Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Was there an application of a fingerprint sensor in the home button before?
I understand the debate on software patents but isn`t this a clear copying?

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
"the Galaxy S5 will adopt Apple's model..."

Yea, ADAPT it...by stealing it outright. Jeeze la-weeze...

ElZamo92

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
That is what they always do

Samsung just keeps copying Apple in every posible way: They now have Samsung stores that look just like Apple Stores, their laptops are made of aluminum and have black keyboards and have gesture capable track pads, now this. That is just them praising Apple's decisions and design, and acknowledging that they can't come up with something different.

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
Whether they copy or not the real question is in the implementation. If they do this wrong and peoples fingerprint scans get out it could be a disaster.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
"Look, our home button sensor is not round circle, but a rectangular - you can't say that's copy!" - anyway, it doesn't take much time before they realized what's the next big thing... :)

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Apple clearly didn't invent fingerprint recognition. However, this still seems like another "Apple does something so Samsung follows suit in their next model" kind of thing.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Once again, an Apple competitor innovates while Apple…wait, wut?

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
It could actually work pretty nicely that way if you slid your finger from left to right, in the same motion to unlock your phone. So basically you go to swipe the words "Swipe to Unlock" and it scans your fingerprint too. Let's wait and see what they actually do before we all say its a gimmick like most Samsung features. :D

Not how it works. The point of the swipe is so that the sensor can capture the entire surface of your finger. Meaning you have to swipe from top to bottom. And you have to keep your finger perfectly flat. And you have to make sure to not swipe too fast or too slow, but just perfect.

Sounds exactly like the me-too wannabe technology Samsung would adopt to mimic an Apple innovation.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
I hear that Samsung decided to change the name to "5S" from "S5" and add a new "uCloud Keychain" , after further consideration, too.

Nieval

Suspended
Mar 13, 2008
Let's be honest, this "copying" issue is besides the point, it's the execution that really matters and, given what we've seen from Samsung before, I doubt it'll be as slick as TouchID.

The functionality aspect isn't new either, I may be wrong, but most of the things Samsung plans to use this technology for are available on jailbreaking, which says to me that Apple are well aware of the avenues TouchID opens.

Edit: I must be a slow typer, as SvP and Taz Mangus beat me to my point..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.