Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an interview with Australian newspaper AdNews (via The Next Web), Samsung Australia's chief marketing officer Arno Lenior offered retrospect on the Korean company's 2012 "Next Big Thing" ad that mocked Apple loyalists, saying that it signaled Samsung "coming-of-age" as a brand, and "marked a tipping point" for the company's standing in consumer electronics globally. Lenior also stated that Samsung still sees itself as a "challenger" and invests heavily in research and development to stay ahead.

That really did mark quite a tipping point for us globally. We were able to tell a cheeky story - if you think about it, we're a Korean company starting to really mess with the order of things.

We've been able to do some good things from that [campaign]. The interesting thing about it from my perspective is that some of it is not the best work you've ever seen, some of it is the best work you've ever seen, but it's getting people talking, that's what I really love about it.

You've got fanboys after fanboys going, 'You can't put that out there', and then the Samsung fans saying, 'Yes, you can', and they're starting to have that conversation, which is brilliant. So that piece of content has been amazing for us, both globally and here in Australia.
Earlier this month, a survey from the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) ranked Samsung's Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II phones ahead of Apple's iPhone 5 in customer satisfaction. Since 2011, both Samsung and Apple have been in a long, ongoing legal battle over patent and design issues, with the first U.S. trial awarding $1 billion to Apple in 2012. However, a judge voided nearly half of that amount in March, and a new trial between the two companies is set for November of this year.

Article Link: Samsung Executive Cites Anti-Apple Ad as "Tipping Point" for Brand

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Got that, people?

If you like Samsung, you're a "Samsung fan."

If you like anything else (and by anything else we mean Apple, because evidently no other platforms or vendors exist). you're just a fanboy. You're also wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Some have taken personal offense to my comment, thus I edited it to make certain opinions expressed are not mine. This particular comment is merely one incident pertaining to a family member. I have never had a problem with AppleCare, I love it and swear by it. In fact, Apple replace 2 24" LED LCD's that were problematic for ~2 years with brand new 2 27" LED LCD's, refunded my AppleCare and gave me free AppleCare for the new displays. That is stellar service.

Surprisingly, a good amount of friends and family [by good amount I mean 3-4, which is actually a small amount, bad word choice] are considering switching mobile platforms. Most cite their opinion of Apple's lack of customer service with their devices; not their "entitlement." Many [some] paid monthly insurance [through their carrier and one with AppleCare] and were passed back and forth between the carrier [in this instance Sprint] and Apple, or Apple refused to replace the device with AppleCare as the Genius and management claimed the damage was not covered. [In regards to Sprint and Apple], neither took responsibility; Sprint claimed replacements need to be approved by Apple and Apple claimed Sprint is required to approve the replacement via paperwork, etc.*

*Let me clarify, this was their opinion, not mine. I have had nothing but great customer service from Apple. I repeat, I love Apple and never speak ill of Apple.

When carriers approved a replacement, for some reason Apple gave my brother a difficult time and insisted Spring replace it. Again, this happened to my brother, in no way does this reflect my opinions of Apple.

I tried to explain [to my brother], [that] moving [i.e. switching to another phone] would be more costly as purchased [Apple] apps (and media?) would be unusable, and syncing difficult [I do not know for certain]. Makes you realize how tied into Apple you become [not a bad statement on Apple, this applies to all carriers, I love Apple].

Ok, I hope this clarifies my comment. I apologize if my comment insulted Apple, you and/or your mother. I love Apple. :)

Last edited:

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
The only thing that they didn't mention was that the ad sucked and IMO didn't really help Samsung at all

Got any statistics to back that up other than your opinion?

Am I the only one around here with an unbias opinion of all phones? lol The Galaxy s4 is an incredible device, as is the HTC One. Apple has some huge ground to make up, and the name "Apple" isnt going to cut it anymore.

Jack97

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
yep, it was a tipping point indeed. When we all realised how annoying Samsung can be! :D

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
many paid fro monthly insurance and were passed back and forth between the carrier and Apple, neither taking responsibility. When carriers approved a replacement, Apple flat out refused. My brother being one example.

