Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm in the market for a digital video camera of sorts. I've never ever in my life used one, so I don't know what I'm getting into, except that I have a mac, an external 40 gig USB 2.0 hard drive to spare, and some extra cash. My aim is to stay under $300, and after a little research, I've found the following.

JVC GR-D370 $300
Samsung SC-D365 $320
Samsung SC-D363 $265
The only functional difference I can see between the two Samsung camcorders is a light. Do I really need to spend the extra $40 for a light bulb? Does samsung make good camcorders? What about JVC? Any sugguestions?

I'm partial to Samsung after I had a Dell in which EVERY concievable part in it was replaced EXCEPT for the parts made my Samsung, but I've heard good things about JVC as well...
Thoughts, sugguestions?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Go with Sony.

They make brilliant Digital Camcorders with superb lenses. The Carl Zeiss lens.

Look for a Sony DCR-TRV22E on eBay. They're a couple of years old but mine is still going very strong today!

I'm also using a 3CCD Sony PD-170 DVC-CAM and i absolutely adore it!

Rich.

theknowles

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
when choosing cameras its best to stick to these brands:
sony
canon
and panasonic.
a really good 1ccd camera is the optura 10 http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-OPTURA-10...614043358QQcategoryZ20330QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
these produce, in mine and many others opinion, the best colours you can get out of a 1chip, although once again its acouple of years old which isnt so much a problem. But personally id stay away from samsung and stay WELL away from JVC as these have major tape deck problems

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
According to the site posting, Samsung cameras don't really score too well. I guess this makes sense since Samsung isn't really known as a camera maker. I suggest you find one at a local department store and see if you like it. It really depends on what you expect out of it, though since you're looking to spend a low amount of money, you should probably be somewhat forgiving.

Samsung is just trying to make a little of everything, so far, everything else I've seen from them has been top notch... TVs, laptops, phones, mp3 players, washing machines... etc. I guess cameras are the exception.

latisha1903

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2005
houston
well i can say that my Samsung doesn't work with ichat for video. so i'm sorta bumed for that. but i got this cam like at least 3 years ago for my birthday. and as a college student i can't be too choosey, it works fine for what i do with it.

i hope to one day upgrade though, and replace it with a sony

its a samsung scd27 (digital cam)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'm going to go with the Sony DCR-HC36 (why can't Sony have simple names, like apple does :confused: ) It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but it looks like a good camera, and long lasting.

Before I get it, does anyone have any experience with it or words of wisdom that I should heed?

EDIT: @#$%^&* just realized it doesn't have a mic-in port. Is there one that DOES for less than $350? This looks nice, althoug it costs $$$$

EDIT: I can get either one now, price is irrelivant. Which one is better? The Sony seems to have better stability and night view while the panasonic has a mic-in port....thoughts?

theknowles

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
night shot is pretty useless,the panny also doesnt have a moveable viewfinder, i dont have much faith in the panasonics untill you get to the 3 chip level which are very good (dvx100b being the ruler of all vx's/ gl's). I still stand by my origional input by saying the optura ten http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-OPTURA-10-...QQcmdZViewItem is the best bet to go for, they're cheap, have good manual controls and a large ccd which is important. Incase you dont know what a ccd is, its what is used to capture colours thus producing the image, the bigger the ccd, the better the colour. The optura has a 1/3 inch ccd (the same size ccd that you will find in higher end profeshional cameras, although they have 3) and the panasonic has 1/6 inch. It depends on whether ure ok with getting asecond hand/older camera.

EDIT: didnt see the price not an issue thing, now you have the cash go for this bad boy http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f=pd_bbs_1/002-8932825-4472851?_encoding=UTF8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.