Samsung ATIV 9 Plus 3200x1800 Touch Screen Haswell Processor MacBook Air Killer

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by YesILoveTech, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors newbie

It's thin, it's light, it has more pixel density than even the Retina 13" MBP, has 12 hr battery life, Haswell processor, a touchscreen, and USB 3.0., and all metal construction

This blows the thick bezeled MBA out the window. Apple it's your turn now. And I was just about to buy a MBA. Not anymore.

2. macrumors 604

ravenvii

Oh gosh! A newbie coming in to give us hapless Mac users the Good News! Oh gosh, a MacBook Air killer! There were many, but this one will truly be the killer!

[​IMG]

3. macrumors 6502

The screen looks amazing, but everything else is worse or yet to be verified. For example, is the battery Reilly going to provide 12 hours of usage.

4. macrumors 68000

Right, OP. except for that tiny detail about having to use Windows. Enjoy that.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I enjoy both Mac OS as well as windows. My MBP runs both of them. I was really going to go with a MAc again, but I was blown away by the ATIV 9 Plus...stupid name and all.

6. macrumors regular

Honestly, that is one hideous looking laptop.

7. macrumors 6502

I don't see many people abandoning their Airs for this machine:

1. It has a *glossy* touch display, making it fingerprint and smudge prone.

2. It's heavier than the Air. (3.06 pounds vs 2.96 pounds)

3. Only 11 hours of battery life vs a minimum of 12 on the Air.http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/ativbook9plus.html

4. Worse graphics than the Air (HD 4400 vs HD5000 on the Air)

5. Windows sucks at handling high-resolution displays.

6. Its predecessor, the Series 9 ultrabook, which Samsung presented as a MacBook Air competitor, did not make much headway against the Air.

7. Brand recognition and loyalty for MacBooks is greater for MacBooks than for any Samsung laptops.

8. macrumors regular

8. MUCH *MUCH* better support when encountering issues with the device, just take a look at this forum for example :)

9. macrumors 65816

Thing that I wonder is how performance will be with the HD 4400.

10. macrumors member

Waiting for RMBP 15" users to chime in :rolleyes:

I recently purchased a new mac air (In transit). I researched the aforementioned laptop before making my purchase.
    I do like Samsung products. Issues with their series 7 & 9 laptops had me rule them out, among the Asus ultrabooks as well.

Windows does not display high resolution screen with usable text (yet).

The mac air doesn't need a resolution change. Maybe IPS screen and increased DPI.

When home connect it to a Dell 27 ultra-sharp and on the go, enjoy the best portable laptop available.

Your points #'s 1,3,4,5 will help keep the mac air more competitive when the samsung is released.

11. macrumors 6502a

Read the anandtech review (of the 2013 Air). The answer is "very similar".

12. macrumors 65816

Just had a look, for most GPU things the difference between the HD5000 and 4400 is the same as the difference between the HD4000 and 4400.

So I'm still curious to see how this performs based on the high res screen. AKA can't wait to read some reviews!

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

Bullet point #3 Rebuttal: It's pushing far more pixels and resolution and still getting 11-12 hours of battery life. Nice try though.

Bullet point #5 Rebuttal: Come on that's the best you could come up with?

Bullet point #4 Rebuttal: Yeah because the target audience is Crysis 2 right? Actually no...and it has already been reviewed running video editing and photo editing apps with no problem.

Bullet point #2 Rebuttal: Then I better get in the gym for that HUGE increase in weight...or not. I'll take a minuscule increase in weight for more features AND a touch screen...don't forget the touchscreen which Windows 8 is optimized for.

Bullet point #1 Rebuttal: T0 make that point is to trash the beautiful displays on the rMBP both 13" and 15". We as consumers for the most part have learned to coexist with glossy screens even with the minor inconveniences they have at times.