I tried to explain, moving would be more costly as purchased apps (and media?) would be unusable, and syncing difficult. Makes you realize how tied into Apple you become.

You should probably have explained to them that if they bought insurance through their carrier, it's the carrier that handles the replacement, not Apple. If they bought AppleCare, then Apple takes care of it.

If they had done the same thing with a Samsung GS4, Samsung would have told them to get lost, just like Apple did.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

Am I the only one around here with an unbias opinion of all phones? lol The Galaxy s4 is an incredible device, as is the HTC One. Apple has some huge ground to make up, and the name "Apple" isnt going to cut it anymore.

Do they though? Just because a company says they're better does not mean that reflects in sales. A small subset of nerds will buy the S4 because they're drooling over its innards. But the reality is that the iPhone 5 has officially beaten the crap out of the S4 sales wise, and we're about to get a refresh in less than a month.

This happens every year at this time where there has been a lull in new products from Apple. The tide is about to turn yet again.

Jack97

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
I find it amusing how samsung knocks the company from which 90% of their "ideas" come from...

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Am I the only one around here with an unbias opinion of all phones?

Yeah, you keep telling yourself about how unbiased you are. :rolleyes:

lol The Galaxy s4 is an incredible device, as is the HTC One. Apple has some huge ground to make up, and the name "Apple" isnt going to cut it anymore.

The GS4 is a great device and so is the HTC One. But they appeal to different tastes. And when you ask a fandroid specifically what Apple must do to get ahead, they just repeat what you just said. "Apple needs to innovate" doesn't cut it anymore, unless you specifically state what you feel is "innovation."

Diesel79

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
UK
The main reason I switched my phone and computer to Apple was their customer support. I have friends who have used iPhones and macs for a while and heard first hand just how good Apple's customer service is. I've now seen that myself & after my previous phone which was an S3, there's no way on Gods green earth I'd choose Samsung over Apple, I don't care if Samsung offered free lap dances for life with their devices. I've been very impressed with both Apple's products and their customers service, which, in my opinion is second to none.

Yes Samsung make some very impressive phones, but, They just flood their devices with endless gimmicks that hardly ever stick around. People keep bashing Apple for not keeping up with Samsung on the new features front. Well, for me Apple already have a great product in the iPhone and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Tsuius

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
GTA
Surprisingly, a good amount of friends and family are considering switching mobile platforms. Most cite Apple's lack of customer service... .

Apple's customer service is world class and there is no other company that comes close (same sung is far far behind).

ChristIsLORD

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
The CMO using "fanboy" is extremely unprofessional and almost demeaning. I expect that type of language from internet forums but not a professional.

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC

LOL Like anyone can be really unbiased on these comments section.

Apple's products are good. As long as they don't cave to public opinion (from "unbiased" Android "fanboys", or Apple "fans" alike), they'll keep being good for me.

Tsuius

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
GTA
All the same sung ads have done for me is turned me off from buying anything made by them (this includes buying for my IT department). It's one thing to make fun of a brand and another to make fun of its users.

logantyler

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
Most people use phones for Facebook, Twitter, messaging,the camera and Internet. The iPhone and Galaxy S4 can both do this. The average consumer can do all the things they need on both phones. Samsung just implements cheap gimmicks that no one needs, or rarely works, to make up for "innovation."

----------

All the same sung ads have done for me is turned me off from buying anything made by them (this includes buying for my IT department). It's one thing to make fun of a brand and another to make fun of its users.

You're quite right. Can these companies just acknowledge that some like apple products?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

My friends who have non-Apple phones are all Apple haters. They think that Apple is trying to take over the world, and it's awful to be stuck with them, and Apple is way behind in everything.

My friends who have Apple phones are mostly people who have come from the Android world, and didn't like it, are not biased, and chose Apple. There are a few Apple zealots too.

