Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This hurts... I love Apple, (should I say want to love?)... but I can't fault Samsung for advertising what makes them better.

I wish I could respond with, "well, the Pro actually sucks and Apple is awesome because..." but that would be a lie.

Samsung is picking up where Apple stopped... I can't fault them for continuing to innovate (and show the innovation in a new product) when all Apple is doing is rereleasing the same one products again.

Maybe Apple should take note.

There ad is not completely off base in terms of hating on the ipad, actually I found it pretty accurate. But they chose the wrong platform to compare themselves to with the surface, which trumps it in pretty much all categories. They would have probably been better off just comparing themselves to the ipad and kindle.

andyvp

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Detroit, MI
I'm sure my wife would have that exact same discussion given the same scenario...except she has an iPad 2....and resolution is meaningless to her... and doesn't know anyone with a Samsung tablet
The iPad just works.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
There ad is not completely off base in terms of hating on the ipad, actually I found it pretty accurate. But they chose the wrong platform to compare themselves to with the surface, which trumps it in pretty much all categories. They would have probably been better off just comparing themselves to the ipad and kindle.

Yup, it's pretty ridiculous on Samsung's part to bash the Surface because it CAN have a keyboard / mouse / dock. After all, noone forces anyone to use those input devices. The Surface (Pro) is perfectly usable without any external input hardware - this isn't the "old", non-touch-optimized Windows any more.

iRockApple

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Chicago, IL.
This hurts... I love Apple, (should I say want to love?)... but I can't fault Samsung for advertising what makes them better.

I wish I could respond with, "well, the Pro actually sucks and Apple is awesome because..." but that would be a lie.

Samsung is picking up where Apple stopped... I can't fault them for continuing to innovate (and show the innovation in a new product) when all Apple is doing is rereleasing the same one products again.

Maybe Apple should take note.

Apple does not rerelease the same thing over and over. Each iteration of their products are different whether it be internally or externally. You my friend are confusing the hardware with the software (i.e. OS).

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Mac Vs. PC Again

It has been analyzed to death but why not rehash it. I'll stop when Safari stops getting snappier.

The MVsPC ads worked because the message was clear at the same time as making the "victim" the subject of empathy.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Negative advertising is a lot like negative political ads. They may work on simpletons but annoy people who actually understand the issues.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
"Retina Thingy" sounds a hell load more catchy than "two thousand five hundred and sixty by one thousand six hundred resolution"!

But they must make it know that they have more pixels! Even if the screen clarity and color can't match the iPad's they have more pixels!

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Apple needs to kiss and make up with Costco

Costco has been heavily promoting Samsung products and are selling pallets of them on a daily basis. Refusing to pick up Costco as a full reseller has cost Apple a lot in mobile phone and tablet market share, and that's a real shame.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Remember the Mac vs PC ads? Same thing.

Uh, no. Not even close. PC in those ads was the favorite character. John Hodges did such a great job with that portrayal that it made the ads. Was there some elements of poking at weaknesses in Windows? Sure. But it was done in an upbeat, tongue in cheek manner. Were there people who didn't like it? Of course. But the vast majority did.

With this ad, the comparisons are done in a condescending, petulant way that doesn't offer much in the way of humor.

It also misses the mark on its criticisms. Someone else has already comment on the issue of more pixels not equating to a better display. Also, the inability of the guy to send a file while on a FaceTime call is the failure of the guy's knowledge, not of the iPad's ability. I've switched over and sent files while in such calls. It is true that the split screen capability is a shortcoming, but trying to criticize that how they did fell short, IMO.

11thIndian

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I know this is Samsung's game, but the last point about screen resolution is so misleading.

Though the Samsung technically has "more pixels", the horizontal resolution is only 64 pixels more. Furthermore, at 12.2 inches, the Samsung is spreading those pixels out over a much larger screen than the 9.7 inch iPad. So the ppi of the Samsung is certainly lower. So I'm not sure how anyone could reasonably make the claim that the picture would be better. And if you're talking about the 8.4 inch version, which definitely has a higher DPI than the iPadAir, then wouldn't it be more comparable to the iPadMini?

Ah forget it. It's all just marketing...

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
While the ads are snarky, Samsung does have a point--iOS is not useful for business/productivity applications. There would have have to be a way of actually dealing with files in order for iOS to be competitive in this respect. The S-pen is also a nice advantage--sadly, because of the ridicule Apple faced with the Newton, there will never be an Apple device with a pen.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Hey didn't Apple bash PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxOIebkmrqs

pc+and+mac.jpg

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I, personally, while love Wacom & windowed multitasking, won't get any Tab Pros. It's just too darn expensive and I don't see any point in preferring an Android tablet to a similarly-priced Windows 8 Pro. After all, the latter runs orders of magnitude more high-quality software and will receive official OS upgrades even in, say, 2020.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Apple does not rerelease the same thing over and over. Each iteration of their products are different whether it be internally or externally. You my friend are confusing the hardware with the software (i.e. OS).

What?!? Apple pioneered the "S" format of releasing the same product with minor hardware enhancements.

iRockApple

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Chicago, IL.
Costco has been heavily promoting Samsung products and are selling pallets of them on a daily basis. Refusing to pick up Costco as a full reseller has cost Apple a lot in mobile phone and tablet market share, and that's a real shame.

I'm not sure what your definition of a lot is, but most people that shop at Costco are not going there to buy tech. You get way better deals at Sam's.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
I haven't seen the ads, but based on what the article says, Samsung is right. The iPad is weak in a lot of ways. Apple could do a much better job of optimizing the iOS user experience for tablets. It currently only really works well on the iPhone.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I mean the Mac vs PC ads were actually funny/entertaining. These are just attacks. Really. Same **** different desperate gasp for air.

Agreed. And the Mac guy was never rude about it.

Personally the only Samsung products I buy are TV's, monitors, SSD's, washer, dryer, dishwasher, and fridge. Everything else is crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.