Samsung Drops Injunction Requests Against Apple in Europe

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 18, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In yet another development in the worldwide patent battle between Apple and Samsung, The Verge reports that Samsung has dropped its requests for injunctions barring the sale of a number of Apple products in Europe. Samsung has accused Apple of infringing several standards-essential patents related to cellular technology and has been pursuing both sales bans and monetary damages. Samsung's statement reads:
    While Samsung is portraying its move as an altruistic one focused on "protecting consumer choice", the company has been under scrutiny from the European Commission over potential antitrust issues related to licensing the standards-essential patents it owns.

[​IMG]
    Standards-essential patents are required to be licensed under FRAND (fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory) terms in order to promote competition. The requirement is aimed at preventing a single company from controlling an entire industry by refusing to license patents critical to building a competing product. Apple's lawyers have argued, however, that Samsung's offers for licensing its 3G-related patents have not been reasonable.

Apple has been pushing for greater clarification of how patents subject to FRAND terms should be licensed, and has been one of a number of parties to argue that standards-essential patents should not be used as the basis for requests for sales injunctions as the patents are intended to be licensed.

Article Link: Samsung Drops Injunction Requests Against Apple in Europe

2. macrumors 68040

KdParker

Not sure if this really means anything. Maybe they are playing nice with each other ;)

3. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Funny, Macrumors spins this story against Samsung, other tech sites spin this story against Apple.

Who to trust?

I just want the companies to get back to producing kick *** phones and devices.

4. macrumors 68030

bbeagle

Funny, everywhere I've read is spinning this story against Samsung for making such a ridiculous statement - 'in the interest of protecting consumer choice'.

Give me some places that are spinning this against Apple.

5. macrumors member

I agree with what was said in the comments on another site. I think Samsung have pulled out because of the threat from the EU to investigate abuse of SEP's.

I believe Motorola is already being investigated.

6. macrumors 603

Lol.. Yep.... But sees it all about "competing faily". .. How the hell did Samung take soo long?

another bird has died off before Samsung relied "in spirit"

Personally, this is where you Really wanna have a "we agree not to sue u" type aggreement.

7. macrumors 68030

Anything lawsuit Samsung Apple page 2 please?

8. macrumors 6502

Samsung stops wasting time and money and saves itself the embarrassment of losing in court. End of story.

9. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

Apple/Samsung, stop bothering each other and start innovating! I don't want to see a slightly updated 5S or S4.

10. JAT
    macrumors 603

Not pleased with the Note 2, GS III, or iPhone 5? If not, you may want to look at your standards.
    Admittedly, the iPad 4 and latest Galaxy Tabs aren't exactly doing anything special, just speed upgrades.

11. macrumors 65816

Is not funny, its a fact:

- Samsung oem some 3G patents that Broadcom licensed, Apple uses the licensed Broadcom chips and now Samsung says that from all companies that uses the Broadcom chips, Apple should pay more and the other companies not.
    - Apple innovate in physical design and GUI, Samsung blatantly copied both, and Samsung says it should be allowed to copy and don't pay.

12. macrumors regular

Who's complaining? Let's all be selfish, the end of all these court battles is better for us consumers.

13. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I am satisfied with the Note II more so than any other device I've used in the past 5 years. It really brings me back to my Palm TX days. I use it more than my iPad.

I agree however, that most of the slates being introduced aren't more than incremental updates save for the iPad Mini which really only keeps me interested because of it's size.

And Apple ripped off many a tech company in its day and vice versa and we've never seen such nonsense in the courts. Or at least it was kept quite.

14. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

This is a load of bollocks.

;) :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 68040

D.T.

Next week: Apple and Samsung take long hot shower together.

16. macrumors newbie

Next week we will all be GONE! ... end of the World coming this week ... or, haven't you heard yet ....

17. macrumors 68020

This type of news again?

18. macrumors newbie

Not for lawyers ... think how much money these bas&^%@ have been making riding this wave ....

19. macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Looks like Samsung is taking a play from Google's propaganda playbook.

20. macrumors regular

A show of hands, please... Who would prefer that all future stories about Apple/Samsung legal wranglings be relegated to Page 2?

21. macrumors 68040

D.T.

I totally forgot! I probably need to mail these Christmas cards _today_.

----------

Yeah, I sometimes wish there was additional sub-categories to the main news section, like: new products, legal, competitive analysis/financial, etc (in addition to the sort of platform specific sections).

22. macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

It's all a bit boring now.

23. macrumors 603

kas23

Phew! Thank God I got my Apple vs Samsung update today. I feel much relieved now.

24. macrumors 6502a

Samsung = bad, bad, Puddy Tat. Apple = Angelic Tweety...

Or at least that's how some of these PR spins read. I wish these two companies would just sit down and sort out their differences. I appreciate the quality of Samsung equipment.

25. macrumors 68040

There were many court stories about others suing apple back in the day as well, but we weren't reading them online every day. Nothing really changed.