Samsung LCD TV + Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by blackbones, Sep 8, 2005.

1. blackbones macrumors member

I basically use my powerbook for email, internet and movie watching. After discussing it with my wife we thought it would be a good idea to get a monitor for our bedroom as it would be nice to watch the movies on something larger than the 15" powerbook screen.

I was going to head over to the apple store today to pic up the 20" cinema screen... Yesterday afternoon i happened to be in a BestBuy and decided to look at the LCD TVs. To my surprise i could pick up a 23" samsung lcd tv for $899. It has pc and S-Video inputs among other a bevy of other options.

So my question, for someone who is mainly going to be using this extra device to watch movies, does it make more sense to get an LCD TV that is cheaper, bigger and can handle a ton more imputs including cable tv etc? Or am i missing something?

2. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

look at the dell 24" LCD...its a little more expensive but i belive you get the same inputs and it is super sharp and can be VESA mounted so you can put it on your wall if you want...click the shop icon at the top right of this site and check it out....it was recently on there for only $888

3. blackbones thread starter macrumors member

Thanks wrxguy.

To be clear i was looking at this model samsung TV: Samsung LN-R238W 23" LCD TV

It is classified as a TV and not a monitor. Just kinda wondering if im going to run into any problems.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The resolution is what you need to worry about. What is its native resolution? I'm better its nowhere near as good as the Dell display... Higher resolution (for anything) means better pictures.

5. blackbones thread starter macrumors member

Resolution is 1366x768

And again im really into the fact that i can use this to watch DVDs and then if i get cable it can handle and HD signal.

6. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Is it this one? (I know the price is different online, but in-store specials may differ by location... for your $899 price)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...goryId=cat15024&type=product&id=1110265593688

If this is the TV you're referring to, maybe someone here can interpret the specs for you and see if this TV will be able to do what you want it to.

EDIT: Re-read previous post... yep, this is the TV. :)

7. blackbones thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all, just went over to best buy with my powerbook, awesome sales person let me hook it right up and supplied me with all kinds of cables to check out. The DVI to AV looked OK, was def good enough for dvd, then they popped the DVI to HDMI on there and it was awesome, almost as clear as a regular monitor. And about 200 cheaper and 3" bigger than a 20" apple cinema.

8. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

If I were in your shoes (well, at least having some extra cash to be in your shoes), the only reason I would get the ACD was for its looks... like a previous poster said, and like you're discovering, there are plenty of alternatives out there that will more than do the job.

Me, when I get my next desktop, it'll get paired up with a Dell FP I think.

Good luck on your purchase (or purchase-to-be), hope it works out for you. :)