Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdiori

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Here are my impressions. I love it. I have the Samsung Galaxy s 6 edge. One thing I've noticed is it keeps saying that someone is trying to modify the settings and to restart the phone. Anyone know how to stop that?

The screen blows away my iPhone 6. It's so so much better in my opinion. The camera. Wow. Way better. And this is a 5.1 inch screen yet it's smaller and feels lighter then my 4.7 inch iPhone. Crazy. The wireless charging is amazing. Tried with my friends.

I've used iPhone since 2007. May end up switching.

I'm really dreading returning the Note 5 I have. So damn nice, although I prefer the iOS keyboard to Google's or Samsung's. The screen makes me find reasons to look at the phone. Can't imagine switching because I'm so tied into the ecosystem, but damn if I'm not thinking about it.

Reactions: Ladyc0524

AnyTechFan

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2015
StateWide
I'm really dreading returning the Note 5 I have. So damn nice, although I prefer the iOS keyboard to Google's or Samsung's. The screen makes me find reasons to look at the phone. Can't imagine switching because I'm so tied into the ecosystem, but damn if I'm not thinking about it.

Forget the screen don't let it seduce you, fight it don;t switch you will not be happy after yours eyes get use to the screen and it suddenly doesn't look to appealing.

Reactions: Christian 5G

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
For my camera comparison, the Note 5 was pretty good. A little more vibrant/saturated, but still looks good and depends on personal preference.
Link to my 5 photo comparison so far. https://www.flickr.com/photos/29160657@N07/sets/72157657857509495/

Wow, the lines of a the fruit appear so much sharper. I'm viewing from my phone, maybe it's easier to see in comparison shots at this resolution. But it definitely beats my iPhone camera. Apple should be pissed, those aren't the first comparison shots I've seen, and it's been blogged all over. Hopefully on the 7 they up the camera game even more than 6s. Doubt the 6s will make that much of a difference to catch up to those shots.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Wow, the lines of a the fruit appear so much sharper. I'm viewing from my phone, maybe it's easier to see in comparison shots at this resolution. But it definitely beats my iPhone camera. Apple should be pissed, those aren't the first comparison shots I've seen, and it's been blogged all over. Hopefully on the 7 they up the camera game even more than 6s. Doubt the 6s will make that much of a difference to catch up to those shots.

Why would Apple be pissed? Doesn't the Lumia still have a better camera than the others still?

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I tested the camera out on the s6 this is in a dark room at night only the usual city lights iPhone does not do well on dim light this was almost no light. The flash did so well.
bf71fd3b7b5e4a8349c22c3d66ae606d.jpg

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Permissions suck. You have to agree to everything when you buy an app or else

Settings was hard to find and I felt frustrated.

They want me to sign up for a Samsung account but I'm not interested

Permissions is changing with Android M to be individual. Like in iOS.

So there's a learning curve. If you switched from Android to iOS, you'd be equally frustrated. A learning curve is a learning curve.

Simply don't sign up for a Samsung account. See - wasn't that easy?

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Why would Apple be pissed? Doesn't the Lumia still have a better camera than the others still?

Well, Apple kind of 'revolutionized' the MAINSTREAM smartphone camera market. There have been 'better' cameras on smartphones with higher megapixels available for years, but I think it's the first time Samsung's Galaxy's have definitively surpassed Apple in terms of quality. If you scale down those photos and look at them side by side it really isn't just the saturation, you can really see more detail, like watching HDTV against some lesser resolution. Technically they are now behind in the 'mainstream' market area for cameraphones, IMO. I was just thinking out loud, I'd be pissed as a brand. Hell I'm pissed as a consumer, lol.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Well, Apple kind of 'revolutionized' the MAINSTREAM smartphone camera market. There have been 'better' cameras on smartphones with higher megapixels available for years, but I think it's the first time Samsung's Galaxy's have definitively surpassed Apple in terms of quality. If you scale down those photos and look at them side by side it really isn't just the saturation, you can really see more detail, like watching HDTV against some lesser resolution. Technically they are now behind in the 'mainstream' market area for cameraphones, IMO. I was just thinking out loud, I'd be pissed as a brand. Hell I'm pissed as a consumer, lol.

