Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshwawilson

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Missouri
I agree with all that completely! I love the apple ecosystem I've built up in my home:p

iMac...airport extreme...apple tvs on both tvs...my iPad and iPhone...and now the rest of my family is going to get an iPhone when they can!
The samsung people sound like my sister who is an android fangirl who works at verizon.
"omgz the screen is so much bigger and it has 4G which is unavailable in most of the country!"

When i play with her phone, the screen feels so plasticky, my finger doesn't glide across it like it does on an iphone and it skips. The phone itself is made of plastic as well, my iphone is still more aesthetically pleasing without a case. But looks are just a small part of it, it still has android. Lately her phone has developed a nasty habit of hanging up her calls when it feels like it (not dropped calls, the phone software actually just ends them), and there is a bug in her built in alarm clock app that won't allow her to snooze anymore, even though it used to. I'll stick to my "tiny" screen and iOS 5 until next year. Thanks.

Not to mention, android can't airplay to my apple tv, which i use EVERY DAY, nor can it function as a remote control. No sale for me. It has a bigger screen, but at what cost? I'm not willing to sacrifice overall functionality for a couple of features that we'll see on the next iphone anyway.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Does Samsung even have any fans? Sure people will love the Samsung Galaxy S II until a week goes by and another company makes a slightly faster Android phone.

Hah exactly. I can't wait for the HTC Andromeda Interrogate Pisces III 4G comes out next month! Heard it'll sport a 15" screen, Superduper Amoled++ 640x480 screen, Acura Integra octacore processor and 7 minutes of battery life.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
The samsung people sound like my sister who is an android fangirl who works at verizon.
"omgz the screen is so much bigger and it has 4G which is unavailable in most of the country!"

When i play with her phone, the screen feels so plasticky, my finger doesn't glide across it like it does on an iphone and it skips. The phone itself is made of plastic as well, my iphone is still more aesthetically pleasing without a case. But looks are just a small part of it, it still has android. Lately her phone has developed a nasty habit of hanging up her calls when it feels like it (not dropped calls, the phone software actually just ends them), and there is a bug in her built in alarm clock app that won't allow her to snooze anymore, even though it used to. I'll stick to my "tiny" screen and iOS 5 until next year. Thanks.

Not to mention, android can't airplay to my apple tv, which i use EVERY DAY, nor can it function as a remote control. No sale for me. It has a bigger screen, but at what cost? I'm not willing to sacrifice overall functionality for a couple of features that we'll see on the next iphone anyway.

Android cannot do 1/10th of things I can actually do or do on my iPhone. All you have is to play with widgets and some more control over the preferences and the looks of the system. That's about it. Period.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
It's harder to say "Samsung Galaxy S II" than it is to say "Apple iPhone 4S"…

Also, what is it with these names? HTC Amazing E45, Motorola SMRTPHN R31, Samsung Universe R IV, LG Awesome T345…

duh!

Nothing is easier compared to GS2 or SGS2. Don't tell me nobody uses that.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
True. And Jobs and Sculley didn't like it, but the ad agency had done the 1984 ad and threatened to quit if they didn't run it :) (From the new bio)

People also criticized Apple's Lemmings commercial similarly. Insulting the people they were trying to attract.

YouTube: video

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
GS2 is a popular acronym, you can't deny that.

Repeat i4s and GS2 a few times. Tell me which one is easier on the tongue.

bow.gif

finkmacunix

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
Hah exactly. I can't wait for the HTC Andromeda Interrogate Pisces III 4G comes out next month! Heard it'll sport a 15" screen, Superduper Amoled++ 640x480 screen, Acura Integra octacore processor and 7 minutes of battery life.

640x480 :rolleyes:

But really, that is what they promote…

duh!

Nothing is easier compared to GS2 or SGS2. Don't tell me nobody uses that.
If someone used one of those terms, I'd think they where talking about some kind of Apple IIGS…

loosegee

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
When did you last see a line for a new Samsung product? Making fun of people because they want a different product more than yours and are willing to queue up for it. Interesting strategy.lol

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
What I find interesting is that even while lampooning them, Samsung is acknowledging in their own commercial the demand and desirability for Apple products. When have we ever seen line-ups outside Samsung retailers for their newest phone or tablet?

