Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Those ancient relics just work, weigh nothing, can be stepped on, and even used damaged. Yes, it's cool to use your phone but to each their own.
Funny how you love those ancient credit cards but praise apple for removing the headphone jack. Telling members here to let go of ancient technology (aux port).
Those ancient earphones with an aux connection just works, weigh nothing, doesn't needs to be charged. Yes its cool to use Bluetooth earphones but to each their own.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Funny how you love those ancient credit cards but praise apple for removing the headphone jack. Telling members here to let go of ancient technology (aux port).
Those ancient earphones with an aux connection just works, weigh nothing, doesn't needs to be charged. Yes its cool to use Bluetooth earphones but to each their own.
The answer is simple mate.When Apple does it,its REVOLUTIONARY,AMAZING,such innovation .If Apple Pay had record adoption they would be singing a completely different tune

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
One has nothing to do with another...but nice deflection.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Android users are the worst. I've been using cell phones since the days of the Moto brick, I've owned and/or used damn near every OS and trust me, Android users are the rudest ****ing ignorant pricks in the tech world. Just my observations. I was literally told to kill myself because I said I thought iOS was better at some than Android.

And before you ****s start freaking out, I'm using a Nexus 6.
Although I wouldn't quite label people that way, my own observations and personal experience is similar. I've never seen anybody berate somebody for using an Android device away from a forum environment but I have been openly criticised myself for choosing an iPhone, in fact on 3 occasions and all were people I had only just met. People seem frustrated to see others not choosing android when it has so many more features in their eyes. I don't understand why it's anybody's business what phone I choose to buy, let alone challenge it over a dinner table.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Goodness I would have hated to be a guest at that dinner party ...
It was a wedding and the guy who brought it up looked like a total tool when I shrugged my shoulders and didn't give a toss. I didn't even engage in any form of debate which resulted in him going very red and changing the subject lol.

Reactions: MRU

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Although I wouldn't quite label people that way, my own observations and personal experience is similar. I've never seen anybody berate somebody for using an Android device away from a forum environment but I have been openly criticised myself for choosing an iPhone, in fact on 3 occasions and all were people I had only just met. People seem frustrated to see others not choosing android when it has so many more features in their eyes. I don't understand why it's anybody's business what phone I choose to buy, let alone challenge it over a dinner table.

Lol, I get crap for using Android all the time. I just got ganged up on by my 2 brothers and mom who use iphones the other day at dinner. I put my Note 5 and one of my brother's 6s+ next to each other and showed them how much larger the 6s+ was, yet it had a smaller screen, that shut him up for a bit.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Lol, I get crap for using Android all the time. I just got ganged up on by my 2 brothers and mom who use iphones the other day at dinner. I put my Note 5 and one of my brother's 6s+ next to each other and showed them how much larger the 6s+ was, yet it had a smaller screen, that shut him up for a bit.
I'm lucky nobody in my family cares or would be critical of something so insignificant.

Reactions: MRU

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Take them out to eat where Apple Pay is not accepted and use Samsung Pay. :p

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Both are equally bad actually.How about those "elite" iOS users who insult Android as being ghetto.In many countries iPhone is actually regarded as a status symbol

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Both are equally bad actually.How about those "elite" iOS users who insult Android as being ghetto.In many countries iPhone is actually regarded as a status symbol
I can only comment on my own personal experience. I have never met or encountered an 'elite' iOS user, I've seen them mentioned on here like you have above but not come across one myself.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Where I work there are far more android phones than iPhones. Amazing times seem to of changed.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Back up your "fact". I can see a Ferrari or gucci bag being a status symbol, but an iPhone? It wasn't even a status symbol in 2007?
[doublepost=1468845374][/doublepost]

This thread is so far afield invariably turned into another iOS vs android contest.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I can only comment on my own personal experience. I have never met or encountered an 'elite' iOS user, I've seen them mentioned on here like you have above but not come across one myself.

Same here, but in fairness I've never encountered an Android user here who is like that either. The folks I know personally and associate with simply don't give a poop about what phone is which as long as it does what they want it to do. They tend to call a spade a spade, a smart phone a smart phone, and any one who acted like that in reality would be simply labeled a d**k. In Ireland, especially rural Ireland there are no 7 degrees of separation, there are about 2, and getting you would easily gain a bad reputation.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Back up your "fact". I can see a Ferrari or gucci bag being a status symbol, but an iPhone? It wasn't even a status symbol in 2007?
[doublepost=1468845374][/doublepost]

This thread is so far afield invariably turned into another iOS vs android contest.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/status-insanity-why-the-i_b_5801748