Bullet point 6 and 7 I will give you. But products like the ATIV 9 Plus are ones that will close the gap...not too much unlike how the Samsung Galaxy 2 started closing the gap on the iPhone. Now 2 iterations later the Samsung Galaxy S4 is a serious serious competitor and has caused more than a few prior loyal Apple people to sway.

14. macrumors regular

dr34mc4st3r

#9. Far better resale value with the MBA in a year or two :p

15. macrumors 68040

entatlrg

oh oh the MacBook Air killer is coming :eek:

:rolleyes:

16. macrumors 6502a

1. Yes its glossy but the resolution is MUCH better. You don't have to touch the screen if you don't want to - use of the touchscreen is optional.

2. Wow 0.1 pounds... thats like 45g. Generally speaking you need a weight difference of at least 5% to be noticeable. Doesn't matter when you add a case/sleeve or put it in a backback.

3. Apple probably has better battery life but the difference is little and probably due mostly to the screen.

4. There is almost 0 difference between the HD 4400 and the HD 5000. Both are so thermally limited that fps is within 5%. Furthermore the igp isn't strong enough for mainstream gaming anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(more on the AT review).

5. True, not sure if you can but can you do 200% scaling for 900 x 1600?

6 + 7. This by no means affect the functionality of the device.

17. laflores, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

macrumors regular

10. Looks like any generic netbook... I know it doesn't affect performance or how fast it runs Minesweeper, but it means something for me and other people.

And I can't understand that "(Apple product) killer" obsession. I have seen several iPhone, iPad, iPod and Macbook killers come and go, but the Apple products are still selling by millions...

18. Guest

Most android/windows phones have better specs than the iPhone and iPad, yet they haven't been killed. Samsung has beat Apple pretty hard in the smartphone space but no one has yet to compete with Apple on the iPad. Windows lost $900 million and dropped the price of the Surface.

MacBooks still make up 56% of laptop purchased so I dont think one product will kill it.

Most people will buy a MacBook especially back to school because of its popularity and reliability.

I don't think Apple has anything to be worried about. Unless you follow Mac Rumors and spend all day fighting over which laptop is better, most people will never here about this.

Also Samsung couldn't pick a better/shorter name...? I don't understand why its so hard. lol Spec wise it looks good but I have doubts on performance results.

19. macrumors newbie

Taskman

I think Samsung is doing right and have a good computer but I don't think Windows is really good for that resolution.
    Sure if they do something like apple where you double the pixels but they probably have some patent on that.

Either way it is a good machine for Windows and it is good overall but I don't really compare Mac to Windows machines in that way.

Lets just hope it doesn't cost 1999$ msrp or so. I didn't check for the price if it was stated just read the spec.

20. macrumors member

Nothing like putting in "X-Apple-Product Killer" in the title to make me instantly lose respect and throw away any credibility you might have.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard about something "killing" an apple product, I could buy that apple product cash by now.

Such a joke. If specs were ALL THAT MATTERED, Apple would sell 0 laptops every year.

Then again, we need people like the OP buying crappy electronics to promote competition. SOMEONE has to keep companies like Samsung in the game!

21. macrumors member

Does it run OSX? I hate to throw away my investment in software.

22. macrumors 6502

Don't get ridiculous, man! No one in real life will notice these differences. But for the sake of punctuality you are right.

23. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Here's why it's not an MBA killer: It runs Windows and Windows only. And Windows users are used to cheap and nasty laptops and don't buy what they call "overpriced crap"; not from Apple, not from Samsung.

If you convince anyone to leave "cheap and nasty", they leave Windows at the same time and go to Apple.

24. macrumors 6502

And yet, they are not going to dent Apple's market share position.

Apple won't miss your business.

Another lame ass troll.

25. macrumors 68000

I think the point several of you are missing is that the Samsung has a slightly weaker GPU, but it's powering a much higher resolution... Performance is going to suffer in some applications.

Otherwise I have no issue with the Samsung, but not what I am looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.