Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8, and 6.3?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ChrisTX, Apr 6, 2013.

1. macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

2. macrumors 603

nfl46

So I guess the Note 3 won't be 5.8" then, unless the Mega is going to eventually replace the Note. That is just ridiculous for a phone size though. I think the Note 2 screen size is already pushing the limits. A 6.3" phone? WTF. That is just plain ridiculous for a phone.

3. thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

There was an official Samsung made game pad that states it supports devices up to 6.3" which is odd considering there are no devices in Samsungs lineup that are of that size. I agree that 6.3" might be TOO BIG, but I know I'll end up buying one anyway lol. :D

4. macrumors regular

Has anyone ever thought that these may be galaxy players in a bigger size?

5. thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

That could be a possibility, but it seems unlikely. However, I find it hard to believe that Samsung would release these 2 phones, and then a Note 3 later on.

6. macrumors demi-god

Truefan31

I'm getting the 6.3 inch if its a bigger note 2. Be my personal tablet on the go

7. macrumors 68040

F123D

The S4 is 5" and hoping the Note III is 5.8" and the Mega is 6.3".

8. macrumors regular

9. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

Why? They offer plenty of different sizes, what's wrong with offering larger options that consumers are clearly demanding? I agree that it is large for a phone, but remember these aren't just phones anymore, they're becoming tablet replacements. 5.8" and 6.3" are small for a tablet, making them portable tablets that can make phone calls.

10. macrumors 65816

fr4c

And here I thought that my Note II was already ridiculous looking next to my face on a phone call...

11. macrumors regular

a phone is a phone, a tablet is a tablet. Its clear that some people want these huge devices to carry around, I myself do not, thats all. :apple:

12. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

Well, a phone isn't exactly a phone any more. Take a look at all the things an iPhone can do if you remove the SIM. This distinction will quickly fade and already has started to. Giving them a bigger screen doesn't make them one or the other, because there is no line in the sand as to where phones end and tablets start, especially with these larger Galaxy devices and upcoming Galaxy Mega.

13. macrumors 68010

The size of newer S4 is smaller than the size of old s3 which houses a smaller screen too.

Crazy, I agree.

However, I think I'll be fine with that as the s3 is what I consider to be borderline portable for me.

14. macrumors 68040

F123D

Maybe if it was 1998.

It's 2013. A phone is not just a phone.

15. macrumors regular

I thought this thread was about the so called "mega"? Not the S4.

----------

Way to pick and choose what you want from what I posted. :D

16. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I agree it is nice to have choices. But I'm with Hail Caesar and won't be buying one.

17. macrumors G4

daneoni

18. macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Comes down to the individuals usage patterns; for some folks it would be a case of why not

Single sim contract without need for any premium to tether (versus a tablet tethered to a phone, or a second sim for the tablet itself)

One less device to keep charged.

One less device to carry around.

Granted not going to be all that useful if you want to hold it up to the side of your head while on a call, but for those who seem to have been born with a bluetooth earpiece permanently plugged in their ear that's not an issue either.

19. macrumors 68000

nick_elt

they are official. might mean the note 3 stays at 5.55" which will be a good thing. The megas aren't as high spec as the note line so no it won't be replaced.

----------

this is not a note and the note is higher spec so no chance in hell they will get rid of the highly popular note

20. macrumors regular

holding out for the Mega II, which might have a 10 inch screen.

21. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

wow, it makes the note 2 look small in those photos.

22. macrumors 68000

adder7712

Based on the specs, they are not by any means flagship devices.

Why? Dual-core CPU and 720p and qHD screens for a 2013 device.

23. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Just to recap....they have a 4.8" GS3, a 4.9" GS4, a 5.5" GN2, a 5.8" GM, a 6.3" GM, a 7" Galaxy Tab, and a 8" Galaxy Note.

At this point Samsung's biggest competition in the Android market is themselves. Going to be a lot of sales cannibalization going on here.

24. thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Agreed, at the time of my original post though I didn't know theses were going to be mid range. CTIA will provide a Note 3 launch though.

25. macrumors 65816

JediZenMaster

I think if it gets any bigger its going to border on foolishness.