Samsung monitor question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Roba, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Roba macrumors 6502

Hi i am about to purchase a new monitor as my current monitor/tv has to go into another room. Basically i am looking for a monitor that has Composite output and S-Video output. I have got it down to these two models Samsung 225BW in silver and the Samsung the SM215TW in silver.
    I need this monitor to have fairly discreet integrated speakers or an additional soundbar with at least a resolution of 1440x900. I intend to hook my satellite box up to my monitor to watch TV and i also intend to hook my laptop up also.

I have also considered Dell with an added soundbar but i think that the Samsung models would be a better bet as it is the same colour as my laptop.

I have two questions, the Samsung US and UK site list the Samsung 225BW model as having optional speakers. I wonder if this is an error? I slightly prefer the design of this monitor and if i can get optional speakers for this i would like to. Do you know if i can get optional speakers for this model? If i got the 215TW model but found out that i could have got optional speakers for the 225BW model then i am going to be a bit disappointed. Listed below is the product info for this model and specs. Samsung only list this model as having optional speakers. If you know anything about this and the optional speakers that are needed if i can get them for this model then please link them for me.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/lcd/wide/ls22dpwcsqedc.asp?page=Specifications

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS22DPWCBQXAA.asp?page=Specifications

http://www.samsung.com/uk/business/...fessional/sm205bw_and_sm215tw_and_sm225bw.htm

Specs of the SM215TW
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/lcd/wide/ls21dpwasqedc.asp?page=Specifications

Also, i was wondering which cable to buy a S-Video or Composite cable? Which output would give me the best picture with my satellite box? I have been using scart before but i need to change it now.

Thanks

2. Locatel macrumors regular

3. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I think you mean composite and S-video input. ;)

As for the quality question, S-video is the superior standard. Make sure you get a Y-adapter for the audio cables if you're using built-in speakers while you're out.

4. Roba thread starter macrumors 6502

Locatel and matticus008 thank you both for your help.

Locatel i think that i will just get the 215TW model now. I am going to have a look at the Dell again i think though but i will most probably get the 215TW Samsung monitor. I really think that the optional speakers that Samsung listed must be an error because they have no speakers listed on their site and also i googled it and came up with nothing.

5. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

6. frenchy macrumors newbie

Samsung 913BM in vertical mode

Hello,

I'm looking for a 19" LCD monitor to use with my Powerbook 15" 1,67GHz. I do a lot of word processing and I am pretty much interested in the Samsung 913BM which can rotate 90°.

Apparently, you need some application/driver to have the image rotated. The vendor said that this software is only available for Windows... Any idea if I can get this working on my PB ?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can manually rotate the screen orientation in display preferences, perhaps the driver is only to detect the change if you intent to go from portrait to landscape "dynamically".

B

8. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

The software is for Windows manual rotation, as XP does not natively support it. Most people have video cards which handle it, so the monitor driver is entirely superfluous for them. But on the off chance that you have a video card that doesn't support display rotation, the monitor driver will fill that gap.

It's a case of software being Windows-only because OS X doesn't need any additional software to do the same thing.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Ah! One of those. ;)

B

10. frenchy macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll try that !

[Edit] It worked very well ! I switched a couple of years ago and I am stil not used to macosx being sooooooooooooo simple to use.