Samsung Mocks iPhone Fans in New Galaxy S II Ad

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 23, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung has released a new commercial for its Galaxy S II smartphone, stepping up its direct assault on the iPhone by mocking dedicated iPhone fans who wait for hours in long lines for the launch of the latest model despite it looking identical to the previous one.

The ad plays on the excitement of iPhone fans waiting to get their hands on a new model who are then distracted by seeing passersby carrying the Samsung Galaxy S II. The iPhone fans' interest is gradually piqued, although some hold out in their apparently irrational dedication to the iPhone:
    The ad goes on to tout the Galaxy S II's large screen and 4G data capabilities, concluding with one of the Samsung users saying, "Yeah, it's a Galaxy S II. This phone...is amazing."

Article Link: Samsung Mocks iPhone Fans in New Galaxy S II Ad

2. macrumors member

scottdot

Way to convince Apple loyalists to try your products, Samsung, by insulting them. Sure...that'll work.

3. macrumors 603

notjustjay

You mean like the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads?

4. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Does Samsung even have any fans? Sure people will love the Samsung Galaxy S II until a week goes by and another company makes a slightly faster Android phone.

5. macrumors 6502a

MasterHowl

lame

6. macrumors regular

It's harder to say "Samsung Galaxy S II" than it is to say "Apple iPhone 4S"…

Also, what is it with these names? HTC Amazing E45, Motorola SMRTPHN R31, Samsung Universe R IV, LG Awesome T345…

7. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

That made fun of PCs, not people who use PCs.

8. macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I love Apple and their products. But that ad is hilarious and fanboys waiting in line are pathetic.

9. macrumors member

As Gruber pointed out at Daring Fireball, http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/11/23/samsung-galaxy-s-ad, the Mac vs. PC ads were able to mostly toe the line between making a buffoon out of PCs and not making a buffoon out of people who USE the PCs. Not always perfectly, but it was something they did pretty well overall.

10. satchow, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

macrumors 6502

Always funny when AndroidOS phones mock iPhone 4s battery life.

11. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The I'm a Mac, I'm a PC ads were funny and honest portraying the PC as geeky, stuffy and using frustrating facts that were true while playing to Apple's strengths.

They were not insulting, mean spirited, etc. I hope Samsung sees that they are insulting the very customers they are targeting. This could backfire big time. It's a negative campaign.

12. Caliber26, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

macrumors 65816

Caliber26

Already being discussed HERE. Next time, search and merge. Thx.

13. macrumors newbie

in that video there's a proper iPhone compared to a Samsung. Can they do that? Surely Apple would find some loophole about copyright or something and retaliate. But yeh I agree, they won't be winning any new customers with an offensive ad

14. macrumors member

scottdot

Bingo. There's the big difference.

15. Guest

toddybody

Sure, Im not gonna jump ship any time soon...but you cant deny that was hilarious. They totally captured the Apple fan cliches. I Loved it:D

16. macrumors newbie

Comparing Macs and PCs

The difference is, Apple's ads compared the devices themselves, not the owners.

Apple tried this tactic of insulting users of competing products with its Lemmings ad in the 80's too. It wasn't particularly well-received.

In Samsung's case, it sounds like they and their ad agency have decided that insulting both iPhone owners and Starbucks employees, neither of which are minorities in their respective markets, is a #winning strategy. They must be inhaling Charlie's fumes.

17. macrumors 68030

kbmb

The missing extended edition

I'm waiting for the extended edition of the ad....where after seeing the Galaxy S II, the people in line look again and the person on the bench has another new phone.

"Why another new phone?"

"Oh, because the Galaxy S II is already out of date...I need the latest! There's a new Android phone every day and a half.....IT'S GREAT!!!"

-Kevin

18. macrumors member

That suc@s

this ad sucks, talks about battery life :confused:, android still trying to keep their phones on longer than 4 hours without the need to plug it in...:eek:

19. macrumors 603

notjustjay

OK, how about "1984"?

Or "Lemmings"?

20. macrumors 603

Stella

LOL thats funny.

Good angle on the whole "3.5G is really 4G" marketing crap.

4G is the *only* 4G, I wish carriers and manufacturers ( i.e., Apple ) would stop marketing 3.5G as if it were 4G.

21. macrumors newbie

Do you honestly think they are going after the loyalists? They are going after the large number of iPhone owners whose heads aren't so far up their barista butts that they cannot see anything positive about a non-Apple product. I own an iPhone (and an iPod and an iMac) but would love a bigger screen and the Samsung delivers on that. It's a funny commercial. +1 to Samsung there.

22. macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

As others have said, I don't think this commercial would convince any Apple fan to "jump ship"; if anything it would solidify their like for Apple. I don't see this being a very effective advert.

23. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

People also criticized Apple's Lemmings commercial similarly. Insulting the people they were trying to attract.

24. macrumors 603

notjustjay

What I find interesting is that even while lampooning them, Samsung is acknowledging in their own commercial the demand and desirability for Apple products. When have we ever seen line-ups outside Samsung retailers for their newest phone or tablet?

25. SvP
    macrumors 6502

i thought the ad was very funny.

My refusal to consider samsung is more based on the lack of upgradeability in software and the lack of apps, the plasticky feel, the bad support and the nonexistent store experience (i like stores) including the bad sync options, and the utter lack of class that "samsjung" has. Ofcourse i invested a lot into apps games and stuff, with i'm not going to trade in also..