Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driven01

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Apps

I have no doubt that Samsung has a fine tablet here. (While my work phone is an iPhone, my personal phone is a Galaxy Note 3, so I'm pretty device agnostic.)

The main advantage to the iPad has nothing to do with specs or any of that hoopla, but rather it's the app library and the ecosystem around it. Regardless of how awesome Samsung's tablet is (and it is), they can't match these two areas.

If you are a big user of Apple's app library then the iPad is a clear choice. (Android's tablet library is very small. Lots of up-sized phone apps out there!) If you are mostly using it as a web-device and to access the Google web-services, then Samsung might be a better choice.

For the moment the enterprise level integration tends to favor Apple. But in those cases, it's typically the company choosing the device anyway.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
I'm getting sick of these adverts, not just Samsung but from other competitors. Why can't they just advertise their products for the features that they have and let it stand on it's own two feet instead of always having to compare it directly with the iPhone 5S or the iPad Air.

And yes, Apple perhaps did start it with the Mac vs PC ads a while back. But the beauty of those ads was that Apple was generic about it, they didn't target specific manufacturers or particular devices. Just shows how desperate the competition must be if they're always attacking specific Apple products directly.

Insecurity. When people are insecure with their own looks, they bash other people's looks. They're insecure with their own sexual orientation, they bash other people's sexual orientation. They're insecure with their own belief/religion, they bash other people's belief/religion. And so on...

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Samsung makes the best screens in the world
cut 1

I think this one looks better, yea I think this one looks better too
cut 2

which ones better? the samsung, the galaxy tab S

cut 3

yes I would definitely pick the samsung

cut 4

in the edit room at samsung found on the cutting room floor

cut 1 ... thats why apple use them and they're in the iPhone and iPad and MacBooks

cut 2 ... showing a picture of a salad on the samsung and a fast food burger on the iPad

cut 3 ... showing a picture of a mansion on the samsung and a straw hut on the iPad

cut 4 ... picture of cats on samsung picture of pizza on iPad

in the main office at samsung HQ

guys I think we tricked those folks with our version of the rigged pepsi challenge.

Down with apple down with apple Samsung rocks....

what shall we do now?

im all out of ideas!!!

at google HQ a search enquiry from Samsung pings

apples next innovation

whats apple doing now

apple iHat

Last edited:

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Let the Samsung bashing begin!

Proud Note 3 owner.

Oh; when you guys line up for iPhone 6 don't forget about those Samsung made parts you will be buying keeping Samsung in business.

i love the ''proud note 3 owner part''. since when are you supposed to feel proud or ashamed of your phone ?

i never understood the note 3 but hey you may like it. at the end of the day its comments like yours that keep feeding these arguments and the bashing.

now back to the subject, i hate samsung, not because they copied apple or any of that, but its the way they operate, they released the 5th smart watch in a year because they have no compass.

The galaxy tab is an enigma wrapped in a puzzle and i dare anyone who isn't a forum attendee to tell them apart. its like sony with their never-ending phones.

they may be good at making phones, but their tablets absolutely suck!!!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
looks like a decent device but i think AMOLED looks horrible. unnatural with some weird blueish tint

not sure what the nexus 5 uses but that one looks great

Last edited:

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Samsung should use the calculator app on the Galaxy first. They're a few pixels short of a million.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Let the Samsung bashing begin!

Proud Note 3 owner.

Oh; when you guys line up for iPhone 6 don't forget about those Samsung made parts you will be buying keeping Samsung in business.

What parts?

The chip will be TSMC or both, the screen will be sharp or lg, ram elpida, memory Toshiba?

Samsung will have 0 or 1 manufactured components per iPhone.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
A plastic device is 4 (four) grams lighter than its competitor made of aluminium.
Way to go, chaps.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
very scientific.

Anyone got some stats as to how much brighter the Samsung screen is?
I wonder how much the battery life if when the samsung is on full brightness and if the iPad was on full brightness.

If the iPad brightness fulfils its purpose, then a brighter screen is pointless

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
jimmy kimmel convinced a bunch of people that his knock off goo phone was the new Iphone 6 and with in a couple minutes they were all claiming how much faster it was lol

He also apparently convinced you that the segment wasn't heavily edited...

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I do love these threads.

Pure entertainment watching all the Apple fans get upset! Calm down people!

Lets turn it up a notch shall we - "So it was ok for Apple to do it in the Mac vs PC ads?" ;)

Last edited:

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Insecurity. When people are insecure with their own looks, they bash other people's looks. They're insecure with their own sexual orientation, they bash other people's sexual orientation. They're insecure with their own belief/religion, they bash other people's belief/religion. And so on...

Yes.

Instead of advertising their product, they un-advertise the main competitor.

Ask 100 randoms, "what is an iPad" and "what is a Galaxy Tab". For the ad to work it needs to splash Galaxy Tab everywhere and market it

----------

He also apparently convinced you that the segment wasn't heavily edited...

LOL, open ended! Define heavily. Only once or only 8 times???

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
i love the ''proud note 3 owner part''. since when are you supposed to feel proud or ashamed of your phone ?

You must be new here. Whenever someone questions any Apple product here, you'll find a number of people acting up like someone had just **** on their grandmother's grave.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
LOL, open ended! Define heavily. Only once or only 8 times???

I don't think it matters how many times, the point is Samsung made the segment to make ios users look funny. If apple did the bit to make Samsung users look funny, they could have edited that way.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
My god.

Intelligent life not found in this video.

"That's a lot of pixels" pretty much sums it up.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
What parts?

The chip will be TSMC or both, the screen will be sharp or lg, ram elpida, memory Toshiba?

Samsung will have 0 or 1 manufactured components per iPhone.

Its ok if Apple uses Samsung parts. If they are better, use them. But they won't end up with a wild west of Android OS, that is the issue.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I love Apple products, I don't own an iPad and I am happy to say if a competing product is better if it actually is. But what sort of ridiculously dumb advertising is this? Comparing a tablet on thinness and lightness (two good features no doubt) is utterly stupid. Both are thin and both are light.

No mention of an inferior OS, cheap nasty plastic materials etc. Is the Galaxy Tab good? Sure. Is it better simply because it's a bit thinner and lighter? Well maybe if you are a brain dead peasant, but some of us value what's inside rather than it's basic weight and dimensions.

I thought the adverts comparing iPhone users to wall/plug huggers was actually pretty clever. It's my only gripe with my iPhone. But this just wreaks of desperation and could they have chosen a more hipster looking cool dude?

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Come down? You mean Calm Down. I am an Apple user, I finished school! ;)

Very clever, I see what you did there. I'm presuming your school never taught you understanding, tolerance and the fact of life that everyone makes mistakes ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.