Samsung D900 (Phone) and Mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Anoi, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Anoi macrumors member

I'm currently trying to decide between the Sony k800i and Samsung D900 as my new phone. One issue i have is that i use BluePhoneElite on my Mac, and also sync the address book. However, i am not entirely sure that the D900 will work with BPE or syncing (the k800i will be fine though). Can anyone confirm whether it will work or not?

2. kwmacforum macrumors newbie

Samsung D900

Hello Anoi.

I have a D900 and an iBook with a D-Link DBT120 (OS X 10.4.7). BluePhoneElite sees the D900 okay and even looks like its receiving info. But it doesn't display any data. Sending a SMS produced an error message.

Using Apple Bluetooth File Exchange - a far simpler app - the devices pair okay and I can SEND FILEs no problem. BROWSE DEVICE works fine: I can see the D900’s folders but when I open these folders, no files are visible even though I can see them on the phone (and via the Windows app and USB lead that comes with the phone). I called Samsung UK Support (0870 726864) and I was told that it was a problem with ‘the Apple’. I pointed out that I have managed to get Sony Ericsson and Nokia phones to work and so I thought it unlikely to be Apple's fault. He replied, well ‘in any case we don’t support Apple’.

This is odd because I thought this send/receive Bluetooth functionality was standard. However, I notice that there are no Samsug phones on Apple’s iSync supported phones page -

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html.

This is one of those Mac marginalisation issues with the punch line – where do I go from here?

Maybe somone will figure this out? If I hear anything I'll post asap!

KW

Keywords Samsung D900 SGH-D900 Apple Mac OSX OS X

3. kyzyl macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I'm also on the hunt to figure out what I should use for data sync for the mac, as I've just bought a D900 myself. The file transfer works fine, but I don't know what I'm gonna use for the other syncing, as I'd like to be able to edit my calendar from my computer.

Any feedback would be appreciated greatly, thanks.

NOTE: Your problem with not seeing files is NOT an apple problem, you need to make the files bluetooth visible (via your handset) and then it will work fine. Confused me at first too.

4. kwmacforum macrumors newbie

D900 Bluetooth

Hi there Kyzyl. Can you tell me what you mean by make the files visible (via your handset) - How do I do that? I can't find anything in the manual (I did try that first!)

all the best

KW

5. kwmacforum macrumors newbie

OK - Don't worry - Found it! - Buried away in:

My Files/Images/My Photos/Options/12. Bluetooth Visible

So you have to do the same for all other file types (Videos, Music, Sounds, Other Files . . .)

Thank you Kyzyl for finding this! It would be great if Samsung Tech Support knew this! And it would be great if the default was Bluetooth visibility on!

Thanks again,

KW

6. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

I'm also planning to get Samsung D900, I don't know if you guys have tried syncing by using a palm? I tired it on the Siemens I have now and it partially worked.

7. kyzyl macrumors newbie

Yeah I just happened upon when I Was config'ing my phone, so I knew it was there. I would assume that you have to do it for the other types, as you have to select all and whatnot and you can only select within one type at a time.

My biggest hope is that I can sync my calendar from a mac application!

What do you mean syncing using a palm, actripxl?

8. Eldentistfuturo macrumors regular

I just got a k790a, the k800i for americia, and it works perfectly with isycn and address book. The main reason that I didnt chose the D900 was becuase of the isync issuse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pics on my Flickr acount.

9. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

How does THAT help? You just wanted to show us your new phone didnt you? :eek:

10. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I like this phone but they still seem to love the little joystiq in the middle that always goes funky!

11. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

If I don't find any real solution soon for the D900 I'm just going to get a Nokia N80.

12. harveypooka macrumors 65816

It's a bit flaky with OSx apparently, but you can get it work with iSync etc. The OS of the phone apparently is still quite sluggish, but I've read several reviews that love it. Nice big screen (bigger than P990i), better rez than most, but NO auto-focus and no springed slider. I'm still considering it...

13. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

The lack of auto focus is a bummer which is one reason the N73 is an option, but I really don't like candy bar style. Personally I like clamshell, but I'm willing to try a slider.

14. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Do you use the camera that much? It's always easy to get carried away with gadgets and what (I do!)! I want the P990i because of it's Wi-Fi and because the Sony Ericcsons always work well with Macs.

15. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

The thing is I'll be moving to Barcelona at the end of next month and want to be able to take quality pics since I'm not going to be dragging my camera around all the time. I plan to be there for a year so to me the camera is important since I will always have my phone on me.
    Hopefully with the announcement of the N95 the N80 will drop in price.

16. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Oh man, don't rely on a camera phone! Best advice from me is to accept the little bit of extra luggage (your camera) and take high quality shots that you'll remember and be able to edit, save, print later. You only live once!

17. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Ignore this man, a camera-phone is a more than adequate replacement for a POS camera (it obviously can't replace an SLR), provided you get a decent one, I highly recommend Sony Ericsson. Don't get a D900, I've been regretting it from the day it arrived.

18. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Ignore this man! Well, obviously it means having a better camera than what the camera has. But I can honestly say that a decent camera is infinitely better than a pinhole camera on a camera phone. I mean, you get better fidelity, better size, more accurate representation of image, a viewfinder...

19. neilthomas147 macrumors newbie

I have just got myself the D900 (not received it yet though) & I have been looking for a way to sync it with my mac, I have com accross this program call bitpim ( http://www.bitpim.org/ ).

Thought id let you all know as it claims to work with most phones (even though the site looks dated it might work)

Good luck

20. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

Don't know if this will work since at the top the program says its for CDMA and the D900 is GSM.

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

BitPIM barely works with the two Samsung phones listed and it works for phones using the Qualcomm chipset for CDMA. I tried it with my A900, which is a Sprint CDMA phone, and it didn't even recognise the phone enough to link to it.

22. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl