Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
At this point the only thing keeping me from switching phones, is that I'd lose the ability to mirror my iTunes and iPhoto libraries. But even then there are bugs in iOS iTunes that haven't been fixed in years.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
This type of marketing generally doesn't work. Look how well it helped Cadillac when they would trash BMW, I mean common, these campaigns are cringe-worthy.

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
Got any statistics to back that up other than your opinion?

Am I the only one around here with an unbias opinion of all phones? lol The Galaxy s4 is an incredible device, as is the HTC One. Apple has some huge ground to make up, and the name "Apple" isnt going to cut it anymore.

Wow, we are asking for references for opinions now as that is what IMO stands for. IMO people need to step back and think for a minute before trying to one up people around here. The tone around here sure has changed a lot in the last 10 years....

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I gotta give Samsung credit. Remember when we all thought it would be Apple and 2 or 3 other companies that ruled the smartphone world? Everyone was betting on different companies, but the idea was that 2 or 3 would come out as the "Apple-alternatives" and there'd be this mix of choices out there.

Who could have guessed that a single company out of Korea would absolutely crush everyone else and turn themselves into the largest Android manufacturer by far? Android was supposed to be like Windows and help dozens of companies sell hardware. Who among us saw a single vender taking it and turning themselves into an Apple-like company above and beyond all the others?

Again, I gotta give them credit.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
From a recent story:
revenuepercountry.jpg

Notice that Apple's presence in Korea is almost nonexistent. Easy to take a "we're winning!" view when you're winning just one game, and ignore the fact you're getting trounced in most other games. Korean consumers are fiercely loyal to domestic products, hence Samsung's stronghold being reflected in Android app sales (with similar behavior in Japan, a strong Android showing as it's the only viable non-Apple alternative OS for domestic products).

Samsung may be selling well elsewhere, but not so much among those users who buy cumulatively significant quantities of apps.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Am I the only one around here with an unbias opinion of all phones? lol The Galaxy s4 is an incredible device, as is the HTC One. Apple has some huge ground to make up, and the name "Apple" isnt going to cut it anymore.

LOL, "Unbiased" opinion. You speak very highly of the GS4 and the HTC and talk down horribly about Apple. Yeah, very unbiased. ;)

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
All the same sung ads have done for me is turned me off from buying anything made by them (this includes buying for my IT department). It's one thing to make fun of a brand and another to make fun of its users.

I believe it's pronounced "Samsung".

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
The CMO using "fanboy" is extremely unprofessional and almost demeaning. I expect that type of language from internet forums but not a professional.

Agreed. These big companies looking to the comment section of Engadget and The Verge for their marketing ideas are just as out of touch with the mainstream as the kids who post there. The Samsung executive's statements are just more pandering to the groupthink in those places.

When that Windows commercial came out that showed a wedding with a fight between the Apple and Android sides, nerds on sites like this got a chuckle, but most "regular" people had no idea what the heck that commercial was referencing. To regular consumers, the idea that heated arguments would revolve around which religion, er, cell phone operating system one "believes in" is a ludicrous concept.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I gotta give Samsung credit. Remember when we all thought it would be Apple and 2 or 3 other companies that ruled the smartphone world? Everyone was betting on different companies, but the idea was that 2 or 3 would come out as the "Apple-alternatives" and there'd be this mix of choices out there.

Who could have guessed that a single company out of Korea would absolutely crush everyone else and turn themselves into the largest Android manufacturer by far? Android was supposed to be like Windows and help dozens of companies sell hardware. Who among us saw a single vender taking it and turning themselves into an Apple-like company above and beyond all the others?

Again, I gotta give them credit.

I don't think it's surprising at all. In fact, it would be odd to see MORE than 2 companies that could meaningfully differentiate themselves in a significant fashion. Look at AT&T vs. Verizon, VISA vs. MasterCard, Windows vs. OS X, or even Democrat vs. Republican. Sure, there's Sprint and Discover and Linux and the Green Party, but they're all either struggling for relevance or happily serving a niche.

What this boils down to is an accessible story. People want something to get behind, they want friends to do it with, and they want to feel validated. So you get duopolies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duopoly

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The only thing that they didn't mention was that the ad sucked and IMO didn't really help Samsung at all

I'm so glad we have an industry expert on MR. Ignore the article, newspaper and Samsung marketing guy who all claim the ad helped. CrazyForApple clearly knows what is really going on and obviously has some solid sources for his information.

If only all you other posters were as helpful. :D:p

Oct 24, 2012
I hated these ads because were cheap customer grabs and not meaningful in any way. I'd be embarrassed if my biggest successes were all traced back to the time I insulted potential customers and mislead the people I did lure with inaccurate product demonstrations. S Beam is frustratingly slow and the rest of the crapware on this phone is outclassed by 3rd party options. Unfortunately I don't have the storage space to install all of it.

I can appreciate the larger screen, but that wasn't enough to keep me from going back to my 4S while I wait for a new iPhone. My pockets are a bit more comfortable, too. I'm sorry that I wear skinny jeans.

Edit: I owe a bit more explanation. For the most part, I enjoy android. I got this phone as a second line for my freelance gig. I was definitely impressed by the One and am now by the Moto X. I just realized after a few months of having a 4S and also S4 that I only need one phone. And that phone should be the most reliable one that I can have serviced as efficiently as possible. Furthermore, I've spent $100's on iTunes.

Last edited:

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I realize the Mac vs. PC ads were probably the closest thing to Apple mocking another company, and even then it wasn't a single hardware manufacturer, i.e. Dell, HP - although you could say it was a hit on Microsoft.

Even then, it says a lot when the best marketing move that Samsung, Microsoft, Nokia etc. can make is to create an anti-Apple ad for its phones and tablets.

To the best of my knowledge, Apple's never made an "anti- ad" to promote the iPhone or iPad.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
One thing I see in the Exec's claims is the word "fanboy". Anyone using that word in an argument can be categorized as unintelligent. Why? If you have a nice argument that you know is sound and logical which people can easily gather behind, then why use a slur word to strengthen it?

No need. Using fanboy just denotes the fact that Samsung doesn't feel good enough about themselves and resort to name calling and internet slurs to try and beat out the competition.

That being said, the SG4 is a good device, but not better than the HTC One.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007

First of all, the word you're looking for is "unbiased", not "unbias."

More importantly, "you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it does.":rolleyes:

dbyway

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
Utah
I have had the iPhone 4, 4S and 5. I've made apps for the App store, own Macs, had just about any Apple product you can think of. Yeah I'm a fan... but not a fanboy. That said, I switched to the Galaxy S4 last week. I LOVE IT. I'm not a fanboy of either but with extensive use of both... I think the S4 takes the title IMO.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I'd be embarrassed if my biggest successes were all traced back to the time I insulted potential customers and mislead the people I did lure with inaccurate product demonstrations.

+1

You wonder if they thought they could convert Apple users by insulting them, or if they were just intimidating new customers to go/stay with Samsung. Either way, its negative. It may work, but it's negative, and that has its own ripple effect in the market.

----------

I have had the iPhone 4, 4S and 5. I've made apps for the App store, own Macs, had just about any Apple product you can think of. Yeah I'm a fan... but not a fanboy. That said, I switched to the Galaxy S4 last week. I LOVE IT. I'm not a fanboy of either but with extensive use of both... I think the S4 takes the title IMO.

Out of curiosity what Apple products do you currently own (use) besides in your sig? I'm surmising about the whole Apple ecosystem thing.

Diesel79

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
UK
I wonder when Samsung are going to develop their own OS to rival IOS, Oh wait! What about Bada ;)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I realize the Mac vs. PC ads were probably the closest thing to Apple mocking another company, and even then it wasn't a single hardware manufacturer, i.e. Dell, HP - although you could say it was a hit on Microsoft.

Even then, it says a lot when the best marketing move that Samsung, Microsoft, Nokia etc. can make is to create an anti-Apple ad for its phones and tablets.

To the best of my knowledge, Apple's never made an "anti- ad" to promote the iPhone or iPad.

And mocking a company is very different from mocking customers. Samsung's ads were the most off-putting ads I've ever seen.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
If you like Samsung, you're a "Samsung fan."

If you like anything else (and by anything else we mean Apple, because evidently no other platforms or vendors exist). you're just a fanboy. You're also wrong.

Bingo. If Samsung Executive Arno Lenior had used language like that in MR discussions, he would have earned a time-out from the moderators. :D

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
Android has nothing like iTunes, period. Compare all of the syncing, music, movie, etc... software for Android and you don't have one singular piece of software that can purchase almost all of your media, sync it via cable and wifi, store backups of all phone data, and airplay it to any airplay device.

You also have software like iPhoto, all i have to do is plug in my phone and it opens showing all of my photos on my phone and asks me which ones i want to import. It's as simple as that.

The point i'm trying to make isn't that the iPhone is the best phone, but that it's not the iPhones hardware or singular features that make it great. What makes the iPhone great is the hardware / software integration with it and other devices (mostly apple devices) that make the entire experience simple and easy to use. Thats why i moved from android to iPhone in the first place.

Android has come a long way, but for me it is not at the same level yet. They are trying, especially with chrome cast, but it isn't there yet.

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
Love how he called Apple users "fanboys" and called Samsung users "Samsung fans."

Real classy, you supposed professional.

How about "Apple fans."

I also find Samsungs ads incredibly offensive. They make iPhone users look stupid. I went to Northwestern University for 4 years. I'm anything but stupid.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Surprisingly, a good amount of friends and family are considering switching mobile platforms. Most cite Apple's lack of customer service with their devices; not "entitlement", many paid monthly insurance and were passed back and forth between the carrier and Apple, neither taking responsibility. When carriers approved a replacement, Apple flat out refused (Apple policy is pushing carriers to leave replacements for Apple retail, perhaps to better track devices). My brother being one example.

I tried to explain, moving would be more costly as purchased apps (and media?) would be unusable, and syncing difficult. Makes you realize how tied into Apple you become.

Totally different experience here... no insurance... I soaked my iPhone 5 in the ocean... my fault... my responsibility. Called AT&T... they asked questions, told me about Apple's "out of warrantee" replacement program... Connected me directly to an Apple rep who then made arrangements to get me a replacement for $230. Half of he cost of a new phone replacement.

Until this point, I was looking at a full cost replacement with a new 2year contract for about $500... so... from my perspective... AT&T and Apple worked flawlessly and saved me $250. And... given I could go to an Apple store, I got the replacement that day.

This is what happens with no insurance.

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
Samsung became successful because with the help of Google it thoroughly copied Apple's iPhone design and selling it cheaper. In other words Samsung is a thief.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.