Samsung Monitor (TV)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nickd06, Mar 18, 2006.

1. nickd06 macrumors member

So i am looking at buying a samsung lcd tv http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNR408DXXAA.asp I would like to connect my mac mini (the new one), to this screen as well as use it for tv use, and lastly to connect it to my ipod hi-fi. Is this possible? is there a better tv out there for the same or less $$$ that would work. Tanks in advance!

I don't know if i want the 40" i would be happy with there 32" model if it would work as well.

I am just worried about connecting a computer to a tv screen, i want it to be perfect as a mac monitor would be

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

It should be fine, although there are two caveats with this model. One, the input you'd be using is VGA, which might degrade quality somewhat. Also, the resolution is fairly low. Think of this monitor as a gigantic 15" PowerBook monitor. You'll have as much workspace as the notebook, but be able to see things from much further away. You won't want to work too close to this display because everything will be massive and sort of unattractive.

If you're asking whether this is going to be comparable to any of the cinema displays in terms of clarity and detail and resolution, the answer is no. But TV on this display will be far better than TV on a cinema display. It just depends on which tradeoff you're wanting to make.

3. nickd06 thread starter macrumors member

well which tv monitor out there 40" or less that is the BEST for connecting a mac? Cuz i am going to be on it quite a bit. I am not going to have alot of money seeing as how i am about to be in college and right now i have a 23" cinema display but i would like to sell it to get a tv and use if for both computer use and for a computer...What would be your advise?

4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Honestly, I would keep a decent computer LCD for working with the computer and buy a nice HDTV set for entertainment. They don't make resolutions on TVs all that high for a reason--TV would look pretty horrible upsampled to cinema display resolutions. If you must use one display for both purposes, it would be beneficial to get one that supported 1080 (i and/or p), but it all depends on your budget.

Why don't you just stick with the cinema display and buy an EyeTV or Plextor TV tuner instead? You can watch TV in a window (avoiding the artifacts with full-screen) and still do your computer work at a normal computer distance. When you're watching from the sofa or a bed, you can make TV or DVDs full screen, no problem.