider itself lucky to do business with a company as big as Apple! Think about revenue! You are obviously the kind of person who would take business decisions to personal. Who would be crazy enough to miss that opportunity to provide components for the most popular phone on the planet? Well, except you of course.

Not to mention that if they did what you are suggesting above, Samsung would be facing a huge huge penalty for breaching the terms of contract.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
There is obvious reason why you are not CEO of Samsung, Apple or any big company for that matter, but just a regular guy posting on a regular forum. Samsung should consider itself lucky to do business with a company as big as Apple! Think about revenue! You are obviously the kind of person who would take business decisions to personal. Who would be crazy enough to miss that opportunity to provide components for the most popular phone on the planet? Well, except you of course.

Not to mention that if they did what you are suggesting above, Samsung would be facing a huge huge penalty for breaching the terms of contract.
Exactly. With the setup Samsung has, they win whether or not their phones do well, since they provide components for all of their competitors too. They're in a good spot financially.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Well aren't you an angry one. There are positives and negatives to buying every product. I do happen to consider the fact that Apple uses Samsung components to be a negative, but most players in the industry do, so there's no getting around that fact. I don't consider that one negative aspect to be strong enough to warrant not buying Apple products, as they have far more positives in my view. I will not buy a product that is 100% Samsung, but given enough positives, I will buy one that uses their components. There is no hypocrisy here, you just didn't understand my viewpoint. I await your angry response! :)
If you say so. If it really bothers you that much you’d not knowingly partake. I’m pretty sure if you wanted to you could find a product that suited your obvious ideals. You can’t be bothered.
Why?
Because it’s firstly a lot of hassle and secondly because your love for Apple means you’ll ignore it when it suits you.
BTW, Samsung products are not 100% Samsung.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
If you say so. If it really bothers you that much you’d not knowingly partake. I’m pretty sure if you wanted to you could find a product that suited your obvious ideals. You can’t be bothered.
Why?
Because it’s firstly a lot of hassle and secondly because your love for Apple means you’ll ignore it when it suits you.
BTW, Samsung products are not 100% Samsung.

Thanks for the angry reply! Like I said, it doesn't bother me "that" much, since I do knowingly partake. I'm not sure why you even felt the need to point that obvious fact out! You may think there's some magic product out there that "suits my ideals", but as I've said (and you, in your anger, conveniently ignored), pretty much all the major players use Samsung components, so there's no way around it. Again, I'm not ignoring the fact that Apple uses Samsung components, I'm just weighing the pros and cons, and deciding that the fact they're using Samsung components isn't enough to warrant not purchasing their products... God, I feel like I'm just repeating myself. Try to understand me this time, okay?

I know Samsung products are not 100% Samsung, I just meant that directly supporting them is something I won't do. Indirectly supporting them is a necessary evil, so I put up with it.

Reactions: Yuniverse and mazz0

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
okay, maybe I'm not 100% the same as that guy. You got me. :)
I found out a long time ago that we are all hypocrites, (to a degree), and that big business values only money. A small business knows you might come back and some of the things they do are geared toward that. Some of the things they do are because they are at a much more personal level.
Tim Cook et al will probably never meet you and what they do is geared to pleasing the masses. There isn’t really a way around it.
The company I work for, (not forever I hope), are a multi billion dollar concern and are terrible. It’s all about what look right or allows them to have the right paper trail, (the things you find out by accident make you shake your head), behind the scenes Apple are the same - partly it’s because the general public are often very dishonest and they need to protect themselves.

The court system needs sorting out or Samsung and Apple will forever find themselves repeating this.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Biggest load of bollocks I’ve ever heard. If that’s how you feel don’t buy iPhones or Macbooks. Pretty sure a lot of them have/had Samsung screens. In fact take back the ones you’ve already purchased just to be safe.
Thank you for typing a reply that more concisely represents exactly what I was thinking. SMH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.