Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cortz

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2015
Biggest load of bollocks I’ve ever heard. If that’s how you feel don’t buy iPhones or Macbooks. Pretty sure a lot of them have/had Samsung screens. In fact take back the ones you’ve already purchased just to be safe.
None of the their displays are from Samsung. LG is the one that provides the panels for Apple.

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
"it is undisputed here that Apple's design patents claim only partial, minor features of such devices," Samsung's lawyers argued in court papers.

Ah yes those minor features.... that changed the whole mobile phone business, toppling the existing players in the trillion dollar market place, bringing desktop functionality to the hand of mobile users. Just minor then....

Reactions: mazz0

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
The Samsung electronic producing department couldnt care less what the mobile phone department has problems with apple

You guys have to realize that isnt just one company. Its just a bunch of companies under one name. Samsung.

If the department producing electronics just kicks Apple out they will have a very bad quarter. The Samsung mobile department isnt going to lift that kind of money just to make a point.

What is better for Samsung? That small mobile phone department in problems with Apple but the big money business is working great?

As the CEO of Samsung, it is really easy.

Last edited:

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I’m sure there are plenty of choices with very little Samsung input.

There may well be lots of products that don't use Samsung components, they're just all crap compared to Apple products.

By the way, of the two people involved in your little argument, you're the only one who comes accross as aggressive and unpleasant.

And what's your argument? That a stance is only worth taking if you take it to the extreme? So what, you should only give to charity if you give everything you have? You shouldn't avoid any particularly unhealthy food unless you're going to live by the best possible diet?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
My question is this - after all these years in court, how much has Samsung spent in defense lawyers and associated court costs? It has to be in the millions, and given the years, I am guessing it is not single digit millions. So, at what point do they stop fighting? When the penalty is less than the lawyer fees? They are getting close by now, right? :D

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I was in Costco yesterday, thinking about buying a new tv. Looking at a giant Samsung. I thought, "Nope. Not going to reward their BS and lack of integrity." Got a Sharp. I think they stole from them too.

I bought a Samsung washing machine through gritted teeth.

The irony is of course is you probably walked out of there with an inferior product, Samsung TV's are very highly regarded. I'd rather have the best product than hinder my life because of a petty brand bias.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Samsung should do what Apple is doing to other companies. When the iPhone. 6s is ready to build, they should just ban Apple and not produce screens, processors and components for them.

That would be great for Apple. They would own Samsung 100% after they won the massive lawsuit they would file and win for breach of contract. Could you imagine if Apple was awarded triple damages based on likely Apple 6s sales? That would probably exceed Samsung's market capitalization.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
That's true, I guess I was just trying to make a point for what apple did. But imagine if they were as rich as apple is.

What was your point then? Intellectual property suits are as common as dirt among modern multinational businesses. Apple has actually filed relatively few of them. Apple seems to reserve these only for their biggest and most formidable competitors.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
That would be great for Apple. They would own Samsung 100% after they won the massive lawsuit they would file and win for breach of contract. Could you imagine if Apple was awarded triple damages based on likely Apple 6s sales? That would probably exceed Samsung's market capitalization.

Would need a lot more than triple damages...Samsung's market cap is $199B

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

The irony is of course is you probably walked out of there with an inferior product, Samsung TV's are very highly regarded. I'd rather have the best product than hinder my life because of a petty brand bias.

On the flip side, buying good Samsung products that aren't ripoffs of Apple products might send the message that you value their original good products, and that they should focus on those rather than on copying Apple.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
I was in Costco yesterday, thinking about buying a new tv. Looking at a giant Samsung. I thought, "Nope. Not going to reward their BS and lack of integrity." Got a Sharp. I think they stole from them too.

it's surprising how many Samsung users are totally unaware of their practices, simply because there's no pop culture story revolving around an anti-apple narrative that includes the documented morally bankrupt business ethics they adhere to. i've forwarded the now-famous vanity fair article to quite a few people since it was printed. i've actually changed a few minds, and it actually kinda feels good. i'm also not usually one to feel patriotic over consumer goods, but i do in regards to the south korean hucksters. i'd love for them to fall from all graces, right into the much more appropriate role of component manufacturers. good ol' USA can stomp them any day, afaic.

