Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ALR26

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
Hasn't anyone told Samsung that size and adding the word pro doesn't make an inferior product become a professional product?! While it might have decent tech specks for an android table, there won't be many apps that are actually capable of making this a professionally useable tablet. This is where Apple differs in actual professional usability. As an A/V tech there are far more uses and compatibility with professional gear and iOS. Pro gear manufactures don't make products for Android tablet because they are so fragmented and have vastly different physical connections and operating systems/versions. Current iPad/iPhone: one stable, usable platform, one OS, one connector. That's what professional developers consider a Pro tablet platform.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Apple really has to start leaking all kinds of ridiculous product ideas to see all the crap Samsung puts out trying to beat them to market with. :)

(FYI, I'd never buy a 13 inch iPad)

(FYI 2, I'd consider the iPad Mini if it had full phone capabilities).

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lots of negative comments here and criticisms. While Samsung is guilty of copying Apple in the beginning, they are beginning to diverge and create products ahead of Apple. The 4-app ability to multitask is actually amazing, and the one-app-at-a-time approach of the current iOS will feel dated and too limiting once multiple apps at once become the norm. Windows has it. Samsung has it. I'm sorry, but this is leaving iOS is the dust in that one area. I'd love to be able to interact with a website while in a FaceTime video call at the same time (and still see the other person).

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Dude. My phone can be a mother****ing TV remote.

I don't know why anyone would buy an iPhone when you can get the clearly superior Samsung™ Galaxy® 4G LTE™ Snapdragon™ NFC© Quad-Core® PenTile™ 128 GB, now with TV Remote Plus.™

Oh hey! My phone can do that too! And let me check… yup. Still an iPhone.

Also, I'm pretty sure that quad-corei isn’t a restricted trade-mark. I guess I’ll have to check on that...

Last edited:

poppasketti

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2011
Wish I could say the same. Our Samsung TV is about 3 years old now and while it's a decent TV it executes random commands as if the remote was sending signals.

Sounds like your tv has become self-aware. Might want to pull the plug on that one. My Sammy went self-aware a few years back, killed three people. I only go with panasonics now.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm curious how many people can actually focus on four things at once.

JazzCollector

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
This just seems to be standard diversification of a product that is hitting maturity. There is nothing extraordinary with this update and nothing unexpected. It will fill a small niche in the market, that's all.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Lots of negative comments here and criticisms. While Samsung is guilty of copying Apple in the beginning, they are beginning to diverge and create products ahead of Apple. The 4-app ability to multitask is actually amazing, and the one-app-at-a-time approach of the current iOS will feel dated and too limiting once multiple apps at once become the norm. Windows has it. Samsung has it. I'm sorry, but this is leaving iOS is the dust in that one area. I'd love to be able to interact with a website while in a FaceTime video call at the same time (and still see the other person).

No matter what Samsung does the people here will not acknowledge it; this is an Apple site. Samsung is just relentless when it comes to product releases. While some products are clear duds you got to give it to Samsung for being so aggressive. It will take about 2 more smart watches for them to get it right but at least they don’t give up.
Anybody remember the very first tablet Samsung came out with and what Steve Jobs said about it? Now look.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I am actually glad to see this I would kill for an larger iPad. Hopefully this indirectly verifies it's coming.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Size Wars

Welcome to the age of the size wars, where you are only king if your unit is bigger then the other guy's.

Guess Apple will be making a 13" unit now, but by the time they announce it, Samsung will offer a 14 incher.

Of course Dell has had an 18" inch tablet on the market for a year now, but as many people say its not the size that matters but how it is used and Dell runs Windows on their massive unit so nobody actually wants to play with it.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Listen to some of you people. Who cares who "announced" it first? I know many of you fanboys believe Apple invented the rectangle with rounded corners but I don't think they have a patent on "bigger."

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
Apple could really mess with them by generating fake rumors. "Apple rumored to produce 30" iPad Maxi". They'd follow.

----------

I'm curious how many people can actually focus on four things at once.

If you use email often enough, you can do it without thinking like how you can walk and talk. You'd probably burn your eyes out before you actually achieve that level of parallelization, though.

----------

Listen to some of you people. Who cares who "announced" it first? I know many of you fanboys believe Apple invented the rectangle with rounded corners but I don't think they have a patent on "bigger."

It's not about patents, just who is following who. I don't see anyone here calling for a lawsuit based on this.

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
Wish I could say the same. Our Samsung TV is about 3 years old now and while it's a decent TV it executes random commands as if the remote was sending signals (it's not, have had several universal ones over the years, same behaviour), which means the TV ends up being on in the middle of the night or while we watch a popup "command cannot be executed now" blends in... pretty annoying.

Maybe you have a poltergeist...? :eek:
But seriously, I had a Samsung TV that I liked a lot, and basically started doing the same thing. Just started turning off and on. Kind of annoying when you are watching a program and it just shuts off. I'm now a happy Visio user (cheap price, but still great quality IMHO).

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I do like the ability to run 4 apps simultaneously (although the Samsung 12.2 didn't seem to do it very smoothly). But is Samsung now taking pages from the MS playbook? They're creating their own fork of Android and turning it into live tiles? I guess their strategy is to grab anyone who might want an iPad and also anyone who might want a Surface. The interface reminds me of Luminis, the clunky visual "portal" that Oracle makes. There's just too much information on the screen at once.

andrew78

macrumors member
May 4, 2013
well... I have this funny feeling that the iPad pro won't *just* be a bigger screen. seems to me like it would be a touch screen laptop. IMHO.

This is just a bigger screen. These are the kinds of things that we'll be buying in 10 years to throw on the wall just because they're dirt cheap and we figure "why not?"

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

To some extent, multi-window multitasking on iOS would be nice. But 4 apps at one time? There's a reason why I have a computer...

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Dude. My phone can be a mother****ing TV remote.

I don't know why anyone would buy an iPhone when you can get the clearly superior Samsung™ Galaxy® 4G LTE™ Snapdragon™ NFC© Quad-Core® PenTile™ 128 GB, now with TV Remote Plus.™

Too many ™ for me.

Never used more than 32GB, at least not that anything short of 512GB would fix, nowhere in my area uses nfc, and cores don't matter as much when software can't handle it.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I'm multitasking on 3 apps right now on iOS. No sure what your talking about.:cool:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
For me it's not about Samsung following Apple but diluting their brand. They need someone to come in and seriously streamline their product line, at least in the mobile space. Why do they need the Note and the Tab? Why not have one brand and then cheaper/more expensive devices within that brand? Also I think they need someone to tell them they don't need to release everything they throw at the wall. It's almost as if Samsung thinks quantity = innovation, or at least that's what the public perception will be.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Apple really has to start leaking all kinds of ridiculous product ideas to see all the crap Samsung puts out trying to beat them to market with. :)

(FYI, I'd never buy a 13 inch iPad)

(FYI 2, I'd consider the iPad Mini if it had full phone capabilities).

I am interested the exact reasons why you publicly said you will never buy a 13" iPad.
I suggest it's to cover your ass, as you do think they will make a larger model, perhaps 11.9 or 12.1 and you can happily buy it, knowing you only said no to the 13" model as you feel pretty confident it will never be this large.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.