The Samsung S4 fans don't understand that size is not the be-all-end-all. I would be EMBARASSED to talk to someone holding up something the size of a paperback book to my ear, and I laugh to myself when I see some of these non-Apple phones that are huge. My main use for a phone is still using it as a phone, and use my iPad as a PDA. I don't want to use the same device for both - just like I'm not toasting bread in my oven. I have one device for toasting my bread (toaster), and another device for everything else.

I can completely understand Samsung S4 fans who use their phone for texting , tweeting, surfing... yes, the larger size is better. But I'm never on my phone for long periods of time doing that. When I'm out and about, my phone is in my pocket. I get the occasional text to look at, and call to receive or place, and the size is better being smaller. When I get to the office, I use my PC for internet things, and at home at night, I use my iPad for internet things. People are different in how they want to be connected. Apple is losing the war in some segments, but winning in others.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
many paid monthly insurance and were passed back and forth between the carrier and Apple, neither taking responsibility. When carriers approved a replacement, Apple flat out refused (Apple policy is pushing carriers to leave replacements for Apple retail, perhaps to better track devices).
What?

The iPhone comes with a one-year Apple hardware warranty. In addition, some carriers resell monthly insurance, on behalf of insurance companies like Asurion.

If your brother wanted a replacement from Apple, under Apple's one-year hardware warranty, the carrier has nothing to do with that process. Your brother calls AppleCare (to arrange a replacement via FedEx), or goes into an Apple Store (and gets a replacement at the Genius Bar). The carrier has absolutely no say-so in a matter involving Apple warranty.

If your brother wanted a replacement from his monthly warranty, Apple has nothing to do with that process. Once the insurance company approves his claim, it's up to the insurance company to provide the replacement. Not Apple.

Apple should never be involved with a claim involving a monthly-warranty company, and vice-versa, so how the heck is there a situation where "neither take responsibility"? :confused:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Nope, you're not. I've got an iPhone and a bunch of Android devices. I don't consider any of them to be 'the best'. The iPhones been pretty piss poor for the last couple of years, the only thing holding it together at the moment is the OS. The hardware really isn't all that great (although I do love the camera on the 4/5).

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Battle between Galaxy and iPhone is ON!

Battle between Galaxy and rest of Android world is over, and Samsung is undisputed champ!
Google, subsidiary of Samsung.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

The HTC One is an incredible device, the S4 is just another device imo.

I am unbiased but at the same time you have to look at the entire experience and not just the phone.

Apple has an eco system un matched by any other. I can give you a million advantages of this eco system but we all know about it already.

Customer service, no one can even touch them lol. I have gone into an apple store, walk out with a new phone.

My friend has an S3, walks into the new Samsung service center we have here. The wait time is 2-3 weeks to get your phone back and no loaner phone :p

I 1000% agree that add is what made Samsung though. And the fact that the S3 was the first real competitor to the iPhone.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
The main reason I switched my phone and computer to Apple was their customer support. I have friends who have used iPhones and macs for a while and heard first hand just how good Apple's customer service is. I've now seen that myself & after my previous phone which was an S3, there's no way on Gods green earth I'd choose Samsung over Apple, I don't care if Samsung offered free lap dances for life with their devices. I've been very impressed with both Apple's products and their customers service, which, in my opinion is second to none.

Yes Samsung make some very impressive phones, but, They just flood their devices with endless gimmicks that hardly ever stick around. People keep bashing Apple for not keeping up with Samsung on the new features front. Well, for me Apple already have a great product in the iPhone and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Wait... there is no need to bash strippers now! Come on, free for life? I can always carry a 2nd phone if that's the case lol. :)

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

Ya we know they have a BIG SCREEN. Wooooo! :eek:

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wow samsung has really come a long way. I remember when they used to make pirated SNES games back in the day. I think Samsung made more copies of Donkey Kong Country then Nintendo did.

But yeah, it's great that Apple has competition. But me personally I'm done with whole smart phone fad, yeah I still own one and use it all the time, but I really don't have excitement about a new one coming out. They are all pretty much the same now, just give me one with a battery that lasts longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.