Samsung May Invest Over $7 Billion to Supply OLED Displays for Future iPhones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 14, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung Display is close to reaching an agreement with Apple to supply flexible OLED displays for future iPhones, and will invest up to $7.47 billion in OLED manufacturing equipment to fulfill orders, according to Korea-based ET News.

[​IMG]

Samsung's display-making division will reportedly increase OLED display production by 30,000 to 45,000 panels per month this year, followed by an additional 45,000 substrates each month in 2017, per the terms of its nearly finalized contract.

OLED manufacturing and inspection equipment will primarily come from South Korean display businesses AP Systems and HB Technology, the report claims.

Multiple reports claim Apple will launch iPhones with OLED displays in 2018. In addition to Samsung Display, the OLED panel orders may be spread out over a number of suppliers, possibly including AU Optronics, LG and Japan Display. All three display makers have supplied Apple with LCD panels for existing iPhones.

Apple is reportedly operating a Taiwanese factory where a team of engineers are developing thinner, lighter and brighter displays for future Apple devices. The secretive lab may be specifically focused on flexible OLED and Micro-LED display technologies for use in future-generation iPhones.

Article Link: Samsung May Invest Over $7 Billion to Supply OLED Displays for Future iPhones

2. JaySoul macrumors 68000

JaySoul

3. AdonisSMU macrumors 601

4. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

Funny how business works... you'd think Apple would be working hard to pull away from Samsung for parts... but I can imagine that's a tough deal too... these sort of factories are not born over-night and getting the work force for them isn't over night either.

5. muadibe macrumors regular

It seems Samsung has more confidence in Apple than Wall Street analysts.

6. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 6502a

Mac Fly (film)

Samsung have no values. I wish Apple would go vertical regarding displays or at least not partner with Samsung so they suffer the karma they deserve.

7. icolove macrumors member

Businesses generally shouldn't be run like schoolyard scuffles.

8. icehockey77 macrumors member

icehockey77

9. johnnyturbouk macrumors demi-god

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    Having just finally broken away from my Samsung shackles, I purchased an LG Oled TV- wow, almost as amazing as my new rImac. Wonder if Apple should partner up exclusively with LG, or just buy pioneer maybe.

10. gsmornot macrumors 68020

gsmornot

I'm looking forward to OLED in iPhones. The more companies like Samsung and LG and others produce OLED screens the sooner the price for other types of displays will drop. I'm holding out on 4K until the price of OLED TV's come down a bit.

Apple watch is already using OLED and you can tell when you look at the black levels. Fantastic compared to my phone which itself is nothing to complain about.

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

That would severely damage the iPhone.

Everyone goes to Samsung for displays. As a result, Samsung has a ton of experience in the field. Even for all its spats with the various Android OEMs, Apple isn't stupid enough to reinvent the wheel and face all the troubles Samsung has gone through.

12. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

The article states that the increase in production is 30k-40k screens a month. This is an insignificant amount in relation to iPhone sales. They sold 48 million phones in the past quarter.

13. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

That is a crazy expensive TV.

As for Samsung that is quite an investment. I guess the iPhones are still selling well after all.

14. mantan macrumors 68000

That's a naïve and simplistic view of how the real business world works. Apple and Samsung are each multibillion dollar companies driven by never ending goal of growing profits and revenue. They both have made billions off of their relationship. While they may have clashed on a few items in the consumer good side, as a supplier their relationship has a huge success for both of them.

Apple would be crazy to try to 'go vertical' and invest the time, money and infrastructure trying to build the capacity/knowledge to do build what Samsung is able to provide.

15. B.A.T macrumors 6502

It actually says 30,000 to 45,000 panels per month this year, followed by an additional 45,000 substrates each month in 2017. How many screens can they make from one substrate? I'd bet it is a lot.

16. tito2020 macrumors 6502

Samsung has so much patents in oled alone thats why dominate the tv market.

17. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

OLED diode technology was invented by researchers at the Eastmen Kodak company in 1987. Now what happened?

18. Ivanovitchk macrumors member

Ivanovitchk

imo they build large panels that are cut into many smaller screens.

19. macs4nw macrumors 68040

macs4nw

When flexible OLED screens are needed, you just know that phone is gonna be credit-card thin...... :D

20. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Samsung make amazing phone displays these days so this is good news

21. tito2020 macrumors 6502

They invented it but samsung made it better

22. gnasher729 macrumors G5

gnasher729

Wall Street analysts have all the confidence in the world in Apple.
    However, they can make money by talking Apple down, so what do you think they are going to do?

Nobody cares about the TV market, because nobody makes money in the TV market. And any OLED display used in a TV has nowhere near enough resolution to be used in an iPhone or any other current smartphone.

23. Ivanovitchk macrumors member

Ivanovitchk

the watch already has flexible oled. It's required for force touch.

24. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

Love it. Just switched back to using a iphone 5S from a samsung S6 and I do miss the blacks and contrast of the oled screen. Hope Oled continues to improve can't wait to eventually buy an oled tv within a couple years.

25. dBeats macrumors 6502a

dBeats

That's a good boy Samsung. Goooood boooooy. Now fetch...