Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yeah you would rather have one company with a complete monopoly. Think about it. Just like if Ford was the only car company.

Plenty of people seem to be just fine with Google and Amazon having monopolies. ;)

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I really dig that UI. Has a Star Trek feel to it, something you might see on a Medical Tricorder or something.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I can't get involved with Samsung based on principle. Those guys have severe shady practices. They are the devil.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
What single piece of evidence have you that they have done anything like that? Do you seriously think they sit around checking Macrumours headlines and then rush to research, design, developed, prototype, manufacture, test and release something just in order to beat Apple? You really need a reality check if so.

A company the size of Samsung doesn't turn these sort of things around in a couple of weeks - pipeline products are planned months and years ahead of them becoming a market place reality.

What is truly embarrassing is how some people go on about how even when Apple isn't first at something, somehow other companies are still copying them. Apparently. :rolleyes:

The rumors of an iWatch with health sensors were around for quite some time. Considering Samsung's manufacturing powers (one of the reasons why Apple constantly goes back to Samsung for parts) they had plenty of time.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Couldn't they have found something better to hold the device other than some man's hairy arm?

Hey, that is Robin Williams they hired for that arm shot.

Celebrity advertising at its finest!

----------

I had to stop reading at the explanation of what SAMI stood for. That has to rank among worst acronyms ever. That includes all of the convoluted gov't ones. I hope Samsung put more thought into the actual system.

How about

SAMSUNG
HEALTH
INITIATIVE
TRACKER

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I can't get involved with Samsung based on principle. Those guys have severe shady practices. They are the devil.

And Apple, how do you feel about them because they've been found guilty of some of the "shady" practices I'm sure you're opposed to.

Where do some of the sensors go? Serious question. I don't want **** tacked to me day in and day out.

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Actually this is good marketing. Years later when iWatch got popular, Android fans will post ''Samsung did it first'', ''Samsung is the real Innovator'' etc.

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
What single piece of evidence have you that they have done anything like that? Do you seriously think they sit around checking Macrumours headlines and then rush to research, design, developed, prototype, manufacture, test and release something just in order to beat Apple? You really need a reality check if so.

Weren't Samsung found guilty of a company-wide campaign to purposefully imitate all aspects of the iPhone, including passing out printed materials to employees in order to help them achieve this? Oh yeah, they were.

Enjoy your reality check.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Remember when displaying "Mo" for Monday was cool and acceptable? Not these days.

Horowitzmosesphoto.jpg

Samsung must have an entire division dedicated to scanning the web for Apple rumors.

*Looks around suspiciously*

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011

And Apple is the standard of which honest and open is set? lol... don't fool yourself.

While I like Apple products better than Samsung (besides TVs) to think Apple is perfect or near perfect, even remotely honest is just ignorant.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Weren't Samsung found guilty of a company-wide campaign to purposefully imitate all aspects of the iPhone, including passing out printed materials to employees in order to help them achieve this? Oh yeah, they were.

Enjoy your reality check.

Where were they found guilty of copying rumours???

Nice try at being clever though with your last line.

MountainApple

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2011
HI
Oh Samsung. Way to scoop Apple two days before they made their announcement!
But your "me too" is truly reaching pathological proportions.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Those icons' shadows don't even all have the same angle. The one on the left even has non-parallel shadow lines...

The edges of shadows do not need to be parallel; it simply implies the light source is small or close to the glyph on the icon. Of all the odd things to criticize… :p And for some bloody reason, I've made a GIF illustrating how light source size affects shadow shape:

kHaGT8J.gif

Last edited:

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
I think all this Samsung moaning is quite boring. Of course companies copy ideas and try to preempt what market leaders are likely to do.

I don't think Samsung's stuff is as good as Apple's, but at least they tend to get a good range of products out there quickly. Apple sit on gazillions of dollars, and they are still prepared to sell clapped out Mac Minis and a laughably old Thunderbolt Display at a ridiculous price. I am far more irritated by that than anything Samsung do.

And for all those who like to say "if you don't like it, don't buy it", well I don't. And that should be a concern for shareholders.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Called SAMI (Samsung Architecture for Multimodal Interactions), the company's cloud-based sensor data platform...

There. Fixed that for ya, MacRumors. I know we like to bash Samsung on these forums, but I think posting inaccuracies (and not including source links) is a tad childish :p

RTP.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
wow samsung will take any apple rumor and turn it into a product. why cant they come up with their own ideas? are they that devoid of creativity.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
wow samsung will take any apple rumor and turn it into a product. why cant they come up with their own ideas? are they that devoid of creativity.

Actually, innovation is turning something REAL. In other words, I can design a teleportation system, but if I'm unable to turn it into a real product, it's not innovation at all.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Will this be like the Samsung watch?
As in Samsung won the race to be first. And that cost them any kind of product quality.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Awesome!
I wonder if others will follow(copy).

You mean will Samsung copy/reverse direction as soon as Apple comes out with their device?

I'm sure they will.

Right now Samsung is just throwing crap out to try to beat Apple so they don't get sued when they do eventually copy whatever Apple comes out with.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Lets scramble and create crap equipment to beat Apple in what we think will be the next big thing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.