Yuniverse

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003

But there are alternatives. LG is preferable to me, and has great TVs and washing machines.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
There is obvious reason why you are not CEO of Samsung, Apple or any big company for that matter, but just a regular guy posting on a regular forum. Samsung should consider itself lucky to do business with a company as big as Apple! Think about revenue! You are obviously the kind of person who would take business decisions to personal. Who would be crazy enough to miss that opportunity to provide components for the most popular phone on the planet? Well, except you of course.

Not to mention that if they did what you are suggesting above, Samsung would be facing a huge huge penalty for breaching the terms of contract.

The irony of this is revealed in his signature where he announces his ownership of an iPhone 6+. The animosity toward Apple of so many on this site is odd, but the sweet syrupy irony is that they take their "integrity" all the way to the Apple Store, drop it off outside the store and pick it up once again with Apple product in hand when they leave, then they go home to log in to MacRumors and resume their attacks on Apple. It boggles the mind.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009

Am I the only one that is worried that apple will kill all competition and become a Microsoft? They will become lazy because no one will compete, they monopolize the entire market. Having one big company to rule them all is a bad thing for us consumers. Many people are noticing the decline of Apple quality. Bug fixes aren't coming. Why would they fix things when every single release their sales go up threefold?

I am a developer and know many developers and I'll tell you, even their API's are insanely buggy now. Marco, a really popular developer (I think he started instagram, not sure) is also saying the same thing that we are all voicing. Apple is going downhill because no one can even barely compete with them.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
There is obvious reason why you are not CEO of Samsung, Apple or any big company for that matter, but just a regular guy posting on a regular forum. Samsung should consider itself lucky to do business with a company as big as Apple! Think about revenue! You are obviously the kind of person who would take business decisions to personal. Who would be crazy enough to miss that opportunity to provide components for the most popular phone on the planet? Well, except you of course.

Not to mention that if they did what you are suggesting above, Samsung would be facing a huge huge penalty for breaching the terms of contract.

Well obviously, and if I was the CEO I would probably not do much different because I work with many CEO's and business is business. When it comes down to money, nobody cares about anything personal.

I guess I was trying to make an analogy but reading it and running it through my head again, it is silly.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Samsung profits have been eroding the last full year, there is no way they would pass on Apple's business.

Ya I know... I guess what I was trying to say is if Apple was in Samsung's position and still had the money they have right now, I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what they would do. That's why this whole article is disturbing a little.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I missed the Sony ones...
Costco sells those as well. In fact the last time I was in there, Costco had a 55" Sony on special, and it was roughly in the same ballpark pricewise, as similarly sized Samsungs.

Compare the Sonys side-by-side to the Samsungs, and you may find the Sonys to have a more natural white balance. Out of the box (without calibration, and most consumers I venture to say don't do this), I find the Samsungs to have pasty whites, leaning towards the purple, which is my biggest gripe with Samsung TVs. But that's my personal opinion, you may find otherwise.

Last edited:

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Am I the only one that is worried that apple will kill all competition and become a Microsoft? They will become lazy because no one will compete, they monopolize the entire market. Having one big company to rule them all is a bad thing for us consumers. Many people are noticing the decline of Apple quality. Bug fixes aren't coming. Why would they fix things when every single release their sales go up threefold?

I am a developer and know many developers and I'll tell you, even their API's are insanely buggy now. Marco, a really popular developer (I think he started instagram, not sure) is also saying the same thing that we are all voicing. Apple is going downhill because no one can even barely compete with them.

In what area? Not only do they not enjoy a near monopoly, like Microsoft, they're not the biggest player in any area (except possibly tablets), in terms of market share. Given that, I don't understand your concern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.