"It goes without saying that the iPhone is a status symbol. But it's a revolutionary status symbol. Unlike that Birkin bag, it's a status symbol with really cool whiz bang upgrade-able features. That makes it a status symbol that actually does something instead of just sitting there, being a status symbol. And while we might have to bluff as we pretend to appreciate the finer points of 15-year-old single malts versus 18-year-old single malts, everyone can actually enjoy an iPhone, if not for its features, then just for its sheer aesthetics"

http://www.businessinsider.in/The-n...utives-on-launch-day/articleshow/49417426.cms

"The new iPhone is such a status symbol that this company sends an employee to buy one for all its executives on launch day"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/technology/apple-china-iphone-earnings.html?_r=0

"Apple iPhone, Once a Status Symbol in China"

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

"It goes without saying that the iPhone is a status symbol. But it's a revolutionary status symbol. Unlike that Birkin bag, it's a status symbol with really cool whiz bang upgrade-able features. That makes it a status symbol that actually does something instead of just sitting there, being a status symbol. And while we might have to bluff as we pretend to appreciate the finer points of 15-year-old single malts versus 18-year-old single malts, everyone can actually enjoy an iPhone, if not for its features, then just for its sheer aesthetics"

http://www.businessinsider.in/The-n...utives-on-launch-day/articleshow/49417426.cms

"The new iPhone is such a status symbol that this company sends an employee to buy one for all its executives on launch day"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/technology/apple-china-iphone-earnings.html?_r=0

If the iPhone is a status symbol in some countries then so be it. This doesn't mean everybody who buys it considers it this way. You may also want to consider that in western countries the iPhone is so popular it's long lost its status image due to it being ten a penny. It's about as much of a status symbol in my country as a Ford Fiesta.

Why do you buy it out of interest?

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I don't view it as a status symbol and status is given never taken. If some people think it's oozes status, so be it. My definition of a status symbol is what i quoted, not a 650 phone.

This might partially be the only thing you've been right about, some people aggrandize an electronic gadget. But then again some people will aggrandize anything. At least Apple is not alone: http://m.gsmarena.com/24k_goldplated_samsung_galaxy_s7_s7_edge_now_on_preorder-news-16931.php

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
If the iPhone is a status symbol in some countries then so be it. This doesn't mean everybody who buys it considers it this way. You may also want to consider that in western countries the iPhone is so popular it's long lost its status image due to it being ten a penny. It's about as much of a status symbol in my country as a Ford Fiesta.

Why do you buy it out of interest?
The iPhone is the only phone which works perfectly with both my Microsoft and Apple devices

Majority of the reason is because I prefer a whole ecosystem and since there is no Android tablet out there which competes with iPad the only thing which works with it is iPhone

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The "issue(s)" there would be with the people and/or society, not really with anything else.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
Samsung buying LoopPay was a smart (and costly) move. It immediately lets them say Samsung Pay is available everywhere. While Apple and Android Pay is not. However within 5 years, they will nearly all be identical in usage. So arguing over which is better today is just a pissing match. It is not like Samsung actually made any technology here. They outbid everyone else and implemented a legacy technology in their phones first.
So what you are saying is that it's not about how good the best phone on the market is today I.e, the s7 edge because in 5 years something might come along and best it... I think this is without doubt , hands down the most rediculous comment ever posted on MR!! For that Sir, I salute you!!

Oh, and if we are talking about buying technology here. Apple and finger print readers. Shall I go on... ?
Once again the rules that make you put apple on this mythical pedestal. Are also the ones that bring it crashing to the ground..

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
So what you are saying is that it's not about how good the best phone on the market is today I.e, the s7 edge because in 5 years something might come along and best it... I think this is without doubt , hands down the most rediculous comment ever posted on MR!! For that Sir, I salute you!!

Oh, and if we are talking about buying technology here. Apple and finger print readers. Shall I go on... ?
Once again the rules that make you put apple on this mythical pedestal. Are also the ones that bring it crashing to the ground..

I guess you are bored and trying to stir the pot, but this thread was truncated because of bickering. And my exact point was this is a stupid pissing match over a legacy technology that neither Samsung or Apple directly innovated.

And your hyperboles are without a doubt the most annoying thing I have ever seen on any internet forum.

You are barking at the wrong guy if you ever think I put Apple on any pedestal.

Last edited:

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
I guess you are bored and trying to stir the pot, but this thread was truncated because of bickering. And my exact point was this is a stupid pissing match over a legacy technology that neither Samsung or Apple directly innovated.

And your hyperboles are without a doubt the most annoying thing I have ever seen on any internet forum.

You are barking at the wrong guy if you ever think I put Apple on any pedestal.
So what you are saying is that because I disagree with the way you interpret modern technology as meaningless, as there will always be something better it makes my opinion annoying. Thanks for that, you may want to read up how forums work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.