That was my thought too... sure you don't have to wait in line for a samsung because they just arent in demand. so why do I want one? Slightly larger screen doesn't convince me to leave behind what I know works great. For those that it does.. enjoy :)

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Haha gold

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I thought it was funny as an Apple fan ... got to be able to laugh at yourself. :)

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
Great ad! I thought this was clever and well done, and I'm not so insecure that I feel offended either. Really, guys, do we need to critique the ad like it's a political message?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Meh. It doesn't matter that they're insulting the fanboys...insulted or not, fanboys will always buy the products of what they're a fanboy too. That's why they're fanboys.
The point of the ad is to appeal to the general population to tell them not to get the new iPhone and be a silly fanboy themselves. And I think that ad is pretty spot on.
Btw: I have an iPhone. Won't switch.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Sure I immediately hate it 'cos it's anti Apple but dammnnn that's a well made advert!!

I did laugh a bit!

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

hot spare said:
i4S?

You use SGS2 in conversation to refer to Samsung Galaxy S2?

GS2 is a popular acronym, you can't deny that.

Repeat i4s and GS2 a few times. Tell me which one is easier on the tongue.

Who the **** knows what a gs2 is?

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Well, let me start by saying, comparing Apple's follies of years ago in advertising with modern agency work is moot. We are leagues beyond in demographic research, etc and on top of that Apple obviously learned their lesson.

Second, it's all about nuance. These ads very blatantly target the individual user of Apple products. The Mac VS PC ads dodged this bullet by making it lighthearted and highlighting the difference between the PC and Mac themselves, and turning THEM into characters. I would even say that the lemmings ad was MUCH more ambiguous in it's statement.

Either way, it's rarely a good idea to target a demographic for ridicule. You have to work magic to have it pull off well.

It also comes off as though Samsung is jealous that Apple creates an experience with their products that they can't match. Painting their own customers as aloof and disinterested in general. I really enjoy my technological gadgets. I like to let others know how much I like them and I do that for any product that inspires me. What Apple did was create a perfect storm of product loyalty among people that typically evangelize and may be the connectors among their peers. It's brilliant.

Other manufacturers toss their products out like they are making pancakes. There is no investment even though you are still paying hundreds of dollars per phone. It's not something I take lightly when I buy a product that costs hundreds of dollars. If something new comes out every two months it psychologically makes me feel I've already been forgotten about as soon as they have my money.

Obviously this approach doesn't work for everyone, but that's the point. I don't think Apple cares if they get everyone, really. They are doing pretty amazing with their "high end" approach. I honestly would never want them to dilute their line with "entry level" product anyway. I like that now, when I buy an Apple product, typically I'm getting one of the highest quality products money can buy when factoring in support, ecosystem, materials, fit and finish, iOS/hardware synergy and customer satisfaction. When you start to muddy those waters you leave people guessing as to what they are getting with any particular product, I don't want to do that. It's and experience that is rarely reproduced. I experienced it with Doc Marten's in the 90s, Honda throughout my life and IBM thinkPad. I've seen it with Oakley sunglasses, Diesel watches and cross pens.

Always exceptions to the rule of course, but this is their general approach.

People also criticized Apple's Lemmings commercial similarly. Insulting the people they were trying to attract.

YouTube: video

Last edited:

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
What I find interesting is that even while lampooning them, Samsung is acknowledging in their own commercial the demand and desirability for Apple products. When have we ever seen line-ups outside Samsung retailers for their newest phone or tablet?

Yes, nice way to admit that your customers will never be as loyal or excited about a product launch.

pacmacman

Suspended
Jan 6, 2010

notjustjay said:
Way to convince Apple loyalists to try your products, Samsung, by insulting them. Sure...that'll work.

You mean like the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads?

The ads you're referring to we're making fun of the *platform*. This is making fun of actual users. The strategy here is bizarre. It's a commercial designed to appeal to people who already would be interested in th S2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.