Samsung Galaxy S III Estimated to Top iPhone 4S in 3Q 2012 Worldwide Shipments

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Research firm Strategy Analytics today released a report estimating that Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone overtook the iPhone 4S for the top spot in global shipments.
    [​IMG]
    Apple observers will of course be quick to note that the iPhone 4S saw waning sales during the third quarter leading into and following the launch of the iPhone 5, while the Galaxy S III is still riding relatively high as Samsung's flagship Android device since its launch in May of this year. Strategy Analytics also estimates that Samsung's position at the top will be short-lived, with the iPhone 5 expected to take back the crown for the current quarter.
    Canaccord Genuity analyst Michael Walkley had previously reported that the Galaxy S III overtook the iPhone 4S in sales at major U.S. carriers back in August.

Article Link: Samsung Galaxy S III Estimated to Top iPhone 4S in 3Q 2012 Worldwide Shipments

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was wondering when this would show up on MacRumors.

3. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

The iPhone 5 is the flagship iPhone. Thats what counts.

4. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

Wow a new phone beats an old phone? Amazing.

5. macrumors regular

SHIPMENTS not sales...

6. macrumors 68000

nick_elt

Theres so many different angles to view this news. fanboys from both sides would love to have their say. Grabbing the popcorn...

----------

you could say the note 2 is the top samsung too... (i realise its prob not as popular tho)

year over year sales would show a much better picture

7. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I don't care how many they ship/sell. As long as Apple keeps making products I love, I'll continue to buy.

8. macrumors regular

Add it up

So...
    But if you add the iPhone 5 + the 4s, you get higher sales.

So the iPhone shipments are still higher.
    Basically all this shows is that people stopped buying the 4s after the 5 was announced.

Not very interesting at all.

9. macrumors 603

Oletros

I will enjoy the battle while sipping a Westmalle

10. macrumors 6502

And the fact is the s111... Is a nice phone

11. macrumors 68000

I know 3 or 4 people who have gotten the 4S in the last couple weeks. Why wouldn't you get the 5? they are scared of the $199 price but they don't realize you're paying that over the life of the contract, so it's really only about 7.50/month!

12. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Okay, marked as read.

* Moves on to another article *

Long version: I seriously don't care about the number of phones Samsung has shipped.

13. macrumors 6502a

chagla

right because retailers seem to love stockpiling units of unsold S3 on their shelves.

it's probably a strange fetish. :rolleyes:

14. macrumors 603

jrswizzle

The numbers I find interesting are the GS3's Q2 shipments vs. the iP5's Q3 numbers....

The GS3 was on the market for about 1 month (May 29 - June 30) of Q2 and sold/shipped 5.4 million units.

The iP5 was on the market for just over 1 week (September 21 - September 30) of Q3 and sold/shipped 6.0 million units.

15. macrumors 68000

nick_elt

considering the competition in the android market, they are truely remarkable numbers which ever way you look at it

16. macrumors 6502

If you're going to count the iPhone 4s and 5 as the flagship phone sales, then you must count the Galaxy Note II as well. Before the iPhone 5s comes out, Samsung will have sold several million of Galaxy S4 in the 2nd quarter of 2013.

17. macrumors member

But if you add the Note II sales to the GSIII sales you get higher sales.

:)

18. macrumors regular

Lordskelic

Saying this on these forums is really dangerous...but I honestly think the Galaxy S III is a really good phone, but I'm not saying I like Samsung. I hate their tactics and advertisements.

19. JAT
    macrumors 603

Red graphics? Really?

20. macrumors 68030

phpmaven

No Surprise. It's a great device.

21. macrumors 68000

Hope so. The S3 will be 96¢ on black Friday. Its going to sell even more while Apple struggles with foxconn's incompetence.

22. macrumors member

Using the (flawed) Apple-haters' logic, all these people flocking to the Samsung Galaxy S III are one or more of the following:
    • Sheeple;
    • Drones;
    • Stupid people easily fooled by marketing;
    • Kool-Aid drinkers.

23. macrumors member

There are more interesting numbers :)

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/09/24iPhone-5-First-Weekend-Sales-Top-Five-Million.html

So, more than 5 million was sold in just 3 days (21-24 September) and less than 1 million for the remaining 6 days (25-31 September).:eek:

24. macrumors 603

jrswizzle

25. macrumors 6502

If the S3 was a 4'' phone and not a huge brick I would of been all over it. I know they are making a smaller one, but with also watered down features so I don't count that one

I want the S3 as it stands in a 4'' form factor. I don't like big phones. I would of gotten the S3 over the iPhone 5 for sure.