Samsung Denies Claims of Price Hikes for iOS Device Chip Production

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Earlier this week, it was reported that Samsung had instituted a 20% price increase for production of Apple's A-series chips used in the company's iOS devices. The move was seen by some as a potential salvo in the ongoing patent battle between the two companies.

The Street now reports on an article [Google translation] from Korean newspaper The Hankyoreh citing a Samsung executive as saying that the rumors of a price hike are untrue.
    Conflicting reports about possible price hikes by Samsung come as the company has indicated that it is not interested in settling the patent dispute with Apple. HTC and Apple settled their dispute in an agreement announced this weekend.

Article Link: Samsung Denies Claims of Price Hikes for iOS Device Chip Production

2. jbrown, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2012

macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Have they or haven't they -- the truth will out... With the first price breakdown .
    They can hardly lie about this for long if they're fibbing!

3. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Oh, that's good, case closed.

This should be a short thread then.......

4. macrumors 68000

iGrip

Planted in the Media?

Apple plays the media like an accordion.

5. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Ahh yes. This is Apples fault.

*grabs popcorn and a bean bag*

6. macrumors 6502

extricated

What happened to fact-checking in journalism?
    People are way too eager to be the first ones to get a potential story out.

7. macrumors 6502a

coder12

And the moon landing was just a conspiracy... :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

This day Samsungs hate grew 4 times larger.
    [​IMG]

9. macrumors 68020

A Korean newspaper quoting an Samsung executive is played by Apple? :confused:

10. macrumors 601

Plutonius

Doesn't exist anymore.

11. macrumors 68030

BvizioN

Of course of course. Seems like a trend to blame Apple for everything now days.

12. macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I dont get this, wasnt the AX6 Apple's entire creation? They should stop buying from Samsung

13. macrumors 6502

Well, "the beginning of the year" is pretty soon, perhaps the 20% corresponds to what Samsung is looking for next year. I assume negotiations are underway.

14. macrumors 68030

BvizioN

Yes, but manifactured by Samsung.

15. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Once read in a (kind of political) magazine in a retraction of an article: "We printed this article because we had a declaration under oath by X that these facts were true. We are now retracting this article because we have a declaration under oath by Y that these facts are wrong. Since somebody lied under oath, we are handing the matter to the police".

16. macrumors 6502a

The original news paper cited by macrumors some days ago, chosun ilbo, a korean newspaper, has no credential like 'The Sun' in UK. They are 'Believe It or Not'.

17. macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Seriously, these two companies need to hug it out. :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Thus concludes today's lesson on how contracts work. Pretty sure that Apple isn't going to sign a contract with a supplier in which there is a clause that says "we can raise prices whenever we feel like it."

In negotiations? Sure. On a whim against a contract? No.

19. macrumors regular

ijha

You're spot on. The Chosun Ilbo is almost garbage nowadays.

20. macrumors G3

charlituna

I suspect it is more of that ilk. Apple is cutting orders to Samsung to spread the wealth so Samsung is asking for 20% more money for what they are making to make up one of the lost income

21. macrumors 603

Technarchy

Crazy talk

22. JAT
    macrumors 603

How does that "oath to the media" go?

23. macrumors member

It will be interesting to see if there are as many posts and digressions as there were in the previous article claiming to have the price hike.

This kinda shows that it is best not to get too worked up over rumors....hmmm....I may catch flack for that statement since I am on a Rumors site. :)

24. macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Exactly. Not only that, but it damages Samsung's reputation as a supplier for others. Companies like their suppliers to be predictable; not to force arbitrary price hikes against certain customers as an emotive response to them enforcing their legal rights.

If I'm buying components from Samsung, how do I know they won't one day consider me too competitive to their business and inflate their wholesale prices? I don't, so I won't buy from them (or will at least limit what I buy from them).

----------

Obviously I don't know the terms of the contract, but I'd suspect it isn't based on calendar years.

25. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Anywhere in the world, you can make a statement, and people can decide whether to believe it or not. If you talk to a magazine, they can decide whether to believe you or not. If they believe you and it is interesting, they'll print it. If they don't believe you, they won't print it.

In Germany, you can make any statement and make a declaration under oath that it is true. It is a crime to do that if the statement is actually false. So if you talk to a magazine, and they don't want to print it because they don't believe it, you call a lawyer as a witness, and declare under oath that you are saying the truth. They will now believe you. If it turns out that you lied, you are in trouble.