With all due respect a phone that just came out supposedly has a better camera than a phone that came out a year ago. Doesn't feel shocking. The mainstream market is more than 2 phones imo. But we'll see in two weeks I guess.

Genejwalker1987

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2015
Mannnnn if we are talking cameras. Sony....... Nuff said. Although I overall their phones suck. Their. Cameras are stupid ridiculous.

Reactions: Chicki

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
No one is disputing that better cameraphones have existed, just not in the mainstream market. When you think of flagship devices you think Galaxy, Note, iPhone, maybe some HTC's. Otherwise there are just high end devices that are niche and no one really knows about/is not marketed towards. For once there is a heavily known 'brand' with a better camera than Apple. Seems important to me, hopefully it is to them lol.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
With all due respect a phone that just came out supposedly has a better camera than a phone that came out a year ago. Doesn't feel shocking. The mainstream market is more than 2 phones imo. But we'll see in two weeks I guess.

And also, the S6 camera it still is a slower camera, it's a wash in low light (very slightly better PQ, but focus and shot to shot is slower (in parts because of bigger picture to process) so unless you're on a tripod the Iphone still comes out a bit ahead) and it gets beat in Video (there's a lot more to good video than resolution).

In decent light with time to set up the shot, the S6 wins, no question. But, that's not the case of most photos you take. I'd say 60% of my photos are taken in no so good light conditions were the S6's advantage even currently is minimal to zero.

Brag

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
New England
I boxed up the phone today and I'll ship it back in a few hours. I didn't include any of the accessories. ( I needed a new charger for my kindle :D) So I'll let you know if I'm docked for those.
I also included a nice note thanking them for use of the phone, mentioned what I liked and what i thought they could improve on. Maybe I'll get the 6S

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I boxed up the phone today and I'll ship it back in a few hours. I didn't include any of the accessories. ( I needed a new charger for my kindle :D) So I'll let you know if I'm docked for those.
I also included a nice note thanking them for use of the phone, mentioned what I liked and what i thought they could improve on. Maybe I'll get the 6S

Terms say accessories don't have to be included in the return, so you shouldn't be charged for keeping them.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
But the return kit says to include all accessories when you're returning it.

Yeah, then it should probably be returned. But the terms and conditions state "Accessories Do Not Have to be Included (Earbuds, Charging Cord, Charger)" in the $0 Cost for Damages bracket.

Last edited:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Got the S6 Edge. Screen is very nice. But the amount of crap Verizon software on the phone was kind of shocking. Feel like the phone came with a ton of advertisements. Amazon as well. A bunch of Free to Play games to swindle me of time and money. Just a lot of not cool stuff.
But hardware seems really good.

VARTV

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
I really wish Apple starts adding more ram to the new phones. Everything opens and runs great with the 3GB of ram in the S6 Edge.
I do feel the Edge is very responsive compared to the iPhone. I use an app to control our Yamaha receiver. It is quicker with the Edge compared to iPhone...

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I do feel the Edge is very responsive compared to the iPhone. I use an app to control our Yamaha receiver. It is quicker with the Edge compared to iPhone...
I did a comparison with a few apps with both phones next to each other and the edge beat the iPhone every time. I opened the apps and navigated a little bit after they were opened. Overall the Edge beat my iPhone. I really want more ram now...

VARTV

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
I did a comparison with a few apps with both phones next to each other and the edge beat the iPhone every time. I opened the apps and navigated a little bit after they were opened. Overall the Edge beat my iPhone. I really want more ram now...
I would agree. I downloaded the Bank of America app this morning to "deposit" some checks. Noticeably faster than the iPhone. I'm not keeping the Edge phone. We're too much into the iOS ecosystem it would be nice if the 6S and 6S+ come with more RAM...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.