Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Reviews have come out. Display and the form factor has been praised. Also the benchmark scores are among the top. Quite light compared to ipad 4.

I think this will be the tablet i was yearning for - Expandable storage, great screen plus android's mouse cursor support will turn this into a laptop when needed :D

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7378/samsung-galaxy-note-101-2014-edition-review

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-101-2014-edition-review

http://gigaom.com/2013/10/01/samsun...a-premium-android-tablet-for-a-premium-price/

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Big reason I would consider this is due to the 3B of ram, S pen features which I love on the note 3, amazing screen and extra storage which I think is one of the most important things on a tablet.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Reviews have come out. Display and the form factor has been praised. Also the benchmark scores are among the top. Quite light compared to ipad 4.

I think this will be the tablet i was yearning for - Expandable storage, great screen plus android's mouse cursor support will turn this into a laptop when needed :D

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7378/samsung-galaxy-note-101-2014-edition-review

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-101-2014-edition-review

http://gigaom.com/2013/10/01/samsun...a-premium-android-tablet-for-a-premium-price/

Yet both the Engadget and Verge reviews are very unfavorable--terrible lag in both navigating the OS and gaming performance, and subpar battery life. Watch the Verge's video review--the lag is awful.

I generally find AnandTech's reviews to be the most thorough but a quick glance of their Note 10.1 review shows tons of data regarding benchmarks and very little, if any discussion of real world use and performance.

I'm really a bit bummed because I was very much looking forward to trying the Note 10.1--and that's saying a lot considering my general distaste for Samsung's mobile devices.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Awesome tablet. unfortunately, it's not in the budget. For now, my Note 8 will do (also, an awesome tablet). The big benefit of the smaller tablet is that you can use it write while holding it in one hand. Not so easy to do with the 10.1. Still, the 10.1 would be very nice to have.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Wow just read the engadget and verge review. Very negative reviews. This seems to be interesting. I think i will wait for user reviews to come out and how it behaves post rooting/flashing new roms.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Didn't see the reviews. However, I have diagreed with The Verge and Engadget reviews many times. Someday, in the future, I will need a hands on.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sometimes reviews can be biased

Hands on is always the best view.
It looks a great device and not sure whether to wait for the 12.2..or get this.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Me personally my tablet usage is for more media than current apps like games so having that extra storage means more and having a great display. I currently have an ipad 2 and note 8.0 so don't have an amazing screen for my tablet..so would be nice to have. having those note 3 features with scrapbook e.t.c will be nice. wonder though if those features will sync from note 3 to the 10.1?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Keep in mind that the original note 10.1 rated bad on the websites as well but scored very favorably in customer satisfaction.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Worth noting from this review, if their info is accurate, is that they reviewed a model with the Snapdragon 800 CPU. My understanding was that only the LTE models will be equipped with the Snapdragon and when examining the hardware, I didn't see a slot for a sim card, nor did they make any mention of it, so I'm a bit skeptical in the accuracy of this statement. If it was in fact a Snapdragon equipped model, could be good news in that the reviewer mentioned seeing only rare lag/studders if at all, and subtle ones at that.

All of the reviews that perceived significant lag were testing the Exynos models.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Worth noting from this review, if their info is accurate, is that they reviewed a model with the Snapdragon 800 CPU. My understanding was that only the LTE models will be equipped with the Snapdragon and when examining the hardware, I didn't see a slot for a sim card, nor did they make any mention of it, so I'm a bit skeptical in the accuracy of this statement. If it was in fact a Snapdragon equipped model, could be good news in that the reviewer mentioned seeing only rare lag/studders if at all, and subtle ones at that.

All of the reviews that perceived significant lag were testing the Exynos models.

Thought getting the 800 depended on where you are like the note 3?

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010

All US Note 3s are SD800 since every phone has LTE. Not all tablets have LTE so those get Exynos. This lag people are seeing may be the GPU paired with the Exynos instead. The Adreno 330 is a great performer. Might just get the LTE version for this. Too bad it's going to be very expensive!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

The Exynos doesn't play nice with LTE, and thus the need for the Snapdragon 800 in US cellular devices. Samsung detailed at IFA that WiFi only models of the Note 10.1 would use the Exynos while models with LTE connectivity would use the Snapdragon 800.

Every review I've seen was of the Exynos, which makes sense considering the release of the LTE models hasn't been announced yet, and thus why I doubt that reviewer was actually using a model equipped with the Snapdragon CPU.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
The Snapdragon 800 is only present in the LTE Note 10.1. The WiFi only and 3G models come with the Exynos chipset.

I believe the Exynos 5420 has a beastly GPU, ARM Mali-T628 MP6 is slightly ahead of the Adreno 330 in benchmarks.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The Exynos doesn't play nice with LTE, and thus the need for the Snapdragon 800 in US cellular devices. Samsung detailed at IFA that WiFi only models of the Note 10.1 would use the Exynos while models with LTE connectivity would use the Snapdragon 800.

Every review I've seen was of the Exynos, which makes sense considering the release of the LTE models hasn't been announced yet, and thus why I doubt that reviewer was actually using a model equipped with the Snapdragon CPU.

Yeah that woukld make more sense I agree. It does look pretty quick. Screen looks great.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I have the Note II and love the Note III, but still under contract. I found the Galaxy Note 10.1 to be the best alternative. The 10.1 provides almost all the software features the Note III has with the exception of battery replacement and phone/text capabilities. Other then that, i found that the Note 10.1 is a better productivity tool then the Apple iPad or any other tablet.

jkbatca

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
I will eventually be getting one...

... for the display + S Pen (hopefully drawing / painting apps will follow, else I'll have to attempt to write one myself)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.