Samsung gearing up to take on Apple?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MorganX, Feb 6, 2004.

1. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

All of a sudden Samsung is churning out MP3 players, PMCs and PVPs in droves. Looks like they're lining up to take on Apple on all fronts. They're really putting a lot in this...

The last pic is their 4GB mini. I like the black High capacity player, too bad it won't work with iTunes. iTunes software is definitey going to save Apple a few lost sales.

Attached Files:

2. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Hmm... I can't say I've ever owned a Samsung product I wasn't happy with.

Should be interesting.

3. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

you must have never owned a samsung PCS phone... they are such amazing pieces of crap i would never buy anything that says samsung on it...

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, Samsung beat Sony to the punch for once.

As far as consumer devices go, Samsung generally seems to try and ape Sony in their styling and branding, although they're really more of a Hitachi-style build-everything conglomerate. But, since Sony completely missed the boat on the digital portable player (yeah, they've got the MD, but that's really pretty sad compared to an iPod), I guess Samsung is sort of like the only "Sony" in that space (though of course they, like everybody else, are trying to catch the iPod).

Creative styling, but I can't say I like the look of any of those players, and I'm not sure how much I'd trust Samsung in terms of quality, either. Although I did really like their Spinpoint hard drives for a while--dirt cheap and the quietest thing on the market. Their HD division doesn't seem to be doing much these days, though.

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i have a samsung a460 phone and i am very pleased with it. i had a problem with the screen on one, but i just got it replaced. no big deal.

on topic, i think this is interesting, but apple really does have the market sinched right now. it is going to be hard for new players to enter and be successful in the iPod dominated area.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well I own a Samsung Yepp, but it's a flash based media player so it should prove interesting to whether this lineup can compete with the iPod.

7. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Ahh well, I've never owned a Samsung phone, but all their audio/video equipment has been top notch. :)

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I know that Samsung LCDs are used in Powerbooks ;P

9. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Samsungs are good stuff. i had their very first Yepp mini player for b'day couple of years ago and it was very nice. the new ones are pretty cool too. and that middle one up there looks pretty nice. :)

10. IamPaulinNYC macrumors newbie

Two Samsung Phones and LOVED 'em BOTH

I'm on my second Samsung PDA/Phone (now the i500, formerly the i300) - and they have both been superb phones in every possible way (and no, I don't own stock in Samsung). Based on my experience with the phones, I'd consider any other Samsung product EXCEPT an MP3 player. The Apple 15 gig iPod I have is everything one would hope for in a player - brilliant design, a joy to use ... as is iTunes.

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Every Samsung I have ever used has been great...except for my A500 Spring PCS phone, the thing is seriously the most miserable excuse for a reliable cell phone I have ever had the misfortune of using. I was stuck with it as a free swap when my LG 5350's desktop charger crapped out and since it was discontinued, the A500 was the only "next step" phone they had that was in the same price point as mine was.

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I own a Samsung s105 and its my favorite cell phone in the world.

13. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

id agree samsung makes the best phones. i got a S200.

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I've been EXTREMELY happy with our Samsung DLP television. It is excellent.

15. Frisco macrumors 68020

I am happy with my Samsung phone---now the Sprint PCS service I have is another story :eek:

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I should hope you are, with the prices those things go for these days it better be good! :)

17. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My Samsung HDtv is really nice, too. I bought it shortly after I bought my Xbox so I could get the HDtv AV box and see what it could do and I have yet to ever regret it.

18. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I also use a s105 I love it as well I broke the screen on the front and I called them and they sent me a new one and asked for the old one and never carged me for it. I also have a Samsung TV and DVD player and am very happy with them.