Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diesel79

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
UK
Totally different experience here... no insurance... I soaked my iPhone 5 in the ocean... my fault... my responsibility. Called AT&T... they asked questions, told me about Apple's "out of warrantee" replacement program... Connected me directly to an Apple rep who then made arrangements to get me a replacement for $230. Half of he cost of a new phone replacement.

Until this point, I was looking at a full cost replacement with a new 2year contract for about $500... so... from my perspective... AT&T and Apple worked flawlessly and saved me $250. And... given I could go to an Apple store, I got the replacement that day.

This is what happens with no insurance.

Same thing happend to my brother. He knocked a bottle of coke over his iPhone, no insurance and the phone was out of warranty. Apple replaced it for £120.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The main reason I switched my phone and computer to Apple was their customer support. I have friends who have used iPhones and macs for a while and heard first hand just how good Apple's customer service is. I've now seen that myself & after my previous phone which was an S3, there's no way on Gods green earth I'd choose Samsung over Apple, I don't care if Samsung offered free lap dances for life with their devices.

My wife fully agrees with you :D

----------

You wonder if they thought they could convert Apple users by insulting them, or if they were just intimidating new customers to go/stay with Samsung.

Intimidating is how Samsung works in South Korea. You wouldn't dare criticising them in South Korea, or risk seeing your career going downhill.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
You should probably have explained to them that if they bought insurance through their carrier, it's the carrier that handles the replacement, not Apple. If they bought AppleCare, then Apple takes care of it.

If they had done the same thing with a Samsung GS4, Samsung would have told them to get lost, just like Apple did.

I did, just that. For some reason Sprint stated otherwise, made no sense to me.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple should never be involved with a claim involving a monthly-warranty company, and vice-versa, so how the heck is there a situation where "neither take responsibility"? :confused:

If he paid monthly insurance, and dropped his phone into the toilet, Apple would quite rightfully refuse to repair it. The insurance company _should_ pay, but that doesn't mean they will.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Totally different experience here... no insurance... I soaked my iPhone 5 in the ocean... my fault... my responsibility. Called AT&T... they asked questions, told me about Apple's "out of warrantee" replacement program... Connected me directly to an Apple rep who then made arrangements to get me a replacement for $230. Half of he cost of a new phone replacement.

Until this point, I was looking at a full cost replacement with a new 2year contract for about $500... so... from my perspective... AT&T and Apple worked flawlessly and saved me $250. And... given I could go to an Apple store, I got the replacement that day.

This is what happens with no insurance.

I've had nothing but great experiences with my iPhones, I've been lucky. Of course it doesn't hurt having worked for the company with connections, but they were never involved.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
BTW... I found the ads to be annoying... but, they we're affective I think in getting Samsung to the top spot they're in now. Not only against the iPhone, but against other Droid phones.

Personally... I won't change from my iPhone for what they've shown. Not worth the hassle of starting from scratch... plus... the iPhone does more than what I need, so why change?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the long run when Samsung runs out of useful features and just is cluttering their phones with gimmicks. Which, from what I've seen is already the case with some of their "big features". I think the only real advantage they have now is screen size choice over an iPhone... but not over other Android phones... so... what's next? I guess we'll see soon... the model of the month should be coming out soon.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The ad basically says samsung is great and Apple is bad.

People hear blah blah blah samsung blah blah Apple.
And they are like oohhh Apple that's the iPhone right, etc etc.

So really they are in a reverse way advertising Apple too. As the saying goes, all news is good news.

samsung need to say nothing about Apple at all.

Jaredly

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
I don't think it's surprising at all. In fact, it would be odd to see MORE than 2 companies that could meaningfully differentiate themselves in a significant fashion. Look at AT&T vs. Verizon, VISA vs. MasterCard, Windows vs. OS X, or even Democrat vs. Republican. Sure, there's Sprint and Discover and Linux and the Green Party, but they're all either struggling for relevance or happily serving a niche.

What this boils down to is an accessible story. People want something to get behind, they want friends to do it with, and they want to feel validated. So you get duopolies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duopoly

He was saying that it's surprising that Samsung came out as the one dominant android phone. Take windows for instance, there was no one leader in windows computer.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I thought the commercials were brilliant, funny and witty. And I live in the apple ecosystem. Why did you think the ads sucked?
Most likely they were making fun of Apple and not Apple making fun of PC. You know it is a sin to bad mouth Apple in any way.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
The negative ad technique has really worked out well for Microsoft RT too....

Good luck Samesung.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Bingo. If Samsung Executive Arno Lenior had used language like that in MR discussions, he would have earned a time-out from the moderators. :D
Are we thinking of the same MR? If anything, people who objected to it would get a "warning" for calling them out on it. I speak from experience. This place has become a haven for paid shills promoting Android.

I have given up on contributing any knowledge on here because of it. I work in software development on windows but I'm also a registered iOS developer working on some interesting projects. But again, I have been abused by moderators here to the point that I stopped caring enough to contribute ideas and help out others here. It is not friendly to mac and iOS users anymore.

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
All the same sung ads have done for me is turned me off from buying anything made by them (this includes buying for my IT department). It's one thing to make fun of a brand and another to make fun of its users.

Seriously. It's not the best move to poke fun at the users you want to switch to your platform. That's one of the things I disliked about those ads. I popped over to the comments to see if I was the only one or not. Good to see it's not just me.

AppleVsAndroid

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2012
Negative ads do work because more than 50% of the herd is not that intelligent to decide what to buy. They buy things which are cheap and looks superior to their rivals no matter that don't work in reality. Its all about making themselves feel good and smart lol
Also bigger screen iPhone IF it comes will get back those buyers which switched to samsung only for the reason of big screen. Finally Apple wins, yes because I say so :p

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Yes Samsung make some very impressive phones, but, They just flood their devices with endless gimmicks that hardly ever stick around. People keep bashing Apple for not keeping up with Samsung on the new features front. Well, for me Apple already have a great product in the iPhone and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

This, this right here. Apple puts a bit more thought into the features they add rather than just tossing useless features in (I feel this way about their computers especially. They're kept clean and simple, to the basics of what I really need. They're not bloated with tons of junk). I have a few friends that like to tout all the latest and greatest features, but most of them are... meh, whatever. Realistically, my phone does everything it is suppose to, especially the being a phone part.

Though, I will admit, there are some upcoming technologies I'd like to see put into the phone. It's at a point though where that tech isn't widespread yet, so it doesn't bother me that they leave it out. They may not always be leading the charge, but they're also not weighting us down with useless stuff.

On the flip side of all this, I do think Apple needs to bring a little bang into their next iteration. It has felt a bit like a slow and steady pace, a good one albeit, but still. However, that slow and steady pace doesn't scare me away. At the core of it all, I have what I need/want out of a phone.

----------

Customer service, no one can even touch them lol. I have gone into an apple store, walk out with a new phone.

It shocked me the first time this happened to me. I loved it, it was great. I'm not a big fan of dealing with customer service or going into the Apple store because of the people, the crowds. They got me in and out though and respected my level of knowledge with technology, so didn't feel like I was being talked down to.

My dealings with other companies, to get any sort of reasonable customer service, usually came down to making a big deal on their Facebook page before they'd actually give me some real customer service. Even then, it was spotty.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
I wonder when Samsung are going to develop their own OS to rival IOS, Oh wait! What about Bada ;)

Fascinating. I hadn't heard about Bada (which seems to have died on 25 February 2013) or its slipping successor Tizen. Do any Samsung fans (or anyone else) think this will ever amount to anything?

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Got any statistics to back that up other than your opinion?

Am I the only one around here with an unbias opinion of all phones? lol The Galaxy s4 is an incredible device, as is the HTC One. Apple has some huge ground to make up, and the name "Apple" isnt going to cut it anymore.

No, but perhaps you are the only one with an unbias opinion of how unbias you are. You pacifically site the S4 and the HTC One. Your pitcher should be in the Hall of Fame. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.