Samsung ML-1740 Laser printer: Mac compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pass2Yao, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Pass2Yao macrumors member

Hey people,
    I did a search for the samsung 1740 laser printer on macrumors and I found a couple of people who claim that they were able to get it to work with their macs, despite no claims of compatibility on samsung's website. Since these two individuals have not returned their private messages...I'm wondering if any of you have had any luck with this laser printer with your mac. And if so, where did you find the driver? (I am using panther currently) The price on this baby is unbelievable, around 50 bucks after rebate. If any of you know of any other laser printers under 100 bucks that are worthy, please let me know. Thanks for your help, and Happy 4th :)

2. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

3. Pass2Yao thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Simie!!! Has anyone in the U.S. tried these drivers and had them work? I wonder how the Samsung models differ in Australia from the U.S. models. Interesting. Any thoughts or opinions out there?

4. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Try using the DMG version.

It is supposed to be the fastest driver.

5. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I have that printer and it works fine for me.

6. Pass2Yao thread starter macrumors member

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I tried purchasing it yesterday. There weren't any left or it was discontinued or something.

8. greatferm macrumors newbie

Samsung ML-1740

I got one at Best Buy yesterday, and finally got it working with my Powermac G4 133 mhz. Had a difficult time getting it going, but I'm new to Mac, having shifted from Windows late last year

Got the driver from samsung.au. There are several versions, and finally 2.5 worked for me (OSX 10.3.9).

The installation process was not simple. I think it took about 15 attempts, but as an old Windows user, I'm used to that.

9. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I purchased this printer back in January. While using Panther I used a driver that I obtained from the regular samsung site. When I switched to Tiger, the driver didn't seem to work anymore...so I got the aforementioned driver from samsung.au and everything works fine now. Good little cheap laser printer...

10. Pass2Yao thread starter macrumors member

Great to know guys. Thanks for the input...I'm going to swing by and see if I can pick it up at best buy.
    -Louis