Samsung ML-1710 printer problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by joeyjojoe, Dec 10, 2003.

1. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

I have a Samsung ML-1710, and am having a problem with the print quality. Whatever I print, text or image, comes out very hazy ... as if the toner were out. I've tried it on a Windows machine and its fine, the problem only happens on my Powerbook.

I'm pretty sure its because of the drivers, so I've tried all the drivers on the samsung website, and none of them improve the print quality.

Anyone have ideas about how to fix this?

2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Try the gimp print (Open source Linux drivers) drivers, they are way better than the crap HP drivers (Win/Mac), so they might fix your Samsung problems as well.

3. joeyjojoe thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i tried those also. to no avail. now i'm starting to think its the toner cartridge. i'm not willing to replace it since i've only printed 100 pages or so, and the toner costs $80, whereas i bought the printer for $100.

is there a personal laser printer out there that is completely functional with macs?

4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I use the Minolta 2300 DL, though its only "supported" on windows, it works on CUPS enabled systems like OS X and Linux, it costs more than your priter though...and is a **tch to setup...

There are HP laser printers that I have seen, there are actually quite a few, I think apple has a page called "Made for Mac" that lets you search for programs and H/W for your Mac from third parties....

You might try to share your printer from your windows machine and print to it from your Powerbook. You have Panther? It should be pretty easy if so.

5. joeyjojoe thread starter macrumors regular

unfortunately i bought my powerbook as a desktop replacement, so i have no windows system.

does someone have an HP personal laser? how is the quality on it using panther?

6. kathykny macrumors newbie

minolta 2300

Dear Fukui:

Could you please tell me how you got your magicolor 2300 dl to print through cups? i have tried everything including hiring someone to come in to fix it (they told me that it couldn't be done...but I know that's not true thanks to you). What I have tried so far is setting up the printer as ipp printer, jetdirect printer, and a lp printer. i've also tried using the foomatic driver for the 2300dl, the qms laser printer driver on cups, and the qms magicolor driver on cups. You are my last chance to make this work. Please help.

Thanks,
    Kathy

7. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Re: minolta 2300

You need to download the foo2zjs component, the PPD, and the color profiles (extract them on a Virtual PC) and leave them in the directory of the source files for foo2zjs. The problem that happens is after compilation of the foo2zjs, the installer runs into a problem when installing the manual pages for foo2zjs. You need to remove the parts near the end of the config file that script the moving of the man pages, then everything else should go and install fine. You should also check in /usr/local/ and see if there are any cups directories, certain directories are not created that should be. Check around in /usr and /bin directories, you may have to manually move the foo2zjs binaries around into /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin

secondly, when adding the printer, have the printer be on a lan, then set the IP address somehow. In print center, hold the "alt" key and click "add printer" click the menu and choose "advanced" this will give you some options. Now choose LPR printer, and enter the address as it appears, it should look something like this: lpr://10.0.1.2/lp (where 10.0.1.2 is the address of the printer), choose the foo2zjs Minolta PPD from the bottom popup list and then try to print something. I have had mixed results from Jag, but on Panther it has worked every time.

And the guy you hired, is he a linux or BSD guy? He should have been able to do it fine, as long as he used the CUPS web browser interface anyways...

Good Luck