Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in January, Samsung announced plans to add iOS support to its Gear S2 Smart Watch, and it appears the South Korean company is getting close to launching the promised iOS app.

Starting today, Samsung is launching a new beta testing program for the Gear iOS app (via SamMobile), which will run from Wednesday, August 24 to Monday, September 19, suggesting a release date that could come as early as late September.

samsunggeariosbetatest-800x302.jpg

The Gear iOS beta is only available to Samsung Gear S2, Gear S2 Classic, and Gear Fit 2 owners who are located in South Korea, so U.S. users will not be able to participate in the beta testing process. Participation in the beta program requires an Apple ID and an iPhone 5 or later running iOS 8.4 or later.

Samsung plans to use the feedback garnered from beta testers to make improvements to its upcoming iOS app. Details on the app, including screenshots, leaked out back in April. Based on that leaked information, the Gear S2 iOS app will be able to deliver notifications to the smart watch and it will be able to install and manage apps from the Gear store.

Aside from an end date of September 19 for the beta testing program, Samsung has given no hints on when iOS support will be officially implemented.

Article Link: Samsung Launches Limited iOS Beta Program for Gear S2 Smart Watch

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
Sweet! can't wait to see the Gear S3 announcement, I think will put a shadow over the Galaxy S line this year

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Sweet! can't wait to see the Gear S3 announcement, I think will put a shadow over the Galaxy S line this year
Have you seen the size difference between the gear and galaxy lines? No way they cast a shadow over the galaxy.

...and yes, I am ashamed of that joke. But I shared it anyway. Feel free to have a laugh at my expense. :D

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
Have you seen the size difference between the gear and galaxy lines? No way they cast a shadow over the galaxy.

...and yes, I am ashamed of that joke. But I shared it anyway. Feel free to have a laugh at my expense. :D
Don't be! Was a really good one!..and I felt right into it xD

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.

The Gear iOS beta is only available to Samsung Gear S2, Gear S2 Classic, and Gear Fit 2 owners who are located in South Korea, so U.S. users will not be able to participate in the beta testing process.
The signup site is in Korean, but it is not limited to Korean users that I can see.
I translated the signup page and didn't find any such requirements as to the testers location.
It might be in there, but I haven't found it yet.
I signed up with my Apple ID.... who knows, it might work.
If not, I'll keep using the leaked version from April.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I have the Apple Watch and I try to pay attention to people's wrist to see what they are using, if anything. I see a ton of fit bits. some pebble and always growing number of apple watches. But I have yet to see a single Samsung gear in my tiny corner of the world.

Reactions: swupnil

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I think this is a good thing that they're bringing the gear watches to iOS. It only results in more competition and choice. We'll be able to use a Pebble, Android Wear, Gear or Apple Watch with our phones.

And I say this as an Apple Watch owner, competition like this is a great thing.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I am loving my Gear S2 4G. I don't think I ever would have tried one if not for the free promotional give away by AT&T because I really love my Apple Watch and I do love square watches. I never really thought highly of Android or Tizen watches because they are so big. I tried this only because it was free and I'm glad I did.

And wow, this has a beautiful clean well designed interface. And it's really nice to be able to download custom watch faces for it. I'm currently using a Steampunk themed one...which is what I always wanted for an Apple Watch.

I do miss my activity rings and my moon phase complication. But not enough to give up on Gear S2. Texting on it is implemented better than trying to get Siri to recognize my words and differentiate between "Aunt" and "ant" for example. And I like that I can make or receive a call on it without a phone on me.

It's just looks a bit big on me. The rose gold classic version would probably look okay on me. Like an oversized ladies fashion watch. But the sporty styling of the white and steel one I have look kind of clunky on me. My husband looks great in his, though. It looks like a regular sport watch and is nicely proportioned on a man. He likes it better than his Apple Watch. He got bored not being able to download watch faces for the Apple Watch and never got into switching up bands the way I did.

I'm looking forward to seeing how IOS get implemented on it. I'm still using my iPhone SE so I will probably keep it paired with my Apple Watch and keep my Gear S2 paired with my Note 7 number.

Reactions: kdarling and r3m1

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
I guess I'm curious how big the pool of potential testers would be..? This just doesn't seem like something where people would actually be willing to mix ecosystems.

assign0101

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2016
christchurch
READ - just your opinion
Gear S2 definitely has a lot going for it..
Super AMOLED Display..gorgeous screen and best of all battery efficient.
IP68 Waterproofing..go for a swim
GPS inbuilt.
Now with e-sim Totally independence from your iPhone/Smartphone leave that at home go for a Run/Walk using Gear S2. S Health app or Nike.app

Reactions: r3m1

Karma*Police

Suspended
Jul 15, 2012
I have the Apple Watch and I try to pay attention to people's wrist to see what they are using, if anything. I see a ton of fit bits. some pebble and always growing number of apple watches. But I have yet to see a single Samsung gear in my tiny corner of the world.

That's been my experience though I have seen a few round Android watches so it's possible I have seen one or more... I just can't tell it apart from the rest of them, and that's the brilliance of Apple's design. Love it or hate it, it's very distinctive.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I know of one person who has a Samsung Gear, though I've not had a chance to ask him about it. I see mostly Fitbit's and very few Apple Watches here and there in my town.

I switch between my traditional Skagen watch and the Fitbit Surge, depending on if I'm going to the gym after work on a particular day.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I've seen at least one in the wild around here, but I'm not sure if that's because the major carriers have started giving them away with Galaxy smartphones or if the guy actually bought it in addition to his phone.
[doublepost=1472134264][/doublepost]
Moon can eclipse the sun if it hits the right spot
Yes, but what kind of crazy huge gear would you have to have to cast a shadow over a galaxy?? Also, galaxies are light-producing, so you can't really cast a shadow on... I think this metaphor has kinda fallen apart on me.

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
Has anyone successfully signed up for this new beta, I ran the page through a translator and signed up, now i'm waiting...

Got accepted and just need to grab a gear fit 2 once stores open.... My biggest question is what about S health. Isn't this pointless if S health isn't available for the iPhone

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Got accepted and just need to grab a gear fit 2 once stores open.... My biggest question is what about S health. Isn't this pointless if S health isn't available for the iPhone
I think the integration with iOS will be primarily for notifications and limited app integration. Apple's approach to fitness seems very different from S-Health's so I am very curious about this, myself. S Health uses sensors that are in the phone, too, not just from the watch.

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
I think the integration with iOS will be primarily for notifications and limited app integration. Apple's approach to fitness seems very different from S-Health's so I am very curious about this, myself. S Health uses sensors that are in the phone, too, not just from the watch.

So I just got it up and running on IOS 10 with a Gear Fit2. Notifications are coming through. S Health is contained within the GearFit2 app, so it's no a separate app like on samsung. The S Health appears to be an older version and not the updated one I've seen reviewed around